Change Gear Oil @22,000km

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
From the article provided by Schwepps..

"..BMW source told the magazine the GM gearboxes were not up to standard.."

:eek: :eek:

Wow! I felt like wanting to jump into the LCI for a spin and see if its ratio and smoothness any difference..

Here's the complete court case paper: HTML format, download

The paper include the detailed specification and requirement for GA6l45r :eek:

Some interesting facts about the Spec:
Gear Ratio
1 gear: 4,065
2 gear: 2,371
3 gear: 1,551
4 gear: 1,157
5 gear: 0,853
6 gear: 0,674
R gear: -3,2

The permitted range of operating temperature lies between -30°C and +130°C sump temperature.

3.4.2.9 ATF
The use of a viscosity-optimised lifetime oil is to be provided for.
The supplier is to list any possible additional costs for the oil and its introduction.
Refilling in the service department and the oil level is made by means of the same rear right opening. A reclosable oil drain plug is to be provided in the oil pan.
The oil level is to be controlled dynamically in the service department:
In position P for an engine speed of 700 ± 100 1/min, a temperature between 30 and 50°C and with the vehicle standing horizontally.
The oil level is to be so arranged, that taking into consideration the tolerances and with the oil level set correctly then a secure operation of the trs under all occurring operating conditions can be assured.

3.5.4 Degraded or safety modes
In case of failure in the electronics ( Power interuption) for forward movement the following gear changes will be made:
Failure in 1-3 gears --> Emergency gear 3. gear
Failure in 4-6 gears --> Emergency gear 5. gear

It seems the GM box is meant to be an upgrade from the ZF box and BMW need to start using the GM box in 2008. BMW then went back to GM and tell them they need shift-by-wire and start-stop technology to be incorporated despite they mentioned in the spec but GM claim BMW has instructed them to put the technology on hold till further notice.. aiyaa.. very mafan la! I want to sleep d.. :sleep:

etquah;495543 said:
Wa lau le. Then our gearbox going to face this problem ???:31:

This time our Dearest LCI owners got scam big time ! You think BMW Malaysia will offer to LCI owners changed back to ZF gearbox for free???

GM boxes cheaper to maintain ma.. come, we swap boxes.. and testing.. :D

So its ZF GA6HP19Z versus GM GA6L45R.. which one better eh? We don't need start-stop technology..

Gear Ratio comparison GM/ZF
1 gear: 4.065/4.17
2 gear: 2.371/2.34
3 gear: 1.551/1.52
4 gear: 1.157/1.14
5 gear: 0.853/0.87
6 gear: 0.674/0.69
R gear: -3.2/-3.40

From the ratio.. it seems the ZF catered for take off while the GM cater for speed..

ET, bila mau main pickup?! reverse also can .. :eek: :D

But FC, GM seems more economical to run if the driver don't get too excited..

I think not much different la on the ratio as long as the GB reliable. I am tortise driver won't feel the different.:sleep:

etquah;495606 said:
I think not much different la on the ratio as long as the GB reliable. I am tortise driver won't feel the different.:sleep:

Then the GM box suite u like a glove.. good FC, smooth acceleration, comfort, latest design, cheap maintenance, metal oil pan with standalone filter.. ZF is more suitable for Rempit.. :love:

astroboy;495613 said:
Then the GM box suite u like a glove.. good FC, smooth acceleration, comfort, latest design, cheap maintenance, metal oil pan with standalone filter.. ZF is more suitable for Rempit.. :love:

AB, then your ZF gearbox is faster than our GM lor...:top:

sunnypuan;495650 said:
AB, then your ZF gearbox is faster than our GM lor...:top:

Not faster... but more pick up.. your one can tarik further.. wider range.. :D

astroboy;495701 said:
Not faster... but more pick up.. your one can tarik further.. wider range.. :D

Interesting...Maybe we can have a TT session soon to check out our gearboxes peformance...:4:

wow, u guys really know ur stuff, esp astroboy. according to the figures of gear ratio, yes ZF is better but as from my POV, GM gbox is easier 2 maintain, faster to work with and less leaking issues.

ZF is using the plastic sump, which u r recommended to replace the drain plug due to the material (high-temp resistance plastic) and the tightening torque (8Nm). trust me, most mech does not follow this tightening torque. if u exceed this tightening torque, it will probably damage the sump's thread and also the alan key hole to the drain plug. even the sump's screws tightening torques are a bit low (12Nm)

GM uses the steel sump, higher tightening torque, better placement of drain and filler plug and also the filter is replaceable. but of course the ratio is abit on the high side.

but im not saying which one is better, just sharing this info from my POV. on the issue of replacing the g/box oil, replacing it at 60k should b fine coz this is a normal g/box. if u r using a mini one, which uses CVT, then better change it sumwhere around 20k, just like what recommended by honda for their honda city. for me, on the 60k g/box interval, it is better for u guys to go for g/box oil flushing, which they will flush the remaining oil from the torque converter and also the g/box oil cooler + lines. it will cost more due to addition of 1-2 litres of g/box oil, but at least u have a peace mind knowing the whole g/box sys oil is clean. ohh, n ZF gbox oil is slightly expensive than d GM. they r using their own ZF oil normally the 516 (3 last part number) n GM is using ATF Dextron VI.

:top:Thanks. Good info. At least i dont spend unnecessary money changing something not required yet.

Hmmmnn... BMW Malaysia is like govt d, start listening to customers liao and admit that there's no such thing as "LifeTime" ATF, or 25k km oil change interval engine oil.. :D :top:

astroboy;499620 said:
Hmmmnn... BMW Malaysia is like govt d, start listening to customers liao and admit that there's no such thing as "LifeTime" ATF, or 25k km oil change interval engine oil.. :D :top:

They are probably scared of the idea we the E90 owner claiming from them a new gearbox in BULK !:eek:

etquah;500372 said:
Under BSRI, the change for us or we have to change at our own expense ?

Bro, I think we have to fork out the CASH leh.... Not under BSRI ! Call them and ask for a quote... You're be amazed ! More amazed if you're on ZF gearbox....:eek:

sunnypuan;500480 said:
Bro, I think we have to fork out the CASH leh.... Not under BSRI ! Call them and ask for a quote... You're be amazed ! More amazed if you're on ZF gearbox....:eek:

What was the damage? I did mine for about 1k. Oil, Filter and labour.

Top Bottom