Steering Lock - E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Ok! Guys! Here's a comprehensive "checklist" for all u E90 folks out there!

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showpost.php?p=353742&postcount=86
lygan;353742 said:
I am also from JB and own a E90 320SE on sept 06. Seriously, this car has been giving me lots of problem.

1)In the beginning, i have unpleasant noise on my windows and i found that it was the rain channel that was rubbing against the door rubber, so they
replace the rain channel and the problem solved. (Black E90 was here :wink:)

2) Central locking module malfunction and they replace the control module for central locking and problem solved (SouthIsland was here :wink:)

3) there was a steering column lock sign that came on and i explained to the JB technician and nobody at JB AB knows what i am talking about until i got fed up. Only after a few visit to JB AB and explaining to them about the faulty sign and they got the the steering column lock replace and problem solved. (many of us were here :wink:)

4)Fuel cap cable snap and they replace and problem solved

5) Power steering fail at mileage 40000km and the replace power steering pump and problem solved

6) engine fan went into second stage speed and it was due to radiator faulty and they replace it and problem solved.

7)Driver side inner door handle leather peel off and got it replace also.

8)Engine oil sensor faulty and always give the +1 ltr sign and i always top up and later realise that it is not the engine that is consuming the oil and it is the engine sensor that give the wrong information. Change the engine oil sensor and problem solved. (BlackE90, pls take note!)

Technicians at JB AB do not receive the latest information from KL service centre regarding some common faults and they always do not know how to solve the problem and instead i am also the one who ask them is it this or that problem could have caused whatever problem.

I am very disappointed with their current model E90 and i don think it has anything to do with CKD or CBU models. Cos there are lots of parts that is faulty in my car and that doesn't concern whether it is CBU or CKD.

How can a power steering pump fail at 40000km. Even a proton saga steering pump don't fail at such low mileage

Spaceman;407579 said:
grrr....the stupid yellow steering lock sign appeared this afternoon. i was stunned, what the f**k, there goes my Programming Update charges paid couple months ago....for nothing! i paid that charges since my car is outside the warranty period.

after removing the key fob 2 times...the warning sign disappeared.

called up AB and they advise me to do 'another' programming/software update...i was thinking they are goin to rip me off another charges for such stupid software updating...just change the steering column for god sake!

can this problem be truely rectified via software updating? unless they are giving me free updating this time round!

u should print out this forum topic regarding this common issue of steering column and show to the service guy. make sure they replace the hardware. not software. in the US, this is a known hardware problem.

My car has passed the warranty period.Any info how much will be the cost if worst case need to replace the steering column?

FIRZ67;410657 said:
My car has passed the warranty period.Any info how much will be the cost if worst case need to replace the steering column?

I forgot to take down the details of the fix but was asked to sign a paper which Ingress need to claim BMW Malaysia.. :p

.. and its not the column... its the steering lock on the steering column, if not mistaken.. rolleyes: u can call the SC to check with them on the price to replace it.

Reprogramming can temporary fix the fault which some, problem does not return.

You can continue to use the car though, if you don't mind the big logo on the OBC, just remember the "force start" trick.. :wink: .. some tricks all E90 owners MUST know.

Good luck!

Steering column cost around RM13xx.

there seem to be lots of part no. on realoem.com catalogue , but not sure which is the corrected 'non-fault' version?

EDIT: ITS RM2500.

Spaceman;410669 said:
Steering column cost around RM13xx.

there seem to be lots of part no. on realoem.com catalogue , but not sure which is the corrected 'non-fault' version?

Can let you know by next week. I am getting my steering column replaced now as well. Luckily I am just inside my warranty period. I had the software upgrade previously, but still noticed a yellow steering lock warning a couple of times. IA checked for me today, and found that part is actually faulty - don't know why this couldn't have been picked up when they did all the checking a few months ago when the problem was first reported.

Parts are on order now, so will let you once I get the documentation

CK

Cobra, u won't get anything documentation except a "check out pass" after the service. They will ask you to sign the job sheet after the repair but none of the copies are meant for u, its meant for claiming against BMW Malaysia.

Got my steering column replaced today. Bad news is BMW Malsysia only approved to bear 30% on the cost of the part and i have to bear 70% + 100% labour!

WTF...!!!

The SA told me this is what the BMW M'sia have approved. And i of course HAVE to agree to proceed with the replacement since you cannot do w/o a healthy steering column. Then, after they have put my car in queue, i called up BMW M'sia and talk to person in charge of aftersales on what ground they (BMW M'sia) asked me to bear 70% + 100% labour.

