e36 328 ownership experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
How My Fuel Consumption Improved 17.5%

Been struggling to get my fuel consumption below RM0.26/km recently. Per my records, I used to be able to get RM0.22/km and even RM0.21/km. Recent headlines about increasing fuel prices globally pricked my conscience to study the matter further.

I tried various hypermiling techniques. Driving like sailing (anticipating the traffic ahead to avoid braking as much as possible). Accelerating gently, treating the gas pedal like an egg shell. Even switching off the aircond when the weather got cool. To no avail. The petrol receipt mocked me each time I refueled. I can hear Opec ministers smirking with glee.

My googling yielded one final area I have not tried. A low-budget mod. I dropped by the nearest service shop and put it on for RM20, refreshed the tank to the fullest, and watched the fuel gauge meter breathlessly.

Eureka! I got a 17.5% improvement in the next tank. It's back to RM0.2194.

The solution? The humble and oft-neglected tire pressure.

Mine was 30 psi all round. I pumped it up to 33 psi front and 36 psi rear per recommended spec. Cost RM20 because it was nitrogen (normal air would also do.)

Who would have thought 3-6 psi made such a significant difference? RM20 recovered in a single fill-up. I'm back, baby! :rock:

Notes:
Fuel price : RM2.15/litre
Consumption :
before, at RM0.26/km - 0.27/km,
12.09 - 12.56 litre/100km, approx 23 mpg (uk)

after, at RM0.219449/km,
10.20693 litre/100km, approx 27.68 mpg (uk)

this mine,
25cent/km (road condition: banyak bukit woo, also speed bump + road block + speed trap) (driving style: makan angin, kura-kura mode)

also experiment without aircond (full time) experiment using 15L v power :about RM0.19/km (drive malam only)

play power: bloody hell 30 to 35++cent /km

Fuel price : RM2.15/litre. (V-P)

Hi Lee,

I'm very interested in installing the Raizin (blue) Voltage stabilizer after reading the positive comments on this.

could you kindly PM me where I can purchase and install this.

Thanks in advance

Maxu;263847 said:
Hi Lee,

I'm very interested in installing the Raizin (blue) Voltage stabilizer after reading the positive comments on this.

could you kindly PM me where I can purchase and install this.

Thanks in advance

No pbm. You have PM.

Zul_84;258327 said:
thanks Lee36328
good news, its nothing to do with fuel pump, crank sensor, starter, fuel regulator.... actually it was my (P) and hand brake. my hand brake cable very loose and depend on (P) then my P sangkut, :eek:

i dont know what the hack relation between P and engine that made my engine stuck when starting. then in P position before i start, i will move my car forward backward little bit (because my hand brake loose) then i start it just with one crank... vroom!!,:rock:

dunno what kind of tips my mech told me, but its work...
moral of the story, tighten your hand brake ....very tight. i will repair my handbrake cable on weekend. at the moment i need push my car forward backward before start... like an idiot at parking lot :stupid:

but its workkk:rock:

same situation with my:
1) Acc just change belting instead compressor
2) bukk sound disappear after change ATF
3) engine stuck/hard to start - handbrake???

sometime we miss small thing and think the big thing got a problem... hahaha
problem solve (at the moment)
hmmmm. very familiar symptom. My mechanic also told me the same thing to do for my dad's volvo. But i can't remember what was the prob.... it happened many years ago...

was the prob fixed? erm.. no idea coz we sold off the car long time ago too. LOL.. can't really remember. Maybe will ask my dad later.

Last month, some oil stains appeared on my driveway
and I sent my328i to a nearby BMW/shop to correct the leaks
and here's what hit me:-
a. Sump gasket - RM98
b. Filter HSG gasket - 52.50
c. Oil filter - 38.60
d. Oil seal - 98.00
e. Bleeder nut - 15.00
f. Labour [renew sump gasket] - 120
g. Labour [renew oil filter housing gasket] - 80

This fellow claim to be buddy-buddy with me but
I think you can get a better deal elsewhere, any comments?
have a good day then.....

zephyr3d;264826 said:
hmmmm. very familiar symptom. My mechanic also told me the same thing to do for my dad's volvo. But i can't remember what was the prob.... it happened many years ago...

was the prob fixed? erm.. no idea coz we sold off the car long time ago too. LOL.. can't really remember. Maybe will ask my dad later.

thanks for the info zephyr3d,
now what i do, not start the engine in (P) position because it always make my engine fail to spin, but i will start at position (N), then it can ignite smoothly.

i think this caused by security system installed by previous owner, very difficult to start the car... need to wait lah, need to do several procedures lah, need to enter password lah, need to unlock steering lahh.... :stupid:

Zul,

As I have said before, the benefit of getting a heavily modified car is that you get all the mods already included in the price. The disadvantage is that problems are difficult to solve unless you have full knowledge of what was done.

Lee36328;265229 said:
Zul,

As I have said before, the benefit of getting a heavily modified car is that you get all the mods already included in the price. The disadvantage is that problems are difficult to solve unless you have full knowledge of what was done.

very difficult.... still working on it.. :77: :77: :77:

Saw the car in the flesh today.

Very nice condition, and very nice price! Well done, Vincent.

nice car .... justin i will need you once my car is out from the paint shop ..soon ...

SarJeePekAi;264832 said:
Last month, some oil stains appeared on my driveway
and I sent my328i to a nearby BMW/shop to correct the leaks
and here's what hit me:-
a. Sump gasket - RM98
b. Filter HSG gasket - 52.50
c. Oil filter - 38.60
d. Oil seal - 98.00
e. Bleeder nut - 15.00
f. Labour [renew sump gasket] - 120
g. Labour [renew oil filter housing gasket] - 80

This fellow claim to be buddy-buddy with me but
I think you can get a better deal elsewhere, any comments?
have a good day then.....

My 328i also same problem lah. Just got it back today.
- Power steering fluid 19.80
- Hose clip 12-20 Wuerth 2 pcs 14.00
- Low pressure hose 1ft 58.00
- Power steering container 98.00
- Power steering rack (recon) 1200.00
- Labor to rebuild shaft axle 298.00

Car feels much better now. Maybe imagination lah, pay so much already. Maybe I'll post some pics of my car tomorrow after I charge the camera batteries.

Bro, how come the steering rack so expensive one? I remembered getting one from chop shop for my sister's 318i for just a few hundred only.

han2u;278377 said:
My 328i also same problem lah. Just got it back today.
- Power steering fluid 19.80
- Hose clip 12-20 Wuerth 2 pcs 14.00
- Low pressure hose 1ft 58.00
- Power steering container 98.00
- Power steering rack (recon) 1200.00
- Labor to rebuild shaft axle 298.00

Car feels much better now. Maybe imagination lah, pay so much already. Maybe I'll post some pics of my car tomorrow after I charge the camera batteries.

Top Bottom