About BMW Diesel

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
boonster;811867 said:
Does the local BMW cars come with the dreaded Diesel Particle Filter (DPF)?

BMW diesel cars in Malaysia have their DPF removed before they get onto the road in Malaysia. Due to poor euro 2 diesel sold in Malaysia.

nice... i have seen those videos where they clean out the DFI with a high pressure hose ... yucks....

off topic: i was told that for peugeot diesels, they have their DPF still intact, but have to change every 100k

best to ask how much they cost ... then do not fall off the chair when they tell you..... :)

anyway if they do not use a DPF, does BMW put in a standard cat in the exshaust?

Yes the catalytic converter is still there to convert harmful gases while the DPF has a different function which is to remove soot. So in general diesel cars sold by BMW in Malaysia are considered Euro3 standard.

Our fuel standard is euro 2M, which has about 500ppm of sulphur content. Euro 3 is 350ppm. However with an ecu remap, lowered injector pressure and the removal of the DPF all the local diesel cars work without much problems.

To me the best Diesel engine is the 3.0d. Have driven the 335d, performance wise not that much greater and it's not a frugal machine. The other favorite of mine is the 123d, fun and nippy.

Cheers

meaning that the parallel imported model, without taking out the DPF and remapping the ECU, will have problems in the very near future with our B5 diesel... interesting....

I don't know if third party workshops are able to do it now but couple of years ago when I was in Kuching for a road show, many grey BMW owners especially those with X5 and X6 diesel got their cars stranded. So if you are considering a BMW diesel get one from the authorized dealers.

if they go to B10 mix to reduce the palm oil stockpile i may have to get a petrol car.... :(

r37720;778914 said:
the only thing that u have to do is to clean the oil slug inside the inlet manifold for every 6months, clean up oil breather , remove the flap and always take care the air cleaner .. otherwise you are going to black smoke the car behind you....

Hi r37720,

Would you be kind enough to show us how to clean the oil sludge ? Appreciate if you can document it with picture to share with us or better still live demo :)

Now there is something I'm thinking about. I checked on mudah.my
1) 328i 2012 warranty until 2015 is selling at 240000.(mileage20000)
2) 2011 520d warranty until March 2014 selling at 235000.(mileage30000)
3) recon 2010 520d pre reg mileage 3000+ selling at 230k.
4)2011 520d dark blue warranty until July 2014 selling at 230k.

- - - Updated - - -

Now there is something I'm thinking about. I checked on mudah.my
1) 328i 2012 warranty until 2015 is selling at 240000.(mileage20000)
2) 2011 520d warranty until March 2014 selling at 235000.(mileage30000)
3) recon 2010 520d pre reg mileage 3000+ selling at 230k.
4)2011 520d dark blue warranty until July 2014 selling at 230k.

Would you be kind enough to show us how to clean the oil sludge ? Appreciate if you can document it with picture to share with us or better still live demo :)[/QUOTE]

yes... can someones kindly show how to do it??

i doubt that they will know in the beginning.. but after understanding and seeing myself what the new tracking system that they have.... yes they know...

i am still in the dark how they actually do it.. but its either thru the key module or they have a satelitte tracker that beams the location and status of the car.. yet to figure this out but i have seen it in action. useful but not funny..

steviey;807208 said:
SA told me that they will know if u do ur in between service interval outside. Is that true?

Advantages

The main advantage of diesel engine is the inexpensive fuel. Then the cost difference between diesel fuel and AI-98 petrol reaches the 20% level even the owners of expensive cars start to save. The fuel efficiency of diesel engines is 36% and higher. The efficiency of petrol-powered engine is only 25% that means that the diesel engine wastes less fuel than the petrol-powered engine.

The diesel engine as compared to the petrol-powered engine of the equal volume of combustion chamber has advantage of higher torque. It is critically important for minivans and station wagons. No alternative engines are mounted now on trucks. High torque helps in the city traffic; it allows moving on minimal engine turnover in traffic jams.
Disadvantages

The basic disadvantage of diesel engine is that it is expensive. It expensive both in manufacturing (due to high work load) and also in maintenance. It is expensive due to ecological incompatibility of its exhaust and due to necessity to adjust its exhaust according to strict requirements of international agreements.

