Cleaning your E46 Air Mass Sensor (KL/PJ) area.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Hi Etherna22,

I just bought my E46 325i and i think the accelaration (low torqe) quite slow. Can U clean the AFM or MAF (don't know which one is corrent?). I'm at Jalan Ampang very near to KLCC.

EmKay46 (Khalil)

Eterna22,

So sorry ... call you between 1 to 2pm (normally lunch hour) but you are in the meeting .. very sorry.

EmKay46 (Khalil)

Done Emkay46's car...fully satisfied !!

no problem bro !! just drop me an SMS!!

eterna22;436151 said:
Done Emkay46's car...fully satisfied !!

no problem bro !! just drop me an SMS!!

Bro,

Do you come to Kota Damansara? How long does it take per car?

paul_325i;441397 said:
This is the stuff everyones talking about.

Yup this is the stuff.. problem is when buy a can is more than Rm50..

So our friend is willing to come to your place and do the servicing for you for less.

Worthwhile if you are not into DIY... :listen:

Kamarul Ariffin Buang;430512 said:
Bro eterna22, I got a couple of Qs pertaining to my rides...

1. 1996 E36 318, an old horse. Did open up the AFM and cleaned the "valve" & service the ECU. Response did improve a bit but I felt that some ponies have permanently dissappeared compared to 10-years ago. Sign of age?

2. 2005 E46 318 Lifestyle. I just changed to K&N air-intake and honestly I'm not sure whether it did increase the responsiveness. Never cleaned the AFM since it was bought! Ada bisness ka over here...

there is a difference in the shape between MAF and AFM. However, both measure air flow.

See picture below:-

MAFandAFM2.jpg

MAFandafm1.jpg

AFM measure air flow by the flap or vane deflection. This in turn will slide along a thin film resistor.

MAF measure air flow by 2 heating wires. By measure the change in temperature, the flow is determine.

Pro of AFM -
Simple in design and robust.
Easy to maintain

Pro of MAF -
No moving part hence less maintenance.
Easy to clean

Con of AFM -
Thin film Resistor can wear off due to long usage.
Vane tends to jam up due to dirt build up

Con of MAF -
Hot wires tends to be coated by dirt or oil which lead to misreading of air flow.

1. my e46 2002 jerking when rpm 2000
2. send to workshop.
3. mechanic said MAF got problem and they need rm1500 to replace new one.
4. and than i remember this forum and i told him i want to clean it.
5. Mechanic said we cannot clean MAF and will be damage permanently.
6. now i really pening and anybody here can guide me to the right way

hisel;443835 said:
2. send to workshop.

Try the RM50 solution first lah.. If it dont work then change the MAF..:listen:

hisel;443835 said:
2. send to workshop.
since he ask u change RM1500 new MAF, why borther if you spoil it after cleaning? if RM 50 can save your 1500, go try it no harm.

hi Hisel,

How come your mechanic charge you so expensive for AFM? it only cost RM950 and RM1000 plus installation. maybe u can try checking other mechanics hehehe. what model 46 u have by the way ?

As to your question, it depends on what is wrong with your MAF, if it is damaged in the first place by say, heat, or melted wires or socket board failure, of course when we clean we cannot fix it.

It is not true that cleaning the MAF will damage the MAF permanently, it depends on the cleaning method. This is a strictly no contact method.

What im trying to say is , your MAF just need cleaning. Why i say that, is due to the fact, in the event of any hardware failure, your car will run like crap and maybe wont even start or you will have really screwed idling, like high cams hehehe...

in your case your car just jerks in certain rpm, esp the low end, chances are, your MAF is just dirty, and being a 2002 model. already 7 years lo.

i remember one of the forumer posted 2 item for sale few weeks back (brand new), one of the item is MAF, he's selling it for around 500 (that is cheap), but i cant find the tread, anyone remember the link can post it, maybe enkil can PM him

just a quick update, done hisels car, but still unsure if he still have the problem. jerking at idle i suspect is the engine mounting. well, nice try though.

eterna, we are having a meetup for 3 series this sat.. why dont you come to see us. It at MMZ,Shah Alam starting from 3pm.

Top Bottom