whats the best engine oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Phd? Me? No lah.. I'm just a high school drop out.. but one of my partners is a PHD in engineering and did some time studying tribology ..as well he has written books .. his current specialty is Safety engineering in the Oil and Gas / Marine industry .. He is Anand, I am brendan. I started out in Stainless Steel fabrication and mechanical installation, then did software for about 15 years and now moved to Automotive line.. I'm just a big believer in the saying "set your mind and your A$$ will follow" and Google of course :)

Originally posted by Autochild@Dec 22 2005, 09:00 AM
Phd? Me? No lah.. I'm just a high school drop out.. but one of my partners is a PHD in engineering and did some time studying tribology ..as well he has written books .. his current specialty is Safety engineering in the Oil and Gas / Marine industry .. He is Anand, I am brendan. I started out in Stainless Steel fabrication and mechanical installation, then did software for about 15 years and now moved to Automotive line.. I'm just a big believer in the saying "set your mind and your A$$ will follow" and Google of course :)
I thought you are Anand :)

:p :p

My UDM is due for oil service, so ... since autochild talk a lot about lube, I sent my UDM there yesterday ..... to try their service.

The place is as what Muclehedz claim 'the workshop is DEAD CLEAN, white floors, no oil residues anywhere, tools are in a neat order'. The place run by Branden and Anand..... nice guys. ( anyway ther have to be nice to customer)

They only carry fully imported lubricant like, ADNOC, Redline, Royal Purple & Q8. ( I never heard of these lubes before except Q8, and you know what is ADNOC mean, Abu Dhabi National Oil Company. the price of mineral based 20W-50 ADNOC is RM9 per litre ( not is expensive as compare to other locally blend oils.) imported oil is a good choice because the locally blend brands is 'highly pirated' by local rascals. ( I knew these since my sister company is doing lubricant business and badly hit by these rascals)

I was recomended by Brendan to use Royal Purple 15W 40 fully synt. RM45 per litre. He also recomended me to do oil flushing and de-carb. I also being brief on ATF flushing ( the way they do it, using fully computerised machine)

They will flush yr engine till the color of the oil you pour is the same with the color you drain out. Reason is to make sure all the deposits, sludge or whatever inside there is clear .....

After this was done he ask me to test my car performance, my answer is ' nothing special, I don't feel any different, give me few days to test and get the feeling of my car'. Anand told me that there must be a different and I would get extra 5 BHP ....... yeah, you are right ... my reply.

Driving back to home only I feel the different. My car is more responsive and the feeling is 'excellent' I realy can fell the diffferent. ...unbelieveble by doing a simple thing like oil flush and de-card, my car feel '10 years younger'

I will go there again soon for the ATF flushing and I am bringing my sister e34 and brother e36 together.

I am recommending this (ATF Flush) to others before you send your gearbox to yr mechanic for any repair or servicing. .... why not try their service and spend 2 300 ringgit, you might save 2 3000 ringgit.

So ... moral of the story is ...... pay a visit to this place, have a talk to them, get a free drinks and the choice is yours.

Stuntman Baiyee ..Iceman, I recomend you to visit this guys and argue about your 45days oil change or the oil you use..... just don't fight....

Thanks autochild.

hey ... I don't commission for this ye..... I was not given any discount yeaterday. They even charge me RM20 for the oil sum screw they broke it.

YAzid :getyourfactsright: :getyourfactsright:

BMW recommends CASTROL TWS or formerly known as Formula RS!

Used on the M3 GTR which killed the porsches on the track,
http://www.7extrememotorsports.com/lemans/...w-m3-gt-e46.htm

And this is the information bulletin from BMW, if BMW recommends it, it should be safe to use!

BMW Service Information Bulletin 11 06 01, October 2001

BMW has changed their engine-oil recommendation for all M cars equipped with the new S54 engine (E46 M3 coupe and convertible, 2001-on M coupe and M roadster) from the previous BMW High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 engine oil (made by Castrol), pn 07 51 0 017 866 (1 quart), to Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 Synthetic Engine Oil (previously known as Castrol Formula RS 10W-60. . . the oil is the same, only the name has changed) pn 07 51 0 009 420 (1 liter).

Presently, BMW recommends Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 for all S54-equipped M-cars as well as all S62-equipped M5s and Z8s produced after 3/00, the factory recommends BMW High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 engine oil. The oil change interval of approximately 15,000 miles or once a year remains unchanged.

Now when is Autochild opening a branch in Penang?

ps/ Castrol is a brand of BP. I read about BP buying the company last year or two ago.

