The E39 Dream!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Greetings. An E39 is like no other car in its class and price range. I have a 96 E39 528i and has been in the family since day one. Its just being passed from relatives to relatives until it finally got to my hands. Been having it for 6 years already. I demanded for its full service records coz my uncle was the 1st owner and it was registered under his company. So those records were complete up to the nuts and bolts that were changed.

Maintenance of an E39 is not what anyone would say cheap. It depends what you are comparing with. Compare it with a Ferrari or latest S-Class, the E39 maintenance is peanuts. But if u compare it with a Japanese sedan or a local manufacturer, of course u get hit by the wall. Mind you, I owned a Perdana V6 before this and i can tell u the E39 maintenance cost less in terms of parts and wear and tear and also frequency of repairs. A typical BMW repair if done properly will last longer than any Japanese or local car. My absorbers lasted 8yrs! Engines and gearboxes generally last from 180k to 200k kilometers before it needs a full overhaul. Wear and tear of the undercarriage is inevitable like bushings, suspensions, arms, brakes, hoses and etc.

Overall, i am happy to say i am a very proud owner of one of the best cars ever to come out of Germany during 1996 till 2002. Very well balanced car and performance is unheard of in the late nineties. There's only one thing i can testify, MY E39 HAS NEVER LET ME DOWN BEFORE....EVER.

Regarding the child-seat. I have a child-seat installed in the back and i have no problems with space. Of course dont expect space like an Alphard or Estima. But comparing cars of the same range, an adult could still sit in the middle. To say its still comfortable would be a lie. But there is enough.

buzzlie;437448 said:
Yeah and I've been eyeing E39 myself. But if the hole is part of your concern, I heard the 1st model that fitted with upgraded E34 engine is worth the buy i.e. Year 99 and below. It will burn smaller hole compare to the newer ones as the newer version parts are more sensitive to wear and tear.
To E39 owners, please verify.

bro,
Not true. If budget permits, I suggest you go for the last batch using the M54 engine. Better throttle response and fuel economy. You need to test drive both to know the difference. Join the members for TT and you will get to know more.

For more info, click here,
http://www.official-auto.net/oa2/77/Bmw%20E39.html

http://www.e38.org/e39/

All the BMW engine specifications are here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M54

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5-Series

Bro,
Feeling is believing.. test it out yourself to feel it and then commit to it. If you managed to find a good E39 but somehow not managed to grab it for some reasons, pls let me know where the car is, my friend is looking for one.. tq

if somebody say e39 is a bad car now, i think he'll get shot immediately..ke..ke..ke

bro williest, i think you should have a decision by now

even BMW germany also cannot tell u so much about e39

i just collected my 02 520i 2.2 last week. I have owned the E36, E46, and a W211 Merc. I have to say that the ride and drive is first rate and almost comparable to the Merc and it doesnt feel underpowered either, at least up to 150kmh. Infact the handling is much better than the merc. For the price these cars are going for today, its a steal. Make sure you find a good one though. I was lucky to pick up a local AB one owner car with super low mileage. Go for the last batch 02/03. Like all model generations, the last production years are usually where all the quality issues have already been sorted out.

buzzlie;437448 said:
Yeah and I've been eyeing E39 myself. But if the hole is part of your concern, I heard the 1st model that fitted with upgraded E34 engine is worth the buy i.e. Year 99 and below. It will burn smaller hole compare to the newer ones as the newer version parts are more sensitive to wear and tear.

To E39 owners, please verify.

Yup those wt single vanos are more durable & less sensitive. Maintenance also slightly cheaper.

I'm also dreaming about E39. Unfortunately haven't become reality yet. I have tested quite a few in the market recently. My feedback is this: For an 8 - 10 year old car, it's bloody solid, rooted to the ground. And so quiet inside. No rattling whatever. I conclude that it's such a well made car. Feels heavy initially. Actually it felt like a tank at first for somebody used to Jap cars. But once you whack the accelerator, the engine revs and the car flies with such agility. You guys agree?

Very happy to read Adrian's posting saying the parts are long lasting. If that's the case, cost per km may not be as high as what some people say. After all is said and done, some things are priceless. We only live once.So for a petrolhead like myself, I say WTF. Must not deny myself the pleasure of driving a UDM.

Cheers !!

....put it this way, if Toyota or Honda now offer me their latest Camry or Accord (Brand New) for the price of a 10-12 year old E39....I will still buy the E39...but actually the Camry and Accord no comparison at all with the E39 the only thing that can compare with the E39, is another E39..........

Excellently put XXX

Bro if you have seen The One. Please get it.......hehehehe racun bisa....

I will even offer my assistance to take you and the car that you are test driving to a mechanic with the proper daignostic tool not the GT1, GT2 or LaunchX431 but the BMW Group Gmbh Mordic which is being used by BMW service centers worldwide. to find out if the car is worth your money.

