engine oil for E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
OK...would be interesting to find out from BMW Voice what is the official service interval mileage for oil change. If its now 10k, does it mean our car's obc should be re-configured to calculate on that new setting?

i am currently using ravenol fully synthetic from germany, 0-40W. very good response (this is purely subjective :) la )
done my mid bsri oil change at 10k. maybe i should use shell helix ultra for my mid interval change if its cheaper :)
here's the link if anyone's interested in this oil
http://www.ravenol.de/products?part=116

Interesting. Where can one find it, and how much for the 4 lit & 1 lit packs?

1 litre is about 50bucks. I did the oil change in this unpretentious looking bmw service shop in sri petaling near the shell staion. will look for the receipt and post the address here. its definitely not snake oil :)
the shop was recommended to me by a longtime, fussy bmw owner.

Whoever started the poll doesn't know that the Petronas oil used in BMWs isn't Primax, which is a PETROL. :stupid: It's Syntium 3000 LL.

bimmerdude;439568 said:
1 litre is about 50bucks. I did the oil change in this unpretentious looking bmw service shop in sri petaling near the shell staion. will look for the receipt and post the address here. its definitely not snake oil :)
the shop was recommended to me by a longtime, fussy bmw owner.

Looks good, and about the same price as Shell Helix Ultra, which we've established recently is actually not a fully-synth. Ravenol SSL 0W-40, being German, probably is a real PAO.

Schwepps;439449 said:
Interesting. Where can one find it, and how much for the 4 lit & 1 lit packs?

Wow! I know u r multi-talented but I didn't know u can read Deutsche too! :eek: Amazing!

I only see BMW-LL01 in the above Revenol link.. :p

So this Revenol since its SAE40, it should give our engine a longer life span than the BMW OEM LL of 5w-30 (est. engine life of 160k km).

And since its a thicker oil than SAE30, I wonder how much heavier the engine will felt, we all 4-potter is really suffer from HP and engine responsiveness deficiency... :(

Allo, klicken sie einfach auf den button englisch...just click on on the english button at the top. :)

Only thing wrong is that it's only API SL and MB 229.1, so a bit behind. But that doesn't matter if one does 10-12k changes. I didn't look for an MSDS to further verify the components though.

Waaa! 2 people actually put Primax in their engines! :eek: Wonder what they put in their petrol tanks - Syntium? :p

Yep! saw the auf elf ouch aiks yaks hoe garr den "ENG" button on the top banner.. thanks for sharing your talent, I felt smarter already! :25:

Nope.. I am not the one using Primax as engine oil.. I use Shell Regular.. :D

116.jpg

Here's the translated version:

RAVENOL Super Synthetic Leichtlaufoel SSL 0W-40
Art.- 1111108

Product description:
RAVENOL vollsynth. SSL 0W-40 is a unique, fully synthetic lubricant based on Poly-α-Olefin. It provides outstanding thermal and oxidation stability, outstanding low temperature capabilities, long-life properties and extended drain intervals.

Specifications and approvals:
RAVENOL vollsynth. SSL 0W-40 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:

ACEA 2002 B4-02 B3-98 Teil 2 A3-02
ACEA 2004 A3/B4-04
API (*gelistet) SL/CF
BMW Longlife-01
MB 229.1
OPEL GM-LL-A-025
SAE 0W-40
Sonstige Porsche Hochleictungsöl
VW/AUDI 502 00 / 505 00 (VSI)

Application:
RAVENOL vollsynth. SSL 0W-40 is formulated for petrol and diesel engines. The exclusive “extended drain” formulation delivers superior engine protection. It can be used at constant high speed and “start-stop” duty on or off the road under the most arduous conditions. With the 0W-40 you get the best in winter and summer protection.

