engine oil for E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I stop by a Castrol distributor to day at Pandah Indah & the guy recommend Castrol Edge 0W-40. He says all BMWs use this oil. What say you guys ?

Spaceman;435145 said:
after driven for couple of months, i think it feels so much smoother just like the 0W30...

but my heart feels really safe with BMW SAE LL-04 in my N52 powerplant.

Spaceman, i agree with you.
i would rather pay a bit more and have a peace of mind than worry and moreover Petronas Syntium 3000 (BMW SAE LL-04) is coming from BMW SC. As i understand that there are imitation engine oil out there.

etquah;435179 said:
I stop by a Castrol distributor to day at Pandah Indah & the guy recommend Castrol Edge 0W-40. He says all BMWs use this oil. What say you guys ?

The 0w-40 Edge will cost u a bomb. For that kind of price, I can go 100% Motul ester, or use SC oil which is 5w-30. Why settle with weight 40 oil?

astroboy;435205 said:
Why settle with weight 40 oil?

Because:
HTHS value is higher.
Molecular chains is longer.
Lower NOACK volatility

:D
Why settle with weight 30 ?

Turbology has a point if engine longevity is your aim. :) Part of the comments on viscosity from Synlube:

Thinner motor oils such as 5W-20 or even 0W-20 are becoming more popular these days and are even specified by some OEM's (FORD & HONDA) on new 2001 cars. Although these oils are promoted as "energy conserving" they generally trade a gain of less than 0.1 MPG in Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) for shorter useful engine life.

FORD which has previously designed cars to have 10 year or 150,000 miles life has reduced the mileage life expectation to "beyond 100,000 miles" on vehicles that are operated on SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil. HONDA only claims "useful life" as 7-years or 70,000 miles in EPA certifications for their CIVIC which uses SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil, while the previous model that utilized SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil was certified for 10 year or 100,000 mile durability.

By contrast Mercedes-Benz recommends use of ONLY Synthetic Motor Oil that is at least SAE 5W-40! This is a recent increase in recommended viscosity from SAE 5W-30. Apparently customer research indicated that engine longevity is more important to typical MB customers than fuel economy.

Guys..

Is the Syntium 3000 on the shelf at any Petronas P/S any similar to the ones at the S/C ? The one on the shelf says 5W-40 though.. but it looks like Syntium 5000 (0W-30) is the better one.

Hmmnn... base on what Schwepps provided, our engine can only last 100k miles because we are using 5w-30 oil provided and recommended by SC. That means 160k km.. :eek: Averaging 30k km per year, we should be selling our ride immediately after it crosses 5th year.

For turbology's car, he's using 5w-40 so his engine can last 150 miles, that's 240k km. So he is in no hurry to sell his car until approaching 8th year.. :eek:

Of course that 8 years on the road, you will be passed by similar cars that runs on 5w-30 which is slightly more powerful and more economical.. :D

If u run 10w-50, that's 320k km.. or 10w-60, that's 400k km.. that's why I ask why u stop at 240k km.. :p

For me, I had to stop at 5w-30 unless I wish to sell my car after 100k km.. :eek: Unless I make enough for upgrade every 3 years.. :rolleyes:....... unlikely.. :(

Hahahaha! :)

Lots of old MBs running around and they sound GOOD. Heard what other old cars sound like, including old BMWs? Let's face it, BMWs are not built for longevity. 5 years should be about right time to change la...

mnas;436757 said:
Guys..

Is the Syntium 3000 on the shelf at any Petronas P/S any similar to the ones at the S/C ? The one on the shelf says 5W-40 though.. but it looks like Syntium 5000 (0W-30) is the better one.

Don't think so. I think the Syntium 3000 LL we get is dealer-fill only. Check for BMW LL-01 on the label.

So what is the estimated repair bill by the 5th years if we keep running 5w-30? A set of piston ring? Valve seals? Fly wheel bearing? Crank bearing? piston rod seats?

Haiya... by the time we feel looseness in the engine, then only use thicker oil la. :D

The Syntium 3000 LL comes in drums, just like Castrol LL or Helix LL. U can't find retail packs that is LL certified for these few brands.

