e36 328 ownership experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
JuanCarlos said:
Hello guys,

what happen to my car?
When my car reached 160km/h, there's smoke coming out from the engine after a while. And after i slow down to about 140km/h, it gone...

What happened?

I presume you are driving e36 328...

What does your temperature gauge say?

Without more details, hard to say, but note that the e36 is notorious for water pump failure which leads to overheating and possible overhaul...

So, send it into a workshop and have it looked into asap.

Thanks for the advice bro,

Yes, I drive e36 328.

The temperature meter seems normal. That's why I don't think it's overheating.

Any possiblities that I need to do tophead service?

If there's smoke, and the car does not seem to be overheating, another possible culprit is the aircond; leaking freon gas can also look like smoke.

In any case, do not delay. Have a workshop look at it asap.

hey 8080pbmw, from ur posts, I reckon that u r from Pg as well.. Can i know where is the shop selling the Red/Blue Raizens? Any shop in Pg u might recommend to mod my ride? Thanks..
And Lee, how do we differentiate betweem ori and pirated Raizens?

One way is price. If it is suspiciously cheaper than the norm, be careful.

Another way is the packaging. But this is so well done now, the only way to tell is to put one side by side w the original.

Hi Zee77,
I just asked the first shop that crosses my mind. it's Mpower at Air Itam. Not sure if they are the real stuffs or mere copy . will find out more about it.Maybe will check out Newton.
Anyway, if there are people going out of their way to copy something , that thing must be very good.
Just came back from a short holiday at Cameron Highland. I must say that I had a very good drive via Simpang Pulai exit to Cameron Highland. Dream road for our FR car or anyone that loves the curves. can stop thinking about it. :D

Hey! You've just named my favourite piece of road!

Excellent for continuous tire-screeching fun, but quite taxing on the tires.

The scenery is beautiful too, i suppose. Can't tell for sure - was too busy avoiding the cliff edge.

The few cars stopped by the roadside here and there, usually w someone puking their hearts out, only adds to the color of the experience.

This piece of road will really test the chassis and suspension setup of our 328's. Watch out for the weight transfer (esp at the rear) and snap oversteer! Unless you have camber plates and x-brace of course... ;-)

JuanCarlos said:
Thanks for the advice bro,

Yes, I drive e36 328.

The temperature meter seems normal. That's why I don't think it's overheating.

Any possiblities that I need to do tophead service?

Check your engine and oil hoses for possible oil leaks. What could possibly happened is the oil leaked onto the exhaust manifold and hence the smoke. It has happened to me before. And its only smoky when you revved the engine hard because the exhaust temp would then only be hot enough to burn off the oil.

Hope this helps.

Hi Lee,

Amazingly you've described to the point every thing I'm experiencing with my gear-box ( except for the gear warning light ). My milage is at 279K and I've not done a gearbox rebuild. Would those symptoms that you just mentioned be tell tales of a planned gear-box rebuild? What would be your take on a reconditioned gear-box?

Apart from that, my ride is fine and dandy, I'm getting about 12Km per litre outstation and a little below 10 in the city. Had my ride for 4 years now. and thankfully there hasn't been any major repairs yet.

It is always great to have sifus like you to share your experiences with the less experienced.

thanks mate

Cheers

Hi Rubes72,

Do you have an e36 328 as well? 12 km per liter is unbelievable. That works out to be 8.33 liter/100 km. Either re-check your calculation, or sell me your car! I wanna know how you got that kind of consumption! I'm getting 11-12 litre/100 km at the moment.

Seriously, your gearbox, at 279k km, is due for a rebuild. Do you know whether a rebuild has been done before? Typically it lasts 150-170k km per rebuild.

Yes, those symptoms are exactly the signs that a rebuild is due. My take on recond gearbox? Unless you find a source you trust, preferably w some form of warranty, I would not recommend it. It's better to try to rebuild your own gearbox first. If the housing is worn out, and the rebuild becomes too expensive, only then would it make sense to consider a recond gearbox.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your ride. It's a beautiful machine. Take care of it, and it will give you plenty of enjoyment.

I was at Kemaman recently. It had some nice, straight roads. Had a taste of the famous Hai Peng coffee too. Quite a legend.