In terms of maintainence We the E39 enthusias will give good unsolicited advice so that you burn do not holes in your pocket.

....put it this way if Toyota or Honda now offer me their latest Camry or Accord (Brand New) for the price of a 10-12 year old E39....I will still buy the E39...but actually the Camry and Accord no comparison at all with the E39 the only thing that can compare with the E39, is another E39..........

XXX,
Are your sure? If for the same price, you would still pick a 6-9 years old E39 vs the brand new Accord or Camry?

556129;437713 said:
i just collected my 02 520i 2.2 last week. I have owned the E36, E46, and a W211 Merc. I have to say that the ride and drive is first rate and almost comparable to the Merc and it doesnt feel underpowered either, at least up to 150kmh. Infact the handling is much better than the merc.quote]

bro,
I'm impressed that even for a 7 years old E39 still performed better in terms of ride & handling than the present W211 Benz. :top:

p/s: I wonder what the Benz owners will say if this is posted in their website???

Jerman;437822 said:
....put it this way if Toyota or Honda now offer me their latest Camry or Accord (Brand New) for the price of a 10-12 year old E39....I will still buy the E39...but actually the Camry and Accord no comparison at all with the E39 the only thing that can compare with the E39, is another E39..........

XXX,
Are your sure? If for the same price, you would still pick a 6-9 years old E39 vs the brand new Accord or Camry?

No! ... I would buy it , sell it at Market Value with discount and buy the E39...:stupid:

e39

I got mine in february '09.a '97 528i single vanos.had an e28,sold it for an e34,bought an e30 as a second car and recently sold both off for the e39.i must say the e39 is THE car to have.
i am lucky as the initial repair to bring things right and for the normal oil service after the purchase totalled to only RM2k.so far so good and absolutely no regrets.
i am,however a DIY kaki and most,if not all repairs,i attempt on my own.

things to look for :

1. steering rack leak
2. engine oil leak
3. auto box leak
4. any warning light on the instrument cluster - don't belive it if they tell you "it just
needs resetting"
5. all power windows working - if they don't they require replacment.period
6. aircond working - if not they leak coolant

best of luck.........

aDrIaN;437518 said:
Maintenance of an E39 is not what anyone would say cheap. It depends what you are comparing with. Compare it with a Ferrari or latest S-Class, the E39 maintenance is peanuts. But if u compare it with a Japanese sedan or a local manufacturer, of course u get hit by the wall. Mind you, I owned a Perdana V6 before this and i can tell u the E39 maintenance cost less in terms of parts and wear and tear and also frequency of repairs. A typical BMW repair if done properly will last longer than any Japanese or local car. My absorbers lasted 8yrs! Engines and gearboxes generally last from 180k to 200k kilometers before it needs a full overhaul. Wear and tear of the undercarriage is inevitable like bushings, suspensions, arms, brakes, hoses and etc.

Ya agree with Adrian. If we want to compare the hole, then it shud be apple to apple. Maybe for BMW, we shud compare it with Merc, Volvo or Audi and definitely not with another Japanese car.

Waa with all the racun here ... I feel like changing to E39 immediately.

XXX;437760 said:
....put it this way, if Toyota or Honda now offer me their latest Camry or Accord (Brand New) for the price of a 10-12 year old E39....I will still buy the E39...but actually the Camry and Accord no comparison at all with the E39 the only thing that can compare with the E39, is another E39..........

Ayoyo Alvin,
Was expecting you to say
"........no comparison at all with the E39 the only thing that can compare with the E39, is the E34....." :top:

Cabutz.......!!

....e34 from another planet ...so cannot use for comparison..

Jerman;437535 said:
bro,
Not true. If budget permits, I suggest you go for the last batch using the M54 engine. Better throttle response and fuel economy. You need to test drive both to know the difference. Join the members for TT and you will get to know more.

Jerman,

I agree with InitialM. U are talking about car throttle/performance or about the hole in the pocket (maintenance cost)? The 1st batch of E39 is the upgraded version of E34 and E34 Single Vanoss is well known for one of the less trouble in BMW range.

a lot of u saying e39 rated best used car...may i know where u got that rating from please?:D

jagmalhi;438865 said:
a lot of u saying e39 rated best used car...may i know where u got that rating from please?:D

It's from motoring journalists and personal experiences. I read it in the BMW Car Magazine. :top:

Hi All, i am about to embark into the e39 world. I soon going to be a proud(hopefully) owner of a 99/04 523i.
Having said that, need some guidance as to guidance as to what to look out for this car - as i am arranging to have the car check by a mechanic. Can anyone assist where i can find good workshops around PJ area ? I tried searching in the forum and could not find the list of workshop (i remember i saw it when i was browsing around).

Many thanks and looking forward to TT with y'all !!!

Top Bottom