After telling him the defective steering column is infact a design flaw back in Germany AG during the early batches of E90s....which is a worldwide thingy.
Simply b'cos my mileage is too low and i seldom use my car in 3 yrs of ownership, the problem first occurred in Nov 2008 at around 12k km. Many of the E90s have clocked similar mileage when they had this problem, maybe a coincidence!

Anyway, i told them you cannot penalise me for not driving my car hard enough during the warranty period of 2 yrs to discover the problem earlier which could have saved me from forking out a single cent.

BMW M'sia replied half an hour later which revealed that they are only willing to increase up to 50% of the part cost from 30% previously and labour is up to the dealer to decide. And they said its all he could do and its FINAL!!!

What to do! It looks to me they 'agreed' that the part is infact defective from the plant and just waiting for it to happen. Otherwise, how would they entertain such a claim?
I asked them if you would kindly remove the sensor from the steering colomn, there's nothing wrong with the so called 'defective part' and i believe it will function as it is just like any other Proton!

The decision made is not making me happy as a BMW owner from now! What is a steering column to a big car maker like BMW?

To add that, the steering column is not RM13xx. Its RM2500. Labour is RM512. Damn it!

End of the day, i still need to fork out RM17xx after the labour rebate by AB to RM486.

Where's Cobra? Did he see the bill? Was it RM2,500?

But whatever it is.. I'm using mine every day just to make sure it clocks 60k km on the 24 months.. now only 21k km.. after 16 months.. :( I think I can't make it.. and there's still a long watch list..

Spaceman,

3k including labour is major to me.Anyway did they change the whole steering colum or just the locking mechanism?

Yea, now I know why my sales lady advised me to drive the car a lot when I took delivery of the car. Spaceman is right, the original steering column in early batch E90's is known to have issues and has been revised with a new part no. However, based on forummer feedback, later batches of E90's are not spared from this problem as well.

I have a feeling it's gonna be a consumable part i.e. after a few years we'll have to replace steering columns.

E46Fanatic;415374 said:
Yea, now I know why my sales lady advised me to drive the car a lot when I took delivery of the car. Spaceman is right, the original steering column in early batch E90's is known to have issues and has been revised with a new part no. However, based on forummer feedback, later batches of E90's are not spared from this problem as well.

I have a feeling it's gonna be a consumable part i.e. after a few years we'll have to replace steering columns.

first occurence is 12k km, then 2nd would be 24k km?

i think its highly my next car wont be a BMW...f**k the "ultimate driving feeling"!:rolleyes:

Spaceman;415407 said:
first occurence is 12k km, then 2nd would be 24k km?

i think its highly my next car wont be a BMW...f**k the "ultimate driving feeling"!:rolleyes:

Its a love hate relationship bro. This issue is much smaller to say big things like engine swaps due to oil burn or oil sludge. Somehow we keep going back to the same *&^% like flies in our next car purchase.

E46Fanatic;415410 said:
Its a love hate relationship bro. This issue is much smaller to say big things like engine swaps due to oil burn or oil sludge. Somehow we keep going back to the same *&^% like flies in our next car purchase.

oh yeah, saw an M3 and M6 in the showroom yesterday.:love: Oh my god! M3 is a DCT 7 speeder. The color is Dark Blue-like but already has some swirls under the spotlight.:eek:

Spaceman;415414 said:
oh yeah, saw an M3 and M6 in the showroom yesterday.:love: Oh my god! M3 is a DCT 7 speeder. The color is Dark Blue-like but already has some swirls under the spotlight.:eek:

One of our E90 forummers went and test drove the dark blue E92 M3 6 spd manual (BMW Malaysia car) last weekend and is looking to get it if the price is right. We keep going back to the same marque.. hmm.

E46Fanatic;415419 said:
One of our E90 forummers went and test drove the dark blue E92 M3 6 spd manual (BMW Malaysia car) last weekend and is looking to get it if the price is right. We keep going back to the same marque.. hmm.

How much its going for the unit?

Can we do a quick compilation of how many BMWCM member here who suffered the steering problems:-

1. Spaceman 2006 325i KU97119 12,500km

Spaceman;415421 said:
How much its going for the unit?

Hehe, it was bait which I somehow knew you would take..Proves our love hate relationship with the brand. Last I heard the car has 17k kms, and it was offered for ~Rm470k. Don't know how much further the nego has progressed since :wink:

Can we do a quick compilation of how many BMWCM member here who suffered the steering problems:-

1. Spaceman 2006 325i KU97119 12,500km
2. E46fanatic 2005/2007 325i ~13k kms (gotta chk records)

Top Bottom