:) Of course! If you look after a car well and keep it as a classic, it can last you forever. A friend has a 15 year-old E36 M3 that can still easily tapau my E90.

I saw a beautiful 6-series circa early nineties the other day. Gorgeous...until he started it. The engine sounded like bits would fall out if he revved it past 2k rpm. :D

BTW, I've seen retail packs of Helix Ultra AB in certain Shells.

Schwepps;436864 said:
:) Of course! If you look after a car well and keep it as a classic, it can last you forever. A friend has a 15 year-old E36 M3 that can still easily tapau my E90.

I saw a beautiful 6-series circa early nineties the other day. Gorgeous...until he started it. The engine sounded like bits would fall out if he revved it past 2k rpm. :D

BTW, I've seen retail packs of Helix Ultra AB in certain Shells.

That Helix Ultra got BMW-LL certified meh? So far, I have only seen Torco and Q8 carry the BMW-LL on retail pack.. both also have tried.. :p

astroboy;436883 said:
That Helix Ultra got BMW-LL certified meh? So far, I have only seen Torco and Q8 carry the BMW-LL on retail pack.. both also have tried.. :p

It was Ultra AB that I saw. Must admit I didn't check the label. :rolleyes:

Schwepps;436900 said:
It was Ultra AB that I saw. Must admit I didn't check the label. :rolleyes:

Local packing confirm no LL certification wan.. unless its Euro pack that's imported directly from the hypermarkets.

Dunno why so difficult to specify LL certification.. ??

Conspiracy theory says, maybe the local lub manufacturer didn't pay BMW Malaysia the royalty to mention BMW on their label, that's why they can't put the certification.

hehe.. watch too much movie.. :p

astroboy;436883 said:

How's the Q8 (which I presume is 5W-30 which has BMW-LL04 cert) as compared to others that you have, especially the Castrol or Petronas LL equivalent?

The Q8 I have tried is the cheapo Q8 Formula 5w-40 which comes with "BMW-Special Oil" on the label (less than RM180).... very heavy la.. no pickup, FC bad, engine quiet, but protection supposed to be better than thinner oil loo.

After that I use Torco SR-1 5w-30 BMW-LL04 certified, very light, very responsive engine, a little expensive (RM200+) and noisy engine. Performance :top: Protection.. dunno la.. :p

Now on Syntium SC oil... very heavy la.. car cannot move but engine quiet, felt like 5w-40 la... :(

astroboy;436883 said:

The Shell station at Kepong - Bandar Menjelara (Behind the mosque) has Helix Ultra 5w-40 with BMW-LL certified. I checked it after i refilled my tank.

Would it be better to use this oil rather than Petronas Syntium 3000 5w-30 LL? Ingress doesn't allow us to use other oil if we bring our cars to service. Have to use thiers.

BMWs is right. I was near the Taman Tun Shell so I sauntered in to check. They have Helix Ultra 5W-40 on the shelves. Approvals: API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, VW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc. So it's good for BMWs, Mercs and fiercer cars.

4l bottle RM209, 1l bottle RM58. Cost of oil change plus 20-point check...a whole RM8. :) So if you bring your own BMW oil filter, a simple mid-way oil change at TTDI Shell should cost 1/2 the cost at the dealers. ;)

This is a good benchmark prce for a quality-assured fully-synth. Anything costing less at retail is suspect because PAO base oil is expensive and is made in only a limited no of plants in the world. Not all the oil companies make PAO. Even Petronas with it's recent European refining and blending acquisitions is not a PAO manufacturer.

Must look in some other Shells. I know I've seen Ultra AB 5w-30 in retail somewhere... :confused:

What worries me is, if whatever Schwepps presented is true, we should change our BMW every 160k km or risk overhauling should we keep using 5w-30..:42::102:

Allo, 5W-30 is fine in the first few years la, especially if you enjoy spirited driving. Isn't that what you bought the Bimmer for? If not, might as well get an Accord or Camry.

Use 5W-40 when the car is a bit older. By then there'll be other major repairs to think of, a new model to drool over, etc... :D

Turbology's point is true that SAE 40 is more protective...if that's important to you. ;)

Top Bottom