Steering Lock - E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
mine is a 2007 CKD ugh! I still face the problem and I just came back from SA! keke, just sent my car in!

Here's a TSB for those with clicking sounds on the steering column...

Newer batches shouldnt be affected. Also interesting to know that there is a documented instruction for: steering angle sensor adjustment/calibration per Repair Instructions RA 61 31 996.

------
SI B32 07 06
Steering and Wheel Alignment April 2006
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Steering Column Clicking Noise

MODEL
E90 (3 Series) and E91 (3 Series Sports Wagon) produced up to 11/05

SITUATION
Customer may complain of a slight clicking noise heard, mostly at slow speed, when turning the steering wheel at about 180 degrees.

CAUSE
Steering column manufacturing tolerances stack up.

CORRECTION
In case of a customer complaint, replace the steering column only. Do not replace the steering gear and the steering spindle (lower joint assembly).

The steering column manufacturing process has been improved in 11/05.

PROCEDURE

* Replace the steering column per Repair Instructions RA 32 31 090.

* Perform steering angle sensor adjustment/calibration per Repair Instructions RA 61 31 996.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity
32 30 6 772 273
Steering Column
WARRANTY INFORMATION
For information only

I wonder if this "steering angle sensor adjustment/calibration" also relates to the alignment problems some of us are having as reported in the other thread?

bahang;233064 said:
I have this problem starting about a month ago, had it checked at AB Kuantan and they're ordering the parts. (under warranty)

bahang
did you get your steering column replaced too at AB Kuantan?

My car just came out from AB and they have changed the steering column and lock mechanism. Even the faceplate of the fob holder is a new unit and is more textured rather than smooth plastic.

The lock and unlock mechanism also sounds different. Hope its finally resolved.

Total time without a car is 3 days 2 nights although it was promised 2 days overnight. It was due to updated lock mechanism parts not available according to the SA which came in only this morning which was compatible with the latest software updates for the lock.

Also found out that AB Glenmarie is No 1 in terms of Sales for AB nationwide, and AB Segambut is No 1 in terms of After Sales svc of all AB outlets when chatting with an SA there. Consistent with what my buddy in BMW Malaysia mentioned, that for satisfaction results, some outlet in Ipoh is tops (non AB) followed by AB Segambut 2nd.

One of our member's M-Sport central lock just died on him and now when u wanted to get in, he has pull out his sword from the FOB, like the 3 musketeer.... :D Now dunno how le.. :( My guess is the ZVM module or the ZKE module kaput lio.. :(

astroboy;313094 said:
One of our member's M-Sport central lock just died on him and now when u wanted to get in, he has pull out his sword from the FOB, like the 3 musketeer.... :D Now dunno how le.. :( My guess is the ZVM module or the ZKE module kaput lio.. :(

i had this problem before but couldnt open 2 doors not all 4 of em. I got the fuse replaced and everything went back to normal...:top:

hope his problem is not major...

astroboy;313094 said:

i had this problem before but couldnt open 2 doors not all 4 of em. I got the fuse replaced and everything went back to normal...:top:

hope his problem is not major...

This steering lock plague has infected my car and today sent to Sapura Auto for check. I guess this disease is more like the rule rather than exception for e90 especially 325 .

already 3 days and my car still with Sapura Auto. From the forum very likely we all get the same steering lock fault problem

I have the same problem now.

Steering light up red and luckily still able to start (touch wood)

i found out that the steering now has more free play when i take out the key fob (which auto locks the steering)

it happened when i tried to start the car, insert fob like usual, then tried to start, bam, steering lock plays up, warning red ELV like shines and won't go away no matter how i jingle and jungle and jongle the steering and fob, unlock lock unlock also no use, sign stays on...

SA replaced control unit for my car that has to be ordered from Germany that took 2 weeks to arrive , the red warning is gone. Heard that that control unit cost about RM5000, luckily still under warranty. Better go and check.

Other causes for the red light warning is steering column ( from e90post.com).

oh damn.. so long? eh bro then what do u drive then while waiting for your replacement parts?

2 problem in 2 months.

first the un-unlocking of the central locking system (stuck inside car)

now this...

AlexNg;370308 said:
Ok man. i have to get it sorted out tomorrow. damn

I just got yesterday as well....must be something in the air at the moment triggering it :eek:

Top Bottom