Engine oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

DMeNS

Club Guest
Dear all forumers and sifu-sifu here,I'm a newbie and just "accidentally" found this forum by surfing throught the net to kill my boredom. Im not sure if i posted this thread at the correct place and no entry was found regarding this matter (maybe i overlook). I own an e60 523I, I am wondering anyone of you who owns this particular model have the same problem with me. The engine oil level will be low after a few months of driving and owes need to add in new engine oil. Is this normal or maybe leaking? And also, can the microfilter be changed by DIY? Cauz Im lazy to make appointment with auto bavaria to send it in for microfilter replacement only. Thanks ppl for your input! Cheers!

I have heard E90 325i engine oil vanish a liter after several months and keeps repeating despite topping up. Exhaust no oil stain, coolant no oil stain, engine housing no oil stain.. dunno where the oil goes.. SC had no choice but to swap the engine with a new unit, under warranty..

Yea, I think mine do have the problem as well, I toped up a litre sometimes around christmas time and the last time round i toped up 2 weeks back. Theres exactly no sign of leaking but the oil just vanished. I've consulted the personnel from auto bavaria but they said quite normal?? I doubt it's normal so I would like some input from this forum to make sure who is telling the truth. Anyway I've toped up 4-5 times since I got this car starting from milege 6km until 23000km currently.

Bro I hear so many people telling me same thing. Apparently, its prevalent to the new magnesium engines you won't get problem if its older modeled engine.

Maybe the 5w30 engine oil too thin and vaporised lio la.. not entirely impossible.. :p

shdnt be right? even a japanese car no need to top up the engine oil why would bimmer? shd be something wrong right? my family member got nissan and honda. never happen to them?? even proton.

from milege 6km until 23000km currently topped up 5-6 times wor. alot man. why u top up? becoz the warning sign pop up?

JDM engine doesn't run as hot as our engine, that's why European engine is more efficient combustion and environmental friendly.. :D

astroboy;304914 said:
JDM engine doesn't run as hot as our engine, that's why European engine is more efficient combustion and environmental friendly.. :D

:stupid:

keeekeee: try some oil with higher flash point, which have more resistence to vaporize.
If I am not mistaken, Japan's 13B engine will use up about half little every 5000km. This is how the engine run.
The best thing to ensure engine has no problem (compression leak can cause engine oil high consumption) is to get a compression test.

Best regards.

But compression leak will sure wet your tail pipe one.. can't escape.. it would probably stain your coolant.. :p

Reply keeekeee- Yea, i topped up cauz of the warning sign- owes red and said top up 1 litre of engine oil, zzzzz......then have to drive all the way to auto bavaria and pay RM60+ for a litre of engine oil.

Looks like its normal then since most of the bro here either have the problem or aware of this. The jap car only need oil change but this bimmers no need oil change but have to top up. Yea, one more question, can i top up E60 engine oil outside other than auto bavaria? Cheaper maybe? Anyone tried with diff type of engine oils? Sorry for asking this, i just know how to drive but nothing technical...=p

yes, you can top up engine oil yourself.

But it is recommend not to mix different type of engine oil, or different viscosity of enigne oil, unless you really have too.

Sorry for misunderstanding..what i mean is there others engine oil that can be used for E60?? Other than the one sold at auto bavaria. Cheers!

Yes, any oil that meet the recommended (5w-30) can use it your car.
I prefer a 5w-40 or 10w-40. Is your call.

It will even better if it meet MB229.1 , LL-01, ACEA A3/B3, and API SJ requirement.
The higher the better.

keeekeee;305409 said:
so we can go out and buy any brand and top up ourself when neccesary?

Don't put la Cap Helang cooking oil... pick the cholesterol-free wan.. kekekekeeeee

DMeNS;305032 said:
Looks like its normal then since most of the bro here either have the problem or aware of this. The jap car only need oil change but this bimmers no need oil change but have to top up.

It is NOT normal!!!

I would strongly suggest you to get Auto Bavaria to rectify this problem ASAP. This frequent topping up of engine oil is absolutely abnormal. Auto Bavaria is fully aware of this issue with some of the E90 325i and E60 523i that comes with the new magnesium engine block. If you don't solve this matter now, you would definitely face greater problems later when your car ages. Imagine, new car like this need to top up oil so frequent, what would it be when it is older later ???

Moreover, why should you be paying for the oil top up ??? Auto Bavaria should be responsible for it since this frequent top up oil is abnormal. A normal scenario to top up 1 liter of oil is at 9,000 to 12,000 km mileage of travel. If I am not mistaken, check your record and it will shows that at every 2,500 to 4,000 km mileage of travel, the indicator will light up asking you to top up 1 liter of oil. Am I right ? If yes, you better get this rectified as soon as possible as this is totally abnormal. Should demand for a logical answer from Auto Bavaria as to the reason of excessive/high engine oil burn.

hmm....i questioned Auto Bavaria everytime i toped up and they said tat's normal?? They said some of their customers with this new engine block faces the same problem. Does anyone with this problem really push them hard for answers? I think I have to top up between every 4000km to 6000km. Everytime i ask them, same answer given so i thought it should be normal???

Top Bottom