Petronas RON95 extra, can be used? pls share your experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Fireuz;640639 said:
Yes.. correct.. correct... You're correct... Ron95 and ron97 not different by energy content hence this do not enhance power.

The difference in power felt happens when the ECU adjusts cam timing to complement the fuel quality. But is it significant? I don't know..I refuse to cough up the additional RM1 per liter :biggrin:

Eggie86;640666 said:
Petronas convert.

Single handedly one of the best decision I had made.

No longer using Shell ever since my first 95Xtra tank.

On my third full tank of Petronas 95Xtra in E46 N42, but still can't feel any different to Caltex in term of mileage and power. Perhaps I'm doing it on 100% city driving (office-home-office). Will try on the highway condition during this weekends when balik kg from KL to Batu Pahat. fingers crossed

tried it last month..was impressive. PJ to Kuantan and back about 520kms...used fuel just barely above the half tank mark....defintely using this...will try again in 2 weeks time for same journey.

blackrobe;642207 said:
tried it last month..was impressive. PJ to Kuantan and back about 520kms...used fuel just barely above the half tank mark....defintely using this...will try again in 2 weeks time for same journey.

:top: thats good fc bro :top: ... do halo2 bila sampai Kuantan bro ... we can TT together if you like ..:top:

I notice most people likes to compare highway driving :) To be honest, which car doesn't give good + reasonable mileage on highways? Even a crap Proton Perdana does. I think it makes more sense to compare urban or mixed type of driving.

e46_UDM;642152 said:
On my third full tank of Petronas 95Xtra in E46 N42, but still can't feel any different to Caltex in term of mileage and power. Perhaps I'm doing it on 100% city driving (office-home-office). Will try on the highway condition during this weekends when balik kg from KL to Batu Pahat. fingers crossed

Hello kawan..pm me if u want a mini TT in Batu Pahat..hehe

aoch88;643302 said:
I notice most people likes to compare highway driving :) To be honest, which car doesn't give good + reasonable mileage on highways? Even a crap Proton Perdana does. I think it makes more sense to compare urban or mixed type of driving.

Proton Perdana is not crap, my facelifted Perdana V6, a full tank of it can last me 2 weeks of 100% urban driving. being driven all over subang jaya for each and every day. Yes, the famous Subang Jaya traffic jam. And a drive up to KL once a week every saturday or sunday.

That doesn't show or mean anything. You need numbers like cents per km or litre per km.

Well, I remembered one of the OMs - Herbert, posting a method in which the FC for our cars can be computed by ourself, for a more accurate reading.

Many of us are not savvy with numbers, me included, and I just feel so lost when presented with numbers such as litres/km etc etc. All I ask for is my car to run properly with fuel and if the performance isn't affected, then woo hoo, I am a satisfied driver.

I suppose many of us who responded here have quoted mainly highway driving, cos well, many of us do travel a lot, whether outstations etc for business/leisure. Hope that doesn't rile you up.

If everyone's so concerned about fuel, might as well get a diesel, or a hybrid, or even the Kelisa/Viva since consumption is quite decent.

Cheers mate. Just my two cents.

aoch88;643650 said:
That doesn't show or mean anything. You need numbers like cents per km or litre per km.

Do u own and drive a BMW?if you do which model do you own because certain models with OBC (on board computer) calculate your consumption either by mpg and/or litres per 100 km and that also depends on whether you are heavy footed or not? Obviously you failed to understand one thing, if you need to calculate what's your fuel consumption or what's your road tax per annum, u are obviously not ready for UDM yet. Cheers......

aoch88;643650 said:

10L+/100km 100% urban drive, cause im not really a heavy footer... you right leg determines your fuel consumption... not what kind of crappy car you drive. Unless you drive a diesel.

You can even find it no point to be driving a hybrid if you have a heavy foot. Though the car on paper, where you read in NST's every sunday CARS BIKES TRUCKS pull out, is not a crappy car. Cause it is supposes to be modern and environmental friendly.

Furthermore, this thread is not to compare the fuel consumption between makes or even models. But it is to compare the fuel consumption between pre and post Petronas RON95 Extra. As per the thread's title.

ay39,
I just bought a BMW 530i LCI :) What BMW do you drive then? On the other note, if you compare something, you need to make sure it can be measured. If you have no statistics or measure, how do you determine fuel A is better than fuel B in this case? I'm sorry if you're a man of butt dyno but again, you need some common sense. I was referring to his comments about a Proton Perdana (if you miss it, please read again). Does a Perdana have OBC to calculate mileage? Please advice.

Iylia H;644151 said:
10L+/100km 100% urban drive, cause im not really a heavy footer... you right leg determines your fuel consumption... not what kind of crappy car you drive. Unless you drive a diesel.

You can even find it no point to be driving a hybrid if you have a heavy foot. Though the car on paper, where you read in NST's every sunday CARS BIKES TRUCKS pull out, is not a crappy car. Cause it is supposes to be modern and environmental friendly.

Furthermore, this thread is not to compare the fuel consumption between makes or even models. But it is to compare the fuel consumption between pre and post Petronas RON95 Extra. As per the thread's title.

I understand but again, you're just providing a generic statement. Even if it is to compare between "pre" and "post" Petronas RON95 Extra, how do you determine if it gives you better mileage? If your answer is "right foot" then you might as well keep the opinion yourself because it doesn't mean anything :) What I'm trying to say is you need some measurements or numbers to justify. If you don't have it, how do you measure/conclude? Please tell me?

