520i vs 520d

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Gan_24

Club Guest
Dear Bor'sI am planing to buy F10 but i am not sure which one of this is better .Diesel or Petrol?I need some advise from you guys for reference.Thanks.

Thanks bro. With your reference I already book 520I.Thanks again Bro.

This is some feedback I get as I research into this topic.

Basically, the 520i apparently sold more than the 520d. 520d are popular with people who understands technical advantage of the diesels. Many of the customers are engineers, foreigners or Malaysians who have returned home from territories where diesels are popular.

On the other hand, locals tend to go with 520i as they are more familiar with petrol technology, the myth of associating diesel with dirtiness and the noise engine of these cars. All these in addition translates into relatively poorer resale value for the 520d( of course it's compensated with lower acquisition cost).

So there you are. As we speak, I am facing similar dilemma.

Toffeeman.. compared to petrol, its no myth that diesel is dirtier & noisier.

If u can overlook those "character flaws", the 'd' provides more driving pleasure esp when it has PPK + Vector :burnout:

_M_;829436 said:
Toffeeman.. compared to petrol, its no myth that diesel is dirtier & noisier.

If u can overlook those "character flaws", the 'd' provides more driving pleasure esp when it has PPK + Vector :burnout:

Noisier, yes. Dirtier, not really. It just so happen that my in-law has an identical car to mine, namely I have the 520d while he has the 520i. Similar down to color exterior and interior! I find both to be ok to drive with my d being slightly noisier but not enough to be intrusive and spoil the comfort of the car. One point that I don't like about the 520i is the AWS, I find that it gives the turning an unnatural and less direct feel to the steering. Give both a try and you'd notice the difference.

The d would have lower running cost especially if u drive it on long distance trips often...

I decided on the "i" specifically because of the IAS - Integral Active Steering - as I had this on my E60. Also the "i" has the 4 - zone Climate.

To each his own. The additional torque on the "d" is "Fun" with a capital "F".

Recently did a road-trip through Europe and was in a "d". Let me tell you- if equipment levels were equal and I get to choose again- it would be the "d"

I went from Paris to Italy before needing to fill up !

I'm going to challenge the "diesel is noisier" statement. I have recently come out of an E60 530d, which I will easily rate as the Best Car I Have Ever Owned. It was a little noisier on cold start but then quietened down nicely once all warmed up ... to the extent that pedestrians would not hear me coming up behind them, even in covered car parks.

Granted, my 530d experience was in Europe, where I was running Euro IV grade diesel at worst, and I believe this is the difference. I checked with the dealers here before my own purchase decision and the verdict was that you would need to change your diesel filter annually to counter the effects of the industrial machinery-grade diesel that is sold here. That ended up swinging me to the 528i over the 520d or even the 530d if they would bring it in.

I'm also 100% with cafee on the fun factor of the diesel torque. My 530d was good enough for me to pester Porsche Cayennes on the autobahn and gave me 900 kilometres range even at 220km/h. If we had better grade diesel in this country, I would never again buy a petrol car.

cafee said:
I decided on the "i" specifically because of the IAS - Integral Active Steering - as I had this on my E60. Also the "i" has the 4 - zone Climate.

To each his own. The additional torque on the "d" is "Fun" with a capital "F".

Recently did a road-trip through Europe and was in a "d". Let me tell you- if equipment levels were equal and I get to choose again- it would be the "d"

I went from Paris to Italy before needing to fill up !
I, too, would have chosen 520d if the equipment level is the same (even if the price is the same as 520i).

For now, it's 520i for me.

Top Bottom