e36 328 ownership experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by musclehedz@May 11 2005, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll drive slowly and more careful. :)

As for the paint job, i'm prepared to fork out rm5k. I demand a show car finish :D

Sure, no problem. We can get together for some quick notes :)
there are two places i know of, which do paint jobs for ferrari, porsche, aston martin... if u demand a showroom finish, that's what u need... will dig out my contact book....

a 328 owner who says he'll drive slowly is like a politician who promises lower taxes... he he he.... but do take care....

Originally posted by Jipster@May 11 2005, 08:15 AM
Mr Lee,

Excellent car dude..... and I must say the driver is pretty good as well.....capable of inducing WTF and OMG type sensations to any who dare go onboard the light blue monster :D
:blush: :blush:
thank you, thank you, for the undeserved compliments....

no lah, car is good but the driver still learning... still learning....

but glad u enjoyed the ride... should try it now... have improved it further...

It's hard to imagine wanting more than a 328. Though I don't own one, I've driven it and the 6-pot is indeed an absolutely "lustful" engine ... :D

But one cheap & easy upgrade especially for early saloons, is to fit ventilated rear disc brakes. Most 328's have solid rear discs and only the late model saloons ('98 & '99) and all cabrios have vented ones. I did this on my little 318 :blush: and only cost about RM400. The piston is larger by 6mm diametre (i think), thus improving the braking ability and obviously the vents improves cooling under hard braking.

Originally posted by Lee36328@May 11 2005, 01:36 PM
there are two places i know of, which do paint jobs for ferrari, porsche, aston martin... if u demand a showroom finish, that's what u need... will dig out my contact book....

a 328 owner who says he'll drive slowly is like a politician who promises lower taxes... he he he.... but do take care....
"a 328 owner who says he'll drive slowly is like a politician who promises lower taxes... he he he...."

:D :rofl:

I got a next project in mind...Autofoam like your car :D

For 5k, at the right place, you will have a supreme show car paint job.

ZeNeGer, I'm not certain of the cost (which would be astronomical, assuming that the internals can be swapped without drastic changes), but don't bother. I wouldn't trust any mech in Malaysia to carry it out properly. If you really want a 328, sell the 325 off and just get a 328.

Digital aircon came in the later models - '96 onwards I think.

Originally posted by ZeNeGeR@May 11 2005, 12:46 PM
well alot info here

anyway i just bough a 325 1994 totally stock last month. After tested my friend 1996 328 feel abit sad and made a wrong decision. 328 much more powerfull with digital air con and leather seat too.

Any idea can 325 convert to 328 by changing conrod piston and ect ect ?? cost how much ?

My next upgrade is looking for rims 17 bbs or AC any good place recommend with attractive price ?sifu
My dear friend....

take heart in the fact that the hp of the 325 is only one less than the 328...

the torque is higher in the 328 owing to the more restricted intake manifold... you can do a swap, but then you'll need to change the engine ecu mapping as well.... most people actually swap the other way to get the additional hp...

also note that you enjoy much lower road tax...

woo is right... would be easier, faster, and less headache to simply buy a 328 if you really want the additional torque... his is an excellent low-miler, if you want to check it out... ;) ;) ;)

how to sell ? just bough a month hahaha if sell also alot rugi lor...

yeah the torque and the smoothniest really attractive make me fall in love with 328 i heard 325 and 328 about the same fuel consumption also.

Originally posted by ZeNeGeR@May 11 2005, 04:12 PM
how to sell ? just bough a month hahaha if sell also alot rugi lor...

yeah the torque and the smoothniest really attractive make me fall in love with 328 i heard 325 and 328 about the same fuel consumption also.

there's always a better alternative out there...

the key to contentment and happiness is to appreciate what you have...
zeneger,

you-ah, i dunno what to say-la... if u check ur original thread, i did offer my opinion... tak mau dengar... how?

fuel consumption, maintenanc, hp, all about the same... roadtax rm800 per year...

the one thing shud not do is to try a 328 after getting the 325.... you'll fall in love with the TORQUE!

of course makes no sense to sell if u just bought... but trying to convert it yourself is trickier still.. that's what woo is saying, and i agree...

Just stumbled on this thread ...

