Steering Lock - E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
astroboy;778831 said:
Is this what u see? It will become red after a while and u can't start the car, there's a trick though to get it started with the red warning.. all e90 owner must learn the trick.. :4:

attachment.php

A write up about the lock mechanism:
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/88/07

This is how to fix it.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483387

Good luck!

Thanks Astroboy! Yes. This is exactly the sign. The quick start trick don't work. Or the trick only work when turn red?

FIRZ67;779091 said:
My case is not that frequent. I just had it twice through the ownership of the car. I did my software update a few times due to my EGS- related to mechatronic module in the gearbox. Not to resolve the steering lock issues. My steering lock issues is not persistence and I consider it as symptomatic. But I realized that the problem never come back after the software update and could be accidentally resolve the lock issues.

Ok. Then I think your case is slightly different. Now my car have the sign show up almost everytime I start the engine. This is why I think I shouldn't wait longer. Latest software v47 don't help. But thanks for your comment.

Amber warning can start ma. Only when turn red, then only can't start the normal way.

aidilj;779128 said:
Bro AB, Bro feelgood is from Penang.. :burnout:

Aidil. Thanks for your reply ya.

Astroboy. I have the problem on Thu. Fri. Sat. Then I decide to not drive the car for 2.5 Days. Yesterday I tried again and whole day zero incident, even i purposely try 10 start in a row few round no failure. I thought problem gone. And this morning, it come cack everytime I start the car. Somehow after a 2-3 days break problem stop for one full day only. Weird.

astroboy;779154 said:
Amber warning can start ma. Only when turn red, then only can't start the normal way.

My case still amber light and car can't start. Only if I slot in and out key fob many time until one of the chance it start.

feelgood;779156 said:
My case still amber light and car can't start. Only if I slot in and out key fob many time until one of the chance it start.

Ya.. that resets it. I did that before. Mine went on for about 2 months before it turn red.

I kena last time also the amber light of steering lock light up, but same as your case. Car won't start.

astroboy;779158 said:
Ya.. that resets it. I did that before. Mine went on for about 2 months before it turn red.

So, can I say it is still safe for me to drive because even steering lock sign turn red, I can still start with the quick start method u suggest? If true, at least I'm a bit peace of mind. :eek:

Check from this short thread.... it seem like some solve the problem by replacing the magnetic key sensor, some just replace car battery. I wonder when BMW car battery have problem, a high tech sensor car like this should show "low battery" sign is the expectation, how come steering lock is the first trigger? It's misleading. Perhaps the sensor is more sensitve to the weak voltage thus become the first to be impacted. Mechanic also to me if car battery weak, all sort of sign like window etc will show up with "low voltage". Is this true?

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/foru...treering-lock-problem&highlight=steering+lock

Now I start to suspect battery again. However, the Autologic diagnotic computer show this message when the mechanic diagnose my car:

A116 Critical Status
A112 ELV fault

*ELV = Electronic Steering Lock I think.

feelgood;779273 said:
So, can I say it is still safe for me to drive because even steering lock sign turn red, I can still start with the quick start method u suggest? If true, at least I'm a bit peace of mind. :eek:

When this happened to our car, it was still under warranty and battery still brand new. We continue to use the car because it's under warranty ma, so worst case just call BMW Voice and they will arrange a flatbed for us, better still, we might get a courtesy car in exchange. That's why we continue to use. But for your out of warranty case, a bit different la.

astroboy;779352 said:
When this happened to our car, it was still under warranty and battery still brand new. We continue to use the car because it's under warranty ma, so worst case just call BMW Voice and they will arrange a flatbed for us, better still, we might get a courtesy car in exchange. That's why we continue to use. But for your out of warranty case, a bit different la.

I can still call BMW or any 3rd party mechanic even warranty is out la, the only different is my pocket will burn.:eek:

Just to share. After few mechanics with Autologic diagnosed my car and final answer is to change steering column, one mechanic in Penang, also use diagnostic Autologic and found same error code, A112 EVL failure, instead of asking me to change steering column, he spent about an hour touch up my steering lock. He claim he will try 'service' the lock sensor contact point first. Sometime this is the only small issue that interrupt the lock feedback signal. He ask me to test use first. No need to change column so fast. After 4 days of heavy usage, purposely start engine many times, no more steering lock sign. Problem solve just like that! And the repair cost is too insignificant to even mention here!

I really disappoint with how AB help us repair our car. Simply changing entire mechanism is an easy way out (and also make $$$?) but also a waste of world resources and increase consumer burden. I really dont mind paying few thousand for a new rim and tire if i damage n break the rim n tire by hitting on something hard, because that make sense. Now they are like asking me to replace new tire that come as a set with a new rim because of a normal nail punctual that they are not willing to dirty their hand to patch.

My steering lock warning came out twice with "steering sign and lock symbol" in yellow, each time could not start the engine. When towed to workshop, the can suddenly could start. Updated software at workshop, 2 weeks later, yellow sign "steering with left and right arrow" appeared intermittently, engine could not start each time. What I did was to release the manual steering adjustment knob, and shake the steering vigorously several time, reinserted key fob, after few attempts, engine restarted. The problem was that the electronic steering lock could not release when inserted key fob hence engine couldn't start.

Ingress diagnosed the car and found no error code. Both Ingress and AB advised replacing the steering column. But I'm thinking of the sensor problem should be able to solve without replacing the entire column that costs RM2700+labour RM300.

My battery made was 2007, car was 2008 model E90 320. Battery still kuat as mentioned by the mechanic, crank start engine without any sign of aging; but Ingress diagnosed the battery status "Unrepairable, 46%".

Any advise for good workshop out there in KL/Selangor area ?

Thanks

Top Bottom