Steering Lock - E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I think the problem is that you guys are not trashing your cars hard enough :wink:

The more u love it, take care of it, be careful with it.... the more problems it will gives u!

OT a bit: DY, you went for a long holiday or what? I thought you decided to disappear like KL2DC...or bought an Audi and went over to that forum... :D

Schwepps;386073 said:
OT a bit: DY, you went for a long holiday or what? I thought you decided to disappear like KL2DC...or bought an Audi and went over to that forum... :D

Nope, I am around but just too busy enjoying my work and car i.e the e90 325i.... well still BMW :top:

Still OT. Any idea why KL2DC has disappeared from our forum, DY? I believe you were the last to have contact with him, when he came to M'sia and you met up. He didn't post anymore after that. :106:

Schwepps;386342 said:
Still OT. Any idea why KL2DC has disappeared from our forum, DY? I believe you were the last to have contact with him, when he came to M'sia and you met up. He didn't post anymore after that. :106:

Tell u thru PM bro.

astroboy;383974 said:
Exactly true.. I have expected all this actually but didn't expect it to be that soon..

A beautiful wife does require more attention but its definitely less boring.. :D

In fact look at it this way... its better for the component to fail within the warranty period than otherwise.. :D

my colleague's e91 also faced with the same steering lock problem in Germany...the different is BMW here recall the car for change of the steering sensor...:top:

t2ribena;386679 said:
...the different is BMW here recall the car for change of the steering sensor...:top:

"..here.." means Malaysia? Got recall meh?

saya org baru.
Masalah sama saya hadapi apabila steering ter"lock" dan engin tak boleh start. So, saya antar ke mekanik di Kajang. Selepas 2 minggu, baru sat tadi depa call harganya lebih kurang RM 4,500.00 . Oleh sebab sibuk saya tak dapat ke sana. Jadi esok saya akan tahu apa yang menyebabkannya terjadi dan apa barang yang diganti. So, tungguuuuu ...
Sebelum tu saya dah cat RM 2800 Crystal blue, betulkan leaking lebih kurang RM 45o.
BM e36 saya tahun 1996 318i.... baru nak cuba dan kantoi

astroboy;387226 said:
wthell ... -_-

we should not buy BMW "there".. :D

the problem 'there' is that their top policy is IF CAN AVOID WE AVOID'
icon10.gif

Steering Lock

My car more than 2 years already and i just sent to Sapura Auto for normal service, after that steering lock (orange colour) keep coming out everytime i start the engine... Before i send my car for service (last month), no steering lock sign came up before... Don't know can claim or not coz my car more than 2 years already...

:banghead:

My turn......the yellow steering lock symbol has been appearing intermittently, sending the car to IA this Thursday to check.

so any follow up? care to tell us what happened?

bmFIVE;402953 said:
:banghead:

My turn......the yellow steering lock symbol has been appearing intermittently, sending the car to IA this Thursday to check.

bimmerdude;404350 said:
so any follow up? care to tell us what happened?

Got the car back late Thursday afternoon after re-programming of software. The SA was very confident that the problem would not recur. So far so good.

bmFIVE;404500 said:
Got the car back late Thursday afternoon after re-programming of software. The SA was very confident that the problem would not recur. So far so good.

oh dear. i'm not so sure they did the right thing. as far as i know, this steering lock problem is a known issue on some cars and the dealer is supposed to replace the defective hardware under warranty or goodwill. its a known defect and there is a service bulletin in the US about it. i hope ur problem doesnt recur. if it does u better start banging some tables :)

Mine was reset software, problem came back after 2 weeks.... but in a lot more subtle manner, just the yellow indicator and went off. But I complain also, they replaced some hardware. Didn't get the bill though, so don't have the exactly they replace.. now after months... no more problem.

If the indicator is orange/amber/yellow, remove the FOB and try again. The indicator will go off. But once it turns red.. must remember the tactic to start the engine because the red indicator won't turn off no matter how many times you remove the FOB.

1. Depress brake.
2. Insert FOB and quickly..
3. Hit "START" without delay.

If u forget this, there's no way u can start the engine with the steering lock indicator in red.

And the re-programming step is the standard trouble shooting protocol which they cannot bypass. If that fail to solve the problem after re=programming, then only hardware replacement under warranty is allowed by BMW Malaysia, for those warrantied cars.

grrr....the stupid yellow steering lock sign appeared this afternoon. i was stunned, what the f**k, there goes my Programming Update charges paid couple months ago....for nothing! i paid that charges since my car is outside the warranty period.

after removing the key fob 2 times...the warning sign disappeared.

called up AB and they advise me to do 'another' programming/software update...i was thinking they are goin to rip me off another charges for such stupid software updating...just change the steering column for god sake!

can this problem be truely rectified via software updating? unless they are giving me free updating this time round!

Based on my experience it can't. They make it less sensitive via programming but it gets worse anyway and the lock mechanism will still fault. Can ask for goodwill warranty on your steering column change.

Top Bottom