The fuel in diesel engine is ignited by the heat of the compressed air. It results in that fact that fuel had no time to fully mix with the air and it produces CH, NOX and carbon black during the combustion process. The carbon black is particularly visible then it colors the exhaust in black. And if in the case of hydrocarbons it can be removed by catalyst, the quantity of carbon black in the exhaust is adjusted by the special exhaust filter, which is mounted between the exhaust collector and the catalyst. The exhaust filter is warming up in the flow of exhaust gas that results in carbon black afterburning. Periodically the residual carbon black should be burned up and on the command block instruction the gas temperature is raised at the end of the combustion stroke due to burning of an additional quantity of fuel.

The catalyst have more complex design due to irregular chemistry of the exhaust gases.

Now let look at the problems concerning diesel fuel. As it’s known, the diesel fuel occurs to be of 2 kinds – summer fuel and winter fuel. They differ in the temperature of solidification. When the fuel freezes the fuel pump is unable to flush it and that’s the end... You are standing idle on the road shoulder unable to start the engine. This can be avoided by warming up the fuel piping (also fuel tank for trucks). Contrary to diesel fuel the petrol is non-freezing.

HPFP of diesel engine is extremely unreliable unit. Due to its operation on high pressures the ingress of water into the fuel is a mortal danger. Therefore water separator is required. The small particles of dirt also can damage the pump, therefore the filter after filler is necessary. In Russian environment 2 filters are required due to very dirty diesel fuel in Russia and not all resellers provide autos equipped with such engines to Russia. Such complexity of engine systems results in high prices on diesel engines – sometimes the price difference compared to petrol-powered engines is up to 4000 Euro.

Noise and vibration till the latest times could not be separated from the words “Diesel engine”. Attempts to neutralize them are in wrapping up the engine compartment by acoustic insulation, balancing the engine moments and calibrating the control units.

Why Diesel engines are still popular?

The first, the ecological regulations are kept in foreign countries and the owners of ecology-friendly autos have discounts on assurance and other taxes.

Secondly, on condition of quality oil fueling and maintenance on the regular base diesel engine can operate up to half-million kilometers without capital repair. And that is the sure gain.

The third, the turbo-supercharging diesel engine can surely play the role of “fire-starter”. Many car manufacturers follow that way.

So if you think whether to buy diesel-powered car or not, you have to drive at least couple dozens of kilometers and you will appreciate whether you like it or not.

hi billjackson...for your personal opinion,does a someone like me it worth if i buy a diesel car(thinking to get 320d e90) someday? actually my big concerns about this diesel cars is maintenance only

Nmr Nik Soh;853016 said:
hi billjackson...for your personal opinion,does a someone like me it worth if i buy a diesel car(thinking to get 320d e90) someday? actually my big concerns about this diesel cars is maintenance only

Buy the E90 320d Nik Soh! It's a thrill-a-minute car! Our cars have been on the road for 4 years now and the mechanics have only praise for our trouble-free engines! Maintenance is a non-issue. The torquey drive is something you can use all the time in city driving, both to get ahead of the cars in front and also, more importantly, to bring a smile to your face! No regrets thus far and diesel engines have a reputation of being long-lasting. Diesel vehicles of 20 to 30 years old are still plying our roads these days showing the longetivity of these engines. I also really appreciate our hyraulic heavier steerings. The F30 now is drive by wire. No mechanical connection to the wheels. Lost of feedback and steering is way much lighter. It's the way forwards to save fuel consumption by 2 to 4 % but the E90 drivers love our hydraulic steerings!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

dark1234 said:
thats how doc ray get his $100 Mil use diesel to save money, 1 month diesel use RM 180 only !.
Chee Huat said:
Dear Bro. docrayboy,

100% agree with you. I love my 320d M Sport so much.
Can't live withou it.
^_^
I love my 320D m sport......... I do the right choice

Top Bottom