e36 328 ownership experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
RCBL;434563 said:
my priority wil change pretty soon too, Mikeong. I had this talk b4 with my current gf (soon to be wife) that I can't imagine myself driving a family friendly vehicle. I guess when that day comes, I really hope one of my cars parked in my garage will still be a BMW.

Hey congrats bro. You will eventually get use to it and drive slower too:1:

Thanks Mikeong....until tat day comes, wil enjoy myself till my heart's content! Jst me and my UDM

Very informative thread thru real experience. Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Zul_84;433582 said:
just recently do something on engine things..
unfotunately its not 2.8L anymore...
but i'm still using M52 engine block... becoz in theory M52 nikasil coated engine block is lightweight.
may i know how accurate on board meter/computer in our BMW system?

M52 rockzz!!

The most accurate speed reading you can have is by using a GPS. The OBC reading is taken off your rear-diff hence it doesn't take into account the speed difference when you change rims. It is only accurate if you're still using the stock 15" rims with 205/60 profile tires.

Now im more confident to get the e36. Hope it will serve me well for years to come. :)

sachseelan;437346 said:
she just broke my wallet for more than 3k.. are u ready.. hehehe

Wow bro what happened this time? Hope her heart is ok now...and your wallet too. LOL.

loafer;437363 said:
Wow bro what happened this time? Hope her heart is ok now...and your wallet too. LOL.

heart is still pumping good as usual :top:... this time wallet burn kau2 in steering rack dept :eek:!! will post damage later tonight wt details k... lesson learnt!! :rolleyes:

re-bore...
big pistons and longer stroke... hehe
ram intake....
straight pipe exhaust...
and other several things...
already smooke porche at hartamas...

bryantg;434532 said:
bro zul...

what u did to your engine ?
i just got myself a e36 stock,
have some plan to mod it, can share your experiences?
top speed 295!! can smoke evo X liao...

thankz

Zul_84;439224 said:
re-bore...
ram intake....
straight pipe exhaust...

You guys are gila:stupid:Maybe i'm getting older already

It's been 1 year, 2 months and 14 days since I last posted.

Am surprised to see the thread is still going. You guys should get a life. Or a job. Jez kidding! :1:

It speaks volumes about the 328 that after more than a decade it is still going strong with its enthusiasts.

Many thanks to the numerous posters in this thread. Sharing the ownership experience makes it even more enjoyable.

So, catching up w some updates...

tycoon_M3;420688 said:
Lee can you send your hp no to me..for ask my car 328..big problem(underpower)

tycoon_M3, there can be many causes of underpower. It can start from the engine (the 4 strokes), the exhaust, the drivetrain including gearbox, etc etc. What other symptoms do you experience? Assuming you haven't sold off the car yet. :wink:

Tom328;426178 said:
Too all the sifus,
WHAT IS FOAMING? i thought it was for sound proofing? but it's for handling and stiffening the chassis also?

Yes, yes and yes, to answer your question. There is a bunch of threads discussing this. Search "foaming chassis."

sachseelan;426272 said:
hi tom328...

yes i've seen the little connector... i've tried disconnecting it... but without a sporty back box, not much diff ler... anyway thx for the tips..

Lee36328.. spotted ur car many times.. even yday at BSC.. i see a lot of dents on ur bodywork, vandalism ka.. mine also kena a few d in bangsar..sigh

tc..

He he, guess I'm caught. Been planning to get my car into the workshop for some long overdue bodywork. So, better collect my dents now rather than later. Not vandalism or hooliganism, just hooligan driving. :wink:

Zul_84;439224 said:
re-bore...
ram intake....
straight pipe exhaust...

Zul, if you haven't sold off the car yet, don't forget to upgrade the brakes. You need lambo sized calipers to go along w those lambo style performance.

Slide, nice bumping into you.

New furniture

After years of loyal service, my original steering wheel was looking knackered, cracking and peeling from years under our hot weather.

For its replacement, I've had my eye on this particular 8-series steering for a while, but it was harder to get than a current picture of Tiger Woods.

Finally, my luck turned w help from my mechanic, Raymond.

And wala...

Image0406.jpg

Lee, nice! Been a while since your last post. Always looking forward to your positive contributions. Take care.

Lee, good to see you posting in here again. Looking forward to seeing more pics and postings from you. Have fun and take care

Hey all,

Am currently looking at a 328 which has already been converted into a manual. However the gearbox is from a 318. I remember reading somewhere from this forum that the gearbox from the 318 and 328 have different torque ratings. Do they both share similar gear ratios? Will this be an issue later down the road (in terms of parts durability)? The origins of the flywheel are also unclear. I've driven the car and the shifts and all seem pretty smooth.

Btw, do both gearboxes share the same clutch plate? I'm currently driving a 318 manual but the transition to 328 wasn't quite what i expected. I was sort of expecting a "squish you in your seat till you cant move" kind of acceleration but instead it's a bit more wafty, a smooth progressive kind of pace. Is this how it's supposed to be? This is my first drive in a 328 hence I have no basis for comparison.

There's also a faint clicking noise from the engine and was told that this was due to the tappets wearing out. How crucial is it to replace this? Or is it just an annoyance like the worn hydraulic tappets in an M40 ie not critical, change it only if you can't stand the noise anymore.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Vincent Hor;480367 said:
Lee, nice! Been a while since your last post. Always looking forward to your positive contributions. Take care.

elwine30;480498 said:
Nice steering wheel Lee. :)

Russie;481099 said:
Lee, good to see you posting in here again. Looking forward to seeing more pics and postings from you. Have fun and take care

Thanks guys. I haven't been away, just been busy running projects in my new business. Only recently started dabbling with the car again.

Top Bottom