Features and benefits:
RAVENOL vollsynth. SSL 0W-40 provides:
• Excellent overall lubrication at extreme cold conditions
• quick cold weather starting
• very efficient anti-deposit and anti-black sludge power which maintains a clean engine
• prevention of carbon and lacquer deposits on vital moving parts caused by very high engine temperature
• neutralization of the acids
• exceptional oil film stability through anti-wear protection in all loads
• outstanding thermal stability and oil oxidation resistance to maintain a high standard of piston cleanliness
• catalyst and turbo compatible

Parameter Unit of measure Data Test method
Color 3,5
Density (at 15°C) g/ml 0.86 DIN 51757
Viscosity (at -35°C) mPa.s 6200 DIN 51377
Viscosity (at 40°C) mm2/s 78 DIN 51562
Viscosity (at 100°C) mm2/s 13.4 DIN 51562
VI 175 DIN ISO 2909
Flash point (COC) °C 220 DIN ISO 2592
Pour °C 0 DIN ISO 3016
TBN mg KOH/g 9.6 DIN ISO 3771
Sulphated ash % 1.1 DIN 51 575

These technical data are average and can insignificantly change from batch to batch within the tolerances of the standards!

But under the "Online Shop" linkage, this product is not listed... farnee.. :rolleyes:

Parameter

Unit of measure

Data

Test method

Color

Density (at
15°C)

g/ml

DIN 51757

Viscosity (at
-35°C)

mPa.s
>

DIN 51377

Viscosity (at
40°C)

mm2/s

DIN 51562

Viscosity (at
100°C)

mm2/s

DIN 51562

VI

DIN ISO 2909

Flash point
(COC)

°C

DIN ISO 2592

Pour

°C

DIN ISO 3016

TBN

mg KOH/g

DIN ISO 3771

Sulphated ash

%

DIN 51 575

If bimmerdude's shop is supplying real stuff, then the specs look good huh? Price also good.

Waaa, can still find Shell Regular? I use V-Power 5W-30 engine oil. For petrol, I use Syntium Premium. :D

Schwepps;439610 said:
Allo, klicken sie einfach auf den button englisch...just click on on the english button at the top. :)

Only thing wrong is that it's only API SL and MB 229.1, so a bit behind. But that doesn't matter if one does 10-12k changes. I didn't look for an MSDS to further verify the components though.

Waaa! 2 people actually put Primax in their engines! :eek: Wonder what they put in their petrol tanks - Syntium? :p

aiyooo...LL01 is good enough in my books bro. we're not driving an M3 la, just your average garden variety four potter... besides, me thinks even Ravenol is a bit much in pampering our UDM :)

Schwepps;439590 said:
Whoever started the poll doesn't know that the Petronas oil used in BMWs isn't Primax, which is a PETROL. :stupid: It's Syntium 3000 LL.

oooh my bad.... at least i got petronas right :)

Fully agree bimmerdude. More than adequate if you change mid-BSRI. So what's the name of the shop?

Jes pulling your leg on the Petronas Primax...life is grey without some laughs. ;)

Schwepps;439670 said:
.....life is grey without some laughs. ;)

No sir, life is grey because u have chosen a grey car! :D :D :D

kekekee.. I know u are a great sport.. :wink:

ok guys here ya go...

FD Jaya motor and services (u wouldnt think its got any bmw aspirations)
contact mr Oi

shop is in pjs (petaling utama)
Coming from KL direction, after Wisma Peters, turn in left at Shell Petrol station. The row of shops on the right (1 row behind)

Thanks for the address bimmerdude. :top:

Well, Primax comes from the newest refinery in the country. Which is more than can be said for some well known brands from really old refineries. :wink:

Hallo...you started the poll and you don't know what it is meh? How can? :eek:

I think most people see that as dealer-fill oil, which is either Helix Ultra AB or Syntium 3000 LL. The BMW ori oil from the dealer parts dept is also either of those two. So far I know of only Spaceman who bought BMW ori oil from Deutschland, which is actually Castrol Edge. So you have overlapped and confused everyone la, bro! :wink:

Me? I voted for Petronas Primax... :D

Top Bottom