whats the best engine oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by hybrid@Jul 27 2005, 05:02 AM
hi,

what're your comments and thoughts on oil viscosity level of 5w-30?
Isn't 5-30 a wee bit thin?.... unless yours is a new car

If your car is well maintained. not too old a 5W-30 provides good protection esp. during cold start. Infact, it give good FC or better mileage. Equally it provides all the necessary protection too. I refer to full synthetic oil here.

Too Thin? No. read your manual, most Continental car recommends this grade for their factory fill.

If you are using a thicker oil like 20W-50 you are likely to get a bad mileage i.e wasting petrol, without necessarily increase the protection of the engine. of course, unless you have worn piston rings, leaking and faulty seals etc.

Originally posted by MONTOYA@Jul 28 2005, 01:34 AM
If your car is well maintained. not too old a 5W-30 provides good protection esp. during cold start. Infact, it give good FC or better mileage. Equally it provides all the necessary protection too. I refer to full synthetic oil here.

Too Thin? No. read your manual, most Continental car recommends this grade for their factory fill.

If you are using a thicker oil like 20W-50 you are likely to get a bad mileage i.e wasting petrol, without necessarily increase the protection of the engine. of course, unless you have worn piston rings, leaking and faulty seals etc.
thanx for the elucidation bud ;)

I am currently using Nasa GD7 fully synthetic 5W/40 for my 1999 e36 318i. No problem to-date. Got the oil for a promom price of RM100 plus a scale 1:10 radio control racing car (for my kid). What do you guys think?

i think that is a good deal, if the Nasa thingee is a genuine full synthetic oil. Then so is the new BP 5W-40 oil @RM99.00 (Promo price). These oils do not comply with the BMW longlife 98/01 spec. Thus don't follow your onboard computer service schedule instead change at 10K. then all is well :p .

Originally posted by MONTOYA@Aug 19 2005, 05:18 PM
i think that is a good deal, if the Nasa thingee is a genuine full synthetic oil. Then so is the new BP 5W-40 oil @RM99.00 (Promo price). These oils do not comply with the BMW longlife 98/01 spec. Thus don't follow your onboard computer service schedule instead change at 10K. then all is well :p .
I heard about this. It's fully synthetic right?! :dunno:

Could anyone tell me what engine oil grade should we use for old cars. I mean like mine is already 8 years (year 1997), what should i use .... 10w50 kem 15w50 ke, 10w60 ke, 5w40 ke?

I'm using shell helix plus (semi-syn) ... i think it is 15w50. is this ok?

as engines gets older, wear increases although it is not visible. in my opinion, it is best to get thicker engine oils as it will fill up any clearances that occur due to wear and tear .

i'm using NASA GD 11 (10W 30 ).... RM 55/=
with 2 cans of the NASA engine treatment that cost me RM 8/=each

That all i have to spend every 45 days initially till i got all the sludge and so on drained off... now i'm doing it every 60 days. engine and rev feels much more responsive.
OIL filter will be changed during the 3rd oil change.

on a serious note : i'm not worried if i have to travel outstation tomorrow and having those fear that i've not serviced my car yet .... :D

Originally posted by ICEMAN 13@Nov 22 2005, 03:33 AM
i'm using NASA GD 11 (10W 30 ).... RM 55/=
with 2 cans of the NASA engine treatment that cost me RM 8/=each

That all i have to spend every 45 days initially till i got all the sludge and so on drained off... now i'm doing it every 60 days. engine and rev feels much more responsive.
OIL filter will be changed during the 3rd oil change.

on a serious note : i'm not worried if i have to travel outstation tomorrow and having those fear that i've not serviced my car yet .... :D
Dude, how do u really kno if u hv got all da sludge out? :)

i have been using the Q8 f1 engine oil for about 1500 km , my car is already coming to the tenth year , will the oil not good for my car?

Stick to mineral oil
===============

a veteran mechanic of 25 years has pointed out that typical m'sian cars that do not travel hundreds of kilometres a day do not need syn engine oil. that goes for german cars as well, regardless old or new. it's just a waste of money, and enrich only the stockists and oil companies.

gist of his message is: use mineral oil, change oil every 5,000km, and your engine will be in tip-top condition for years to come. it's just as well since oil filters don;t last beyond that mileage.

Mineral Oils recommended are Total and Castrol. I have confidence in this guy's advice, so will stop using Mobil 1 from next service. oh, no need for engine oil flush if no additives (eg x-1r, bardarhl, stp whatever) have been used prior to the switch.

Originally posted by Crymson@Aug 25 2005, 10:37 AM
Could anyone tell me what engine oil grade should we use for old cars. I mean like mine is already 8 years (year 1997), what should i use .... 10w50 kem 15w50 ke, 10w60 ke, 5w40 ke?

I'm using shell helix plus (semi-syn) ... i think it is 15w50. is this ok?
Helix plus is ACEA A3, suitable for long drain interval which is good enough for oil change at every 10,000km. This oil is also approved by BMW, me also using it now and happy with it. For RM78 per 4lit bottlE, its worth it. My 15yr old M40 engine valve tick also not as noisy when using mineral oil. :eek:k:
On older engines, using fully synthetic just watch out on the oil level. It can drop to 1/2 mark after 8000km of travel.

Seems a bit silly to worry so much about the cost of an oil when it is the lifeblood of your engine.. it should really be about quality.. understandably this is not eeasy to determine.. but price is a good clue... anyhow.. not all oils are equal regardless if they are Mineral, Semi or fully synth and a crappy cheap oil may not provide the protection you hoped for.. even with 5K change intervals.. a good Mineral oil can be better than a half baked fully synth.. it depends on the overal chemistry and that depends on the quality and quantity of the additives used.. I think using Nasa or HiRev or other local brands in your BMW is a bad idea.. in our shop we [have to tell ourselves continually to stop promoting our products.].

Peace,
Autochild

i drive my car (E46 2.5) to work almost everyday on the new pantai expressway and it so happens that at that time there is not much traffic and my engine is taken beyond 5000rpm to red line everyday twice a day..this has gone on for the past 2 years and the engine sounds sweeter the harder its driven...

i always use MOBIL 1 and nothing else!!!

regards

Top Bottom