Steering Lock - E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
E46Fanatic;415423 said:
Hehe, it was bait which I somehow knew you would take..Proves our love hate relationship with the brand. Last I heard the car has 17k kms, and it was offered for ~Rm470k. Don't know how much further the nego has progressed since :wink:

oh damn! 470k is a good price already!:top:

Spaceman;415433 said:
oh damn! 470k is a good price already!:top:

Ya its within striking distance for some of us to upgrade to the legendary M3, esp you... *upgrade* *upgrade* *upgrade* :wink:

E46Fanatic;415437 said:
Ya its within striking distance for some of us to upgrade to the legendary M3, esp you... *upgrade* *upgrade* *upgrade* :wink:

no la...u r too modest, its for U :love:

Maybe next M3 when i saved up enuff! kekekeke....

Those who suffered steering lock problem:

1. Spaceman 2006 325i KU97119 12,500km
2. E46fanatic 2005/2007 325i ~13k kms (gotta chk records)
3. astroboy 2007 320i

3. astroboy 2007 320i

hi guys..

can i check my understanding here ? are u guys referring to the yellow steering icon that appears when starting the car ? i noticed in 2-3 instances already lately. there's a message on my iDrive saying that i need to move the steering a bit, take out the fob and re-insert and it works fine after that.

is this a tell-tale of failure ? if yes, i need to get it fixed before the warranty period expires ! (btw, is it right that the warranty period is only 2 yrs while the BSRI is 3 yrs?)

mnas;416038 said:
hi guys..

can i check my understanding here ? are u guys referring to the yellow steering icon that appears when starting the car ? i noticed in 2-3 instances already lately. there's a message on my iDrive saying that i need to move the steering a bit, take out the fob and re-insert and it works fine after that.

is this a tell-tale of failure ? if yes, i need to get it fixed before the warranty period expires ! (btw, is it right that the warranty period is only 2 yrs while the BSRI is 3 yrs?)

Yes, we all that encountered this problem, started to see the amber indicator in which case, removing the fob and re-insert will solve the fault but u will get the red indicator pretty soon and u can't start despite re-insert the fob. There's a trick though.. :wink:

thnks man..i guess it will happen sooner or later ..and i won't want to wait till my warranty expires in mid-June !!
also, wanted them to perhaps change the aircond expansion valve (?) (that cause hissing sound whenever aircon is on). damn irritating sound, even my cheaper Swift don't sound like that..

let's gather more ppl with steering lock malfunction problem, so that we can get BMWCM to write an official letter to BMW M'sia to take care of such problem even outside the warranty.

its not fair for ppl who has this issue when warranty expired that BMW M'sia can escape from liability. or at least ask BMW M'sia to confirm in writing if the steering column is in fact a consumable part that needed replacement after some usage.

This would enable the potential buyers to do a thorough review before they put down the deposit...
Is Merc having this kinda' stupid coloumn malfunction? I guess not.

I will support Spaceman.Even I am more worried since my E90 is imported by Naza and no way I could claim any waranty or product liability from BMW Msia.But at least by doing this we should give them a lesson that this stupid electronic locking mechanism will somehow bringing more worries to all E90 owners and future owners.Merce have this kinda keyless thingy but dunno whetehr their steering column lock is using EM or mechanical lock......but never heard any problem with Merc owners.

3. astroboy 2007 320i

Spaceman;416052 said:
let's gather more ppl with steering lock malfunction problem, so that we can get BMWCM to write an official letter to BMW M'sia to take care of such problem even outside the warranty.

its not fair for ppl who has this issue when warranty expired that BMW M'sia can escape from liability. or at least ask BMW M'sia to confirm in writing if the steering column is in fact a consumable part that needed replacement after some usage.

This would enable the potential buyers to do a thorough review before they put down the deposit...
Is Merc having this kinda' stupid coloumn malfunction? I guess not.

Got my steering column replaced today. They included in the same order as my last service, so even though my warranty has expired since then, it was still covered. I had the red error previously which was "rectified" through the software upgrade. I have had a couple of yellow warnings since the upgrade and was feeling a bit nervous about the issue, so asked for a check of the hardware before the warrranty expired. The check found that the hardware was faulty and resulted in a change of steering column and control unit. The part number for the steering column is 32306786891.

CK

Send in my car for the same problem, AB JB said they'll upgrade the software but I insisted to get it replaced. they mentioned that if it happens again after the warranty expired, it will still be rectified as i have complaint before the expiration period. (mileage so far when this problem surfaced = 26K km, 1.9 yrs)

That's what I was told.. so they took 2 days to reprogram and problem came back just passed 1 week.. amber light but can start after re-insert FOB.. I don't care and complain again. Then only they replace the part.

3. astroboy 2007 320i

astroboy;416047 said:
Yes, we all that encountered this problem, started to see the amber indicator in which case, removing the fob and re-insert will solve the fault but u will get the red indicator pretty soon and u can't start despite re-insert the fob. There's a trick though.. :wink:

bro, wats the trick up ur sleeve? :)

1. depress brake pedal before inserting the FOB
2. insert the FOB and hit "START" immediately.. before the steering lock mechanism initiate and warning light illuminated

astroboy;470443 said:
1. depress brake pedal before inserting the FOB
2. insert the FOB and hit "START" immediately.. before the steering lock mechanism initiate and warning light illuminated

bro, wouldn't the steering stay locked even though the engine can be started that way? :wink:
my steerring column have not reached such terminal stage yet, but wud definitely keep this procedure in mind, hehe. tks!

Top Bottom