Hey Lee, Yes I'm getting 8-9 Literes per 100KM. I don't think a rebuild was done, when I got the car it was bout' 90K KM. I do my maintenance on time, don't want to play with fate. Anyway I'm getting 11-12 Literes per 100Km in city driving. uder to be 16Ltrs. Had my o2 sensors changed and added an air compressor unit, i think that improved the milage a bit. I want to do the voltage stabilizer but do not know any reputable acc guys who will do it. If you could point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Yes the good ol famous Hai Peng Coffee... my local hang out. I guess my Gear box is still alive cause I drive mostly outstation ( weekly commuting from KL to kemaman ). But my mechaninc say my gear box is still ok. so don't really know, maybe I'll get a second opinion. Hey next time you plan to pass here give me a shout... can sample some coffee and some roti bakar.. I'll buy.

Cheers

ALBundy said:
Check your engine and oil hoses for possible oil leaks. What could possibly happened is the oil leaked onto the exhaust manifold and hence the smoke. It has happened to me before. And its only smoky when you revved the engine hard because the exhaust temp would then only be hot enough to burn off the oil.

Hope this helps.

thanks bro for the advice. I never thought of it.
:)

Yes, you are right.

If most of your high mileage was the beautiful KL-Kuantan highway, taken at reasonable speed, then everything lasts longer. The e36 328 seems to love that highway!

Now I know why you get such good consumption... :D

Yes, O2 sensor would help improve consumption. 11-12 litre/100 km in the city is very good.

However, if you are experiencing some symptoms on the gearbox, start monitoring it. Try changing the gearbox oil and filter at regular intervals if you are not already doing so. Early prevention is much cheaper than a late cure (which I am facing!)

Abt the voltage stabilizer, you got PM. Cheers.

Lee36328 said:
Yes, you are right.

If most of your high mileage was the beautiful KL-Kuantan highway, taken at reasonable speed, then everything lasts longer. The e36 328 seems to love that highway!

Now I know why you get such good consumption... :D

Yes, O2 sensor would help improve consumption. 11-12 litre/100 km in the city is very good.

However, if you are experiencing some symptoms on the gearbox, start monitoring it. Try changing the gearbox oil and filter at regular intervals if you are not already doing so. Early prevention is much cheaper than a late cure (which I am facing!)

Abt the voltage stabilizer, you got PM. Cheers.

hey guys how come you guys are gettin really great comsumption on your machines... im getting 15-16 litre per 100km lah... :mad: mmm not sure what is wrong... last time my O2 sensor kaput but then the so called mechanic friend told me he changed and charged me already... have not checked on the diagnose kit after that lor... anywhere you guys suggest for a great diagnose? the last time i had to reset my airbags kena RM 50 bugs... mmm normally i thought it was a added service...

really need to do somethin for my consumption lah...

When I first got my car, I was getting slightly more than 400 km per full tank.

Now I get abt 500 km per full tank. Here's how I got it in my case.

1. Keep the engine clean and carbon free as much as possible
2. Get some highway driving on a regular basis (above 3,000 rpm for 30-60 minutes should do it.)
3. Keep all sensors in good working condition, esp O2 sensor.
4. Air filter - clean regularly, replace when needed
5. Exhaust - don't modify it
6. Voltage stabilizer and grounding cable - seems to help
7. Decarbonize, decarbonize, decarbonize.
8. Don't blast aircond while car is not moving - consumption killer
9. Make sure aircond is in good working order - have you changed the aircond filter recently?

helloo have u all registered for AD...its just 2 weeks away

NEED ADVICE :

E36 325 auto Fuel Consumtion. ?? l /100km or RM120 for ???KM urban and highway

Thanks

This surely is an excellent thread for anyone looking a E36 328.

I agree that most ads out there for 328s seem to be for 1996 or 1997 model.

As anyonelse I would prefer the latest model available and I understand that the E36 328s were sold until 1Very likely the 1999 cars were manufactured in 1998.

So the 1998 cars came with M3 skirts and passenger airbag?

When was ASC+T introduced...1997?

When were digital dials introduced....1996?

Was there any difference b/w the rims in the 96 vs97 vs 98 cars?

Thanks.

Anxious,

Good luck with your search. 98 e36 328's are quite rare; excellent choice though. Mine, year 97, comes only with ASC, not ASC-T. Digital aircon dials since 96 I believe. Rims, do you mean any difference in wheel size? No difference. As fitted by factory? The last batch usually comes with some sort of sport kit, meaning bodykits, sportier suspension, bigger rims, in an effort to clear stock. This makes the last batch, 98 328, a very attractive find.

Enjoy your search.

hi,i'm zakaria junior member.i'm owning a 328i almost a year.jus to share do u guys have problem with engine oil intake?mine every oil servicing looses about 1.5liter of oil.no white smoke coming out from the exhaust.any experiences?thks.

Top Bottom