best backbox for e46 6cyl

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by supergripen@Jun 11 2005, 12:13 AM
:lol: funny man!!!!
what i meant was what is your overall opinion of the AC box?
my RD box on my prev car didn't have the drone..only after refurbishing it at Jaafar's that i noticed the droning.quite excruciating on long drives..i frequently drive back to my hometown in penang.
Ah.

I heard it on another's ride and i thought it was cool. I knew it wouldnt make much difference in terms of bhp. So i tossed the idea. Then someone offered me this near new box and i shrugged and said what the hey...

Once on, i thought it was nice. Then it got loud. Then it got droney. I hated it. I wanted to swap it back to stock. Im a busy person and i didnt find the time to make it so. I even put the ad up for sale. Pretty soon i got used to it and grew to like it. It draws attention occasionally. It sez "dont mess wit me" at the lights. It can even set off sensitive alarms in echo-ey carparks when you accelerate hard. Kewl!

The idle is a nice low burble. Its loudest around the 2-3k rpm then it trails off after 4k. Kinda odd if you ask me. I find that i cant really travel at 100 - 110km/h due to the drone so i end up doing about 130 - 140km/h. Not too bad. It keeps you alert, you make good time and its the perfect cruising speed for the BMW.

If you are looking for power then dont look here. I honestly dont feel a bhp increase at all. But the glorious sound just makes you gas the pedal ever so often. People say it increases fuel consumption. My take is that its all to do with your right foot.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Hi,

Just curious :dunno:

I checked the price for Eisenmann exhaust around £400. And why Remus exhaust just around £250?

1) Is that means Eisenmann better than Remus?
2) How about the bassy sound? Which one is better?

According to Eisenmann website, they can produce 3 choices of sound levels:
FACTORY SPORT + 3db
FAST ROAD + 6db
RACE + 10db

:) yeah..saw that too in Eisenmann's website.

btw,u can sample the soundtrack of some sample cars at the site.. the Gallardo and the 645i simply sounds fantastic!!!!

anyways,i've kinda decided on ACS or Remus Ti Tip..

Originally posted by Marco@Jun 7 2005, 11:46 AM
i am using eisenmann exhaust...it is louder than an ACS..maybe u can try it out..it is quite popular in the uk!
Hello Marco,
Currently u are using Eisenmann right? Could you please tell us or describe what do u mean by " it's louder than an ACS" .May be in term of more bassy sounds or etc. thank you.

Supergripen,
Why did u choose Remus or ACS? Better in performance?

Actually I wanted to buy an exhaust. But dunno which want is better for my car. Eisenmann or Remus.

I called CA Automative (one of the well known BMW workshop in uk). Roy said he only choose good stuff for BMW and Eisenmann is the best. May be because he doesn't has any Remus exhaust and in fact he's the sole trader for Eisenmann in uk :D

portse7en, ur engine is 4 cylinder, so don't expect it to sound like the 6 cylinder...

Originally posted by fabianyee@Nov 6 2005, 11:49 AM
portse7en, ur engine is 4 cylinder, so don't expect it to sound like the 6 cylinder...
I dont mean it to sound like the 6 cyl.... i know 6cyl and 4cyl got different sounds maa....just curious what did Marco said "louder than ACS" :rolleyes:

I did listen some 4cyl and 6cyl with Eisenmann exhaust on the website.. but Remus didn't provide sounds file for specific car.

I dont want later on.. after I bought the exhaust someone will tell me... the other one is better :D

:) portse7en.. the reason i chose AC was cuz i want to maintain a consistent theme.my car is actually adorned with AC stuffs so it makes sense for me..only thing is AC stuffs are damn expensive!! but what the hell..only the best for my 'selene'..

i liked the remus titanium tipped box cuz of its look..u know,titanium..gives it a sorta sporty exotic aura.problem is actually finding one brand new..

so its done..i'm going to have the AC box installed once i get back to west malaysia next week.

Originally posted by supergripen@Nov 10 2005, 06:09 PM
:) portse7en.. the reason i chose AC was cuz i want to maintain a consistent theme.my car is actually adorned with AC stuffs so it makes sense for me..only thing is AC stuffs are damn expensive!! but what the hell..only the best for my 'selene'..

i liked the remus titanium tipped box cuz of its look..u know,titanium..gives it a sorta sporty exotic aura.problem is actually finding one brand new..

so its done..i'm going to have the AC box installed once i get back to west malaysia next week.
Thank u superG for the input :)

I(as a begineers) need a lot of knowledge from u all (6cyl & 4cyl) for me to get a suitable and match stuff for my car later on.

Please share ur experience with us afta the new installation :D

By the way, I cant wait anymore to buy an exhaust.Time is running out! So I ordered already Eisenmann (4cyl) from Germany yesterday. Its cost me £400 with postage.

(sometimes thinking of Remus too :unsure: ) arghhh :aggressive:

not to steal the thread but there have been mention that a few guys might be intrested in a Remus Exhaust. I have one for sale but if no one buys it soon, i am gonna open her up to preform some mods to it.........

RM1900.
any takers?

:) sorry,took me awhile..work work work.too much work..need a break but none coming in the forseeable future,DAMN!!

fitted the ACS backbox last week..initial impression,LOUD!!! it was nice but the droning at 2200 to 2500 rpm was disturbing initially..my wife hated it at first.

one thing for sure the throttle response was tonnes better than before..i don't know whether it was because of improved exhaust flow characteristics(what ACS says) or was it because of the reduced backpressure hence reduced torque hence making the gearbox work harder using lower gears..i think its a combination of both but i sure as hell am liking it!!

i managed to find a way to get around the droning by modulating the throttle to stay out of the 'drone zone'..its kinda by intiuition though,needs mastering..

but all in all,i love it!!!!
sounds the best when moving away from idle..low bassy burble thrum..luvly.
side effect,i'm driving faster all the time thus increasing fuel consumption..not complaining though cuz i love every minute of it.

now,i'm thinking of replacing the mid portion of the exhaust system including the cat with something like what speedworks have..tuned length dual piping with 2 x 2 bullet type silencers..anyone done this before?? comment???

supergripen,
We should compare notes! I have the ACS exhaust too. I share your sentiments. :)

:D 3er,cool..lets do that.i plan to do the whole system but in stages though cuz they are soooo costly.so have u done anything other than just the backbox?

saw that speedwork's boss's stroked 523i E39(its a 3.4 i think) uses the hotbits center portion that i mentioned.that shud release a few more willing horses without raising more noise.just want to know what u'all think about it..

Originally posted by supergripen@Nov 18 2005, 05:43 PM
:D 3er,cool..lets do that.i plan to do the whole system but in stages though cuz they are soooo costly.so have u done anything other than just the backbox?
Just the back box. I stopped there. Not doing more to it, i have my limits. :)

Top Bottom