I like and love my car ...

Maintenance ///m /// hmmmm... well ...lembu mau beli kalau tali takbley complain lar...

ekekekekekekkekek

*scraping last left over from savings while saying that *

hakakakakakaakakakak :D

A quick one... during hard acceleration on top of getting pinned back on the seats, I can feel like the car is jerking of something(I don't know how to really explain it), not really apparent but I'm the kind that feels the car even though a needle is loose somewhere. Is it me or is that the car is that way?

need more info...

describe the jerking in more detail...

is it coming from front or back?

do you feel it in the steering wheels (front), or in the seat of your pants (back), or IN your pants (you, seriously ENJOYING the car... jes kidding!)?

Originally posted by ccl68@May 10 2005, 05:45 PM
Congratulations in owning a 328i.
I also recently treated myself to a 328i Cabrio.
Yes the torque is strong. Sometime when i am not attentive, it pins me to my seat, almost wrenching my head off my neck!!
But my car inherited the dreaded scuttle shakes.
Nevertheless, driving up to Camerons, Genting, Penang, or after work from Shah Alam to KL in the evenings is great, with all that power & torque.

I have also been advised to be wary of the geabox condition, so i intend to change oil every other engine ol service.

btw, can anyone tell me, what is the actual height for my car? I find it very low and suspect it has been lowered before. Hopefully, i can do something before I crush my exhaust system.

Cheers!
My friend,

lowered is good...... people pay lots a money to lower the car...

find out what spring you are on... the previous owner may have put in a set of lowered performance springs....

you just need to be extra slow and careful going over humps, that's all...

Originally posted by WAFS328@May 11 2005, 11:22 AM
Agreed that the first thing you'll feel is the torque especially at the bottom end. Then the top speed. However, I do feel the acceleration/gearchange is less smooth compared to E46 328. But the power must be more or less the same.
On the strong torque, I really must ease off the throttle otherwise I'll be pin down on my seat like ccl68 mentioned. My only concern is that the power delivery should be smoother...
wafs328,

a lot of people actually look for e36 because they find the e46 a tad too refined and detached for their liking, and likewise some people swear by the e30 because the e36 itself was too smooth and detached... and this trend is continuing, with the latest e90 being so smooth, a girl can drive it while chatting on the mobile phone and applying her nail polish... tried the Z4 also... my mother could drive it while cooking dinner and changing her grand daughter's diapers... jump into a porsche 911 (circa 1987-1989), or any Mit EVO, and you'll see the difference...

therefore, according to this school of thought, some degree of directness (and hence roughness) is good because it lets you feel the car. Take your car to track and you'll appreciate this immediately... in fact, you'll find our e36 TOO smooth... you don't feel the snap oversteer coming until it SLAPS you in the face... (personal experience... he he..)

to put it in another context, the varying degrees of smoothness is like... (moderator, please don't censor this, meant as a humorous metaphor, thank you...)

e46 - two prophylactic, loads of lubricant, very polite and civilised, with a thank you note afterwards...
e36 - one prophylactic, and likes to slap without warning...
e30 - no prophylactic, and likes to yell, bite and scratch...
e21 - no prophylactic in an illegal orifice, and looks underaged... dangerous, exciting, and occasionally, PAINFUL...

there's something to be enjoyed in each case, it's just a different form of enjoyment....

Originally posted by Lee36328@May 12 2005, 01:19 PM
need more info...

describe the jerking in more detail...

is it coming from front or back?

do you feel it in the steering wheels (front), or in the seat of your pants (back), or IN your pants (you, seriously ENJOYING the car... jes kidding!)?
I don't know exactly how to say it but it not really jerking, my passenger and other drivers don't feel it, they say nothing wrong. Only i personally feel it. Its sort of like the engine wants to push out the power and like something is blocking it. I asked someone else and he mentioned that this is called power delivery? he said the power delivery is not smooth and the 328 is like that? That person i asked was driving an e36 328 and now he is driving an e46 325. So i had a go in his car and i noticed that when i floor the pdeal, i don't get that kind of 'jerking' feeling but its doesn't pinn me down to the seats like my car. Sorry, I really can't explain out how is the 'jerking' like.

Top Bottom