No matter what brand u use as long as u service ur engine regularly,any brand will work and help u protect your engine!
The recommendation from BMW is a way how to help them make money.Do u think a company who produce engine oil will only do a testing on 1 engine?If got the company sure bankrupt soon.Because only the person who own the engine will use it!
My recommendation is to use flushing oil on ur engine before u change a new engine oil.This is to make sure all the dirt will not stay inside the engine.You will feel more powerful after service.

Originally posted by bmwlover@Jan 4 2006, 05:07 PM
No matter what brand u use as long as u service ur engine regularly,any brand will work and help u protect your engine!
The recommendation from BMW is a way how to help them make money.Do u think a company who produce engine oil will only do a testing on 1 engine?If got the company sure bankrupt soon.Because only the person who own the engine will use it!
My recommendation is to use flushing oil on ur engine before u change a new engine oil.This is to make sure all the dirt will not stay inside the engine.You will feel more powerful after service.
definitely you can use any brand of engine oil and change it regularly while protecting the engine....

the bottomline for the engine to work without seizing and scarring the crankshaft bearings and other internal parts is as long as the engine is filled to the recommended level with lubricant, then it shouldn't fail....

however, please bear in mind that all lubricants comes with different additives package and viscosity grades to meet with the current demands of engine performances... as the engine technology improves, so does the engine oil...

but the lubricant is like the lifeline for the engine... similar to blood for our body... fortunately we have livers to help us cleanse and filter out all toxins and unwanted materials.... but the engine requires the filters and the engine oil to be changed occasionally.....

now, if one were to donate blood, do you think that the national blood bank will just simply accept blood without testing?

and if one needs blood transfusion, would one require the best or any blood will do? fortunately, we have the medical people to seave out the not so good and the ok blood initially....

whatever brands are okie, and if u want to be sure of the most suitable and quality brand, then go for one which is license with the API logo and listed in the www.eolcs.api.org

similarly, it's like getting blood from the national blood bank and not from some "ah kow blood bank"....

cheers...

i blend my own oil...add some molybdenum...AW and some detergent....and there are not mineral...i produce them from raw acids...there you have a complete lineup for fully synthetic oil.....producing oil i must say is far more easier than producing one suitable for your engine....that's why you have numerous brand in the market...additives in the oil are regardless of the engine condition...they are optimized to serve new and old engines....oil pro long the life of your engine...agree...only if you are using a correct oil. For ex. wat autochild mention earlier is true in itz way...get the oil rather than the brand...if you really don't know...consult a tribologist.....maybe you can consult me after 10 years(baru saja berjinak-jinak dalam bidang minyak)...ok guys...good luck in choosing the right oil for your engine.

regards

ps: i use Wurth Triathlon fully syn.

Castrol magnetic

I use Castrol magnetic all my car.

Semi or Fully Syntetic is good but will caused leak to some old engine.

I would rather change oil every 5000km using a good oil then every 15000km using better oil.

Wat do u think?

Thanks Daniel, for your advice

I'm new here by the way and I know very little about cars.

What's mineral oil?

Lynn

javis;487021 said:
I use Castrol magnetic all my car.

Semi or Fully Syntetic is good but will caused leak to some old engine.

I would rather change oil every 5000km using a good oil then every 15000km using better oil.

Wat do u think?

look at the oil cap..mine use castrol magnatec also..same goes to my previous car..:top:

Whatever the case, I just know Mobil 1 is a good choice...

When I bought my 11 year old E34, the oil inside was charcoal black I think it was probably soya sauce or smth..and immediately went to service and been changing every 5000km with semi syn Mobil 1, until now the engine has been purring (car is 14 years now)

Many Mobil1 fakes around, if after 14 years still no problem, must be genuine.. :D

I use Mobile 1 including other model of my car , so far no problem all these year. :rolleyes:

:wink::wink::wink:
astroboy;488082 said:
Many Mobil1 fakes around, if after 14 years still no problem, must be genuine.. :D

...not to mention castrol, helix and castrol too ....:listen:

there is a new oil in the market called "Titan Power Motor oil" of 10W/50 grade. must give it a try some day ...heard its value for money ...full synthetic but at the price of a semi ....

However, a point to note, engine oil has its function and purpose mainly to safegaurd and increase engine lifespan, a proper (correct viscosity) oil is required.Like most of us agree, not necassarily recommended by manufacturer (especially to continental cars), climate condtion plays a significant role in engine oil to engine life perspective ....A (periodic) regular oil change is a must. If this is ignored ..... even a "space jet engine oil" :eek: will not do your engine any good ...:wink:

Someone just gave me a bottle of Mobil1 Fully synthetic 5W-50........is this ok for my 4-potter E90 320i? I intend to change my oil every 10000 km or every 6 months. Whichever comes first.

Top Bottom