You can argue all you want but bottom line is, you need a way to measure. No hard feelings :)

I believe everybody is giving opinions based on his rides n the way he behaves once behind the wheels..no one says that i should follow or drive likewise..IMHO arguably,we all know how to measure the FC n need to make comparison with others' rides to determine how our machine works, thats all....this is what we are doing actually, making comparison n sharing opinions..i would simply ignore if it doesnt suit my taste bud..lets have a healthier discussion..no heart feeling...

JFT63;644256 said:
I believe everybody is giving opinions based on his rides n the way he behaves once behind the wheels..no one says that i should follow or drive likewise..IMHO arguably,we all know how to measure the FC n need to make comparison with others' rides to determine how our machine works, thats all....this is what we are doing actually, making comparison n sharing opinions..i would simply ignore if it doesnt suit my taste bud..lets have a healthier discussion..no heart feeling...

I agree with you and in fact, I don't understand what's the issue with some members here who couldn't discuss maturely? :) Here's the chronology of the events:

1. Everyone is comparing highway driving so I'm trying to say if it's better to put some details about mixed/urban driving? Most cars would do well for highway driving and gives good mileage. I quoted Proton Perdana as a "crap" car as an example because Perdana is indeed a high fuel consumption car for urban driving and getting stucked in the jams. Someone got touchy and defended his Proton Perdana saying it's a great car but that's fine, it is his opinion and his car. However the thing we are missing out is, how do you conclude that the consumption is indeed good without numbers? If we don't have numbers, how do we tell? Using butt-dyno or our right leg?

2. Another member came and question if I even own a BMW. The joke here is if I don't own one, what's the point of coming here? Nothing better to do but instead getting useless remarks like these?

If people thinks that using a proper number/measurement is NOT a good way to compare so please advice what is the best. If someone says I can do 550KM in a full tank, that is also a number :) Is it just Malaysians or people here in the forums that likes to argue without knowing what they are talking about?

In a test you need 3 things;
Fixed Variable
Manipulated Variable
and Controlled Variable

if 10+l/100km per mentioned is not good for you, then I don't know what is enough. It is also number?

If highway drives are mostly the type of mixed drive you take for the pre 95 extra fuels, then the same type of mixed drive should be taken to be used as a fixed variable. Because we don’t expect people to actually do a thorough fixed test in a fixed course. And in the case of the old Primax 95 user, I believe to this kind of staged test can’t be achievable, because Primax 95 has been phased out, so the best controlled variable to be taken here is, from the previous run we had in Primax 95, thus the best way to make a comparison, IS to run in a similar type of drive, and compare the result.
If you're not sure on what type of fuel to be used for your e60, there's a conclusive evidence for you to refer upon;

1)Re-read the whole of this fun and humble opinion filled thread or use the search button. (It has been mentioned over and over again)
or
2)Read what's written at the back of your car's fuel cap (Hope this help; they're given by Germans, BMW engineers to be specific and not Butt-dynoed by Malaysians or people here in the forum)

So I shall now humbly specify the guidelines for further discussion on this thread, to avoid any further miscommunication or any miscalculation of measurements or even non-conclusive measurements. (It’s okay if you don’t want to follow, but it won’t be scientifically proven though);

Fixed Variable: The same car + The same type of driving pattern
Manipulated Variable: Fuel used before Petronas Ron 95Extra and Petronas Ron 95Extra
Controlled Variable:Result obtained from Pre Petronas Ron 95 Extra (of the same car and of the same driving pattern)

Note;(driving pattern also include how hard you push your throttle.. it must be constant with the previous test)

P/s: If you car doesn’t come with an OBC;

1)Fuel your car to the brim
2)Drive around at pre designated course
3)Fill it again up to brim (Take note of amount used)
4)Divide it with distance travel.
5) Repeat steps 1-4 with another type of fuel.
6) Compare result.

Yours Truly,

Mr. E34 that doesn’t come with a modern OBC and had been driving it for years and only came to this forum after acquiring it.

Thanks brother and obviously you have a good point there but what I'm literally trying to say is we should compare in different scenarios, that's all :) It doesn't have to be a very precise calculation of course but I am a firm believer that whenever we compare something, there must be a baseline and measurement. If it's not measurable, it's not manageable (comparable). Like I said, no hard feelings and sorry if you think I offended you by saying Perdana is a crap. It's just unfortunate that most Perdana owners agree their cars are just a fuel sucking monster (with exception of a few of course). Have a nice day.

No offense whatsoever taken as this is a friendly discussion forum. Btw, I own and drive BMW since 1984, starting with a 3 series, (3 units) 5 series (3 units) 8 series (1unit), (personal cars) 7series (2units)(company's car) , currently driving an E39 530 personally, so I think I qualify to comment a bit about BMW and it's FC, whether it's urban, mixed, highway or light or heavy footed. I totally agreed with Iylia H on the basic calculations above mentioned.

Bro ay39, I'm not saying you're not qualified but on the other hand, new owners like me would certainly appreciate whatever inputs from seasoned owners like you :) However I'm just asking a simple query and putting my thoughts on what I believe would be a better way of calculating, that's all.

Top Bottom