E39 vs E60

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

K-DudeX

Club Guest
Good Day guys.. I am new here. I know this question may sound really silly but let me explain first. I was given a E60 525i M - Sport at my workplace to use for 3 months. I really fell in love with the car. It was simply awesome. now I want to get a beemer. I really love to get the same car but cannot really effort so I might have to go for a second hand older/ low spec model.Probably the 520i. I feel that is a waste. Now Shall I go for the E60 or shall I go for the E39 M-Sport? If E39, I will be able to spare some money for periodic upgrades.any significant difference in performance between the 2? Please help me with some inputs to justify any decision I make. Thank you

E60 520i is great too but I just hate that puny 16" rim.
Of course for that kind of money you could get yourself an E39 530i and have lots of money to spare, better power etcetc but it's an older car.

maybe E39 525 (year 2002-2003)... it has the new M54 engine... power should be sufficient :top:

I would go with the E39 too, but get at least the 2.5L models or higher. Any lower and you will crave for more c.c.s. Then you will have some spare cash for repairs and mods....

K-DudeX;377824 said:
Wow... 5/5 say E39..

Since you have limited budget, this is the best car that you should go for... I read somewhere in this forum that E39 is voted "The Best Used Car of the Year"!!! :D
Anyway, if you are getting the E39 525 with M54 engine... and you feel that the power if not sufficient, you can always remap your ECU... do a HIOP and increase your car's power!!! :top: a few workshops do that!

K-DudeX;377824 said:
Wow... 5/5 say E39..

bro,
Both models are from different generation. Maybe, those who owned the E39 will be "biased" in their views? All depends on your budget as it will be no less than RM 100k difference in price between your choices. Not to mention the service & maintenance cost are relatively higher for the E60. I suggest you test-out a few E39s and then decide. If you can afford it, then go for the E60 as you already had "experience" with it.

I'm driving E60 here... never really driven a E39... still vote for it :top:
Lol... :vroam:

Compare the e39 and e60 the diffrent about 20-30% over all aspect .The new Bmw always contine upgrade the power, comfort, stability safety technology and others.

brader, take my advice la. If you're an ARSE person, take the E60. If you're a BOOBs man, then go for the E39:D

me?? I like all creations of God:D

E39 530 better choice....anyway go for the last batch...not sure abt 530 but 525i (2003)

thule;377852 said:
I'm driving E60 here... never really driven a E39... still vote for it :top:
Lol...

bro,
I'm really surprised this coming from an E60 owner. E60 wins both the exterior and interior in terms of looks. In addition, a new 6-speed gearbox plus better NVH, ride & handling too! :top:

yup d E39 530i or 525i gets my vote... :top: superb driving dynamics :love:

Bro just to share my exp. I used to own both E36 & E39 at same time. I like to drive 3 series for daily/city drive & 5 series on long distance or highways. I would say 5 series more comfort & stable at high speed. Then after I sold E36 plan to get E46 but couldn't get one as I already used to drive E39 daily coz I dun like the steering feel. Then one day get to have short test drive of E60 525 MSport. To my shock the car feel light. I understand E60 is lighter than E39 due aluminium material involved. Also E60 has active steering which depend on the speed. For me E60 body look more latest & prestige but I don't like the dashboard design. Also the seat dun feel comfort as E39. For me any BMW should be good as long it meet yr expectation & requirement & not to forget yr ability to maintain it. Good luck wt yr decision:top:

I think there are many ways to look at this. Go for the car you can afford to maintain and not the car you can afford to buy. I am assuming you need the five series because of its size? I did not get the e60 because personally I did not like the interior. I still love my cream interior on my e39 528i and it still drives wonderfully, especially on the highway. Also, I think there are too many e60s on the road! So I got an the new Audi A4 to complement my e39! To be honest I drive the Audi most of the time now. :p

If you want to land somewhere in between and want a BMW, go for an e90 (usually you can get some good bargains after events like the Monsoon cup etc....) unless again, its the size of the car that matters most. If you want to get the e39, make sure you shop around for a car that has been really cared for, If not it will cost as much as the new e60 to maintain - unless you get a brand new one (the costs go up a lot after year 3 I think!).

Wow you guys are really helpful.. I am going for the 5 series because of the size. I believe at times the size does matter.. Ha ha.. No actually I travel quite a bit. outstation most of the time.. I want a car that's stable and comfortable. Because of other commitments I don't want to spend much money on my car.. I am looking at a budget of around RM2.5K per month for repayment and maintenance. Upgrades and fuel separate budget. I guess I will settle for the E39. probably will upgrade eventually.. I want to really look around before purchasing one.. Any pointers on the common problem for the 525 and the 530 E39 model that I should look for?

if you do a lot of long-distance travel, the 5er is the right choice. However, to choose between an E39 and E60, that will be tough. I personally prefer the E39 although the E60 has more aesthetics and gadgets but driveability still the E39 tops for me.

Common problems on a car as old as the E39 are, but not limited to the following:
ABS, Airbag, steering rack, aircond condenser. Others would be the normal issues of a BMW such as the VANOS, power steering hose, bushings, absorbers... make sure you have the car checked by a competent mech before signing anything. Look in the forum on who are the recommended mechs/workshops.

K-DudeX;378494 said:
Wow you guys are really helpful.. I am going for the 5 series because of the size. I believe at times the size does matter.. Ha ha.. No actually I travel quite a bit. outstation most of the time.. I want a car that's stable and comfortable. Because of other commitments I don't want to spend much money on my car.. I am looking at a budget of around RM2.5K per month for repayment and maintenance. Upgrades and fuel separate budget. I guess I will settle for the E39. probably will upgrade eventually.. I want to really look around before purchasing one.. Any pointers on the common problem for the 525 and the 530 E39 model that I should look for?

Rm2.5k a month is more than enough!
Say you get a 530i, about 105k, loan 70k at 3.5% for 5 years, one month = rm1300!

Top Bottom