Mystery Device

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Julian

Club Guest
Hi Team, I am newbie within BMW club malaysia.I recently purchased a Japanese Spec e46 Msport. The car drives like a dream and im yet again satisfied after the sale of my older e36.However, i noticed that the car comes prefit with a device (under the glove box) which looks like a DVD player cum GPS positioning device.To further co-relate, sensor like gadgets just to the bottom left of the main wind screen is installed. I figured it could be a GPS positioning gadget and the other two im clueless.Walked into several tuner outlets and non gave me an answer which i deemed satisfactory, just the usual cock and bull explanation to subtly tell me they dont know jack shit about it.I was wondering if either one you seasoned guys / ladies :) could point me on the right direction on this subject or by an chance you might know a super smart nerdy electrician that could help me figure out my dilemma.I thank you in-advance.Cheers & Regards, Julian

Interesting, it does sound like a GPS antenna, my GPS receiver is behind the instrument cluster. I also install my CPU under the glovebox. Yeah picture please..

From your description, it reminds me of my friend's E60 530i Jap Spec. It has a black box like attached to the windscreen just next to the rear view mirror. I believe it has to do with a "SmartTag" system at the tolls in Japan. If i'm not mistaken i did notice it has a slot like slit where you could insert a card.

Please excuse me for the crappy quality of of the picture....

Im sure this device is functional but somehow it has been deactivated. Would appreciate it if i could be pointed to someone to get this device sorted

Can see "Pioneer" and the CD slot from the picture, do u check the connection when u say it was deactivated?

i am not sure about the connection as it runs into the dash console. Cabling on the back of the device though is perfectly intact.

Drove out to several tuner joints and they weren't able to tell me anything.

Any idea anyone,

drove into another accessory joint today and i was told the device cannot be utilized in malaysia.

yet still, i can relate to the fact that the GPS positioning unit may not be used in our country but how about the cd playing capability of the device.

I was shrugged off with more C & B and i walked out.

Need help team.

Oh, i thought it was something a wife installed to track the husband.

LoL, Good one ay39 !!.

But seriously man i can't seem to get this figured out.

Would you know someone that may be able to clear my questions and concerns in regards to this device ?

Cheers !!

When in doubt, time to call in unker jarance.......

Julian;637740 said:
LoL, Good one ay39 !!.

But seriously man i can't seem to get this figured out.

Would you know someone that may be able to clear my questions and concerns in regards to this device ?

Cheers !!

I guess u should post-mortem it then u know lol.....

Pioneer Releases New Models of HDD-based
"CYBER NAVI" Car Navigation Systems In Japan

AVIC-V7MD

AVIC-H9
HDD-based Navigation Server with Built-in DVD/CD Unit* AVIC-H9 SRP ¥190,000 Available in Late May
Audio/Video/Navigation Server with Built-in wide 6.5-inchTV/ DVD/MD/CD·HDD·DSP AVIC-ZH9 MD SRP ¥315,000 Available in Late May
A set of HDD-based Navigation Server, wide 7.0-inch TV and DVD/CD unit AVIC- XH9 SRP ¥298,000 Available in Late May
* Requires separate monitor or TV. Suggested companion TV is available (AVIC-V7MD 7.0-inch wide TV with MD and DSPAV power unit, SRP ¥155,000; AVIC-V7 7.0-inch wide TV with DSPAV power unit, SRP ¥130,000; TV-W8 8.0-inch wide TV, SRP ¥125,000.)
Pioneer's car navigation systems have been highly acclaimed particularly since 2001, when Pioneer built in a hard disk drive to give the systems "larger-than-DVD's storage capacity," "high-speed signal processing" and "rewritable capabilities," and also incorporated the industry's first-ever music server feature.
As well as offering improved features and performance, Pioneer's new HDD-based "CYBER NAVI" models have improved the so-called "Agent" function to automatically learn the driver's preferences and operating patterns.
"Agent" function offers more driver-customized car navigation

"Drive Planner" (an industry first*1)
When the driver specifies conditions for when, with whom, and where to, Drive Planner considers the season, business hours and other factors to propose a driving plan that includes the best places to visit *2. Drive Planner also monitors progress during the drive, so that if the planned drive falls behind schedule, it can suggest a change of plan or a faster route. This feature enables drivers to enjoy an efficient plan even in areas with an abundance of sightseeing spots.
"Byway Advisor"
Based on the byway data*3 stored on the hard disk or roads off the main routes that the driver had used in the past, the "CYBER NAVI" suggests a new route suitable to the current situation.
"Intelligent Re-route" (an industry first*1)
The new "Intelligent Re-route" function finds the re-route or new route to the destination based on judgments as to whether the driver has deviated from the planned route.
"Hit Chart Play" (an industry first*1)
The Hit Chart Play feature links music stored on the hard disk with such information as ranking in the hit charts and whether it is a tie-up song of drama or commercial. It is possible to view hit chart details and play back a countdown of the latest hits or the past songs.
*1 Pioneer Corporation's survey as of May 7, 2003
*2 "CYBER NAVI" contains data from the Japan Tourist Association and the Mapple Guide published by Shobunsha.
*3 Data for the Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya areas from the Mapple Jutai Nukemichi (Mapple Congestion Byways), published by Obunsha, has been stored.
Large-memory capacity 20GB hard disk

The new "CYBER NAVI" models benefit from a big boost of space to 20GB for their built-in hard disks. The quantity of map and other information required for navigation has been increased, ensuring a richer, more efficient driving experience. Also, up to about 150 CD (calculated at 60 minutes per CD) or about 1,500 songs can be stored, thanks to the music server feature.
"IQ High Accuracy" chip, for greater driving comfort

A chip dedicated to new-generation accuracy is capable of faster-than-ever processing, and an overwhelmingly accurate positioning. Together with the improved "tilt sensor" that detects the mounted position of the unit in the dash, and the "tire external diameter change sensing function," the new "CYBER NAVI" improves accuracy in determining car location, the basic function of car navigation.
"2x Recording," for fast recording of music

CDs can be recorded to hard disk quickly, at 2x normal speed. Since music libraries can be created more easily now in the car, the enjoyment of the music server is enhanced.
Support for 5.1-channel sound system

5.1-channel sound of DVD-video's movies and music can be fully enjoyed in the car with the addition of a separately sold unit.

Top Bottom