Steering Lock - E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Just to report, i had this same problem about 6 months ago. Sent my car into AB to fix it under warranty. They told me it was a software problem and fixed it in 2 days.

Cobra Kai;372168 said:
Sent mine to IA, and they told me it's a software issue only...

The official TSB from BMW states that they will attempt a firmware upgrade to resolve this as the first step. Only when it doesn't work, will they then change out the steering column. For me the firmware update didn't solve it. It just reduced the sensitivity of the lock mechanism, but it still got stuck (less frequent). The steering column replacement solved it tho.

E46Fanatic;372326 said:
The official TSB from BMW states that they will attempt a firmware upgrade to resolve this as the first step. Only when it doesn't work, will they then change out the steering column. For me the firmware update didn't solve it. It just reduced the sensitivity of the lock mechanism, but it still got stuck (less frequent). The steering column replacement solved it tho.

Same here for me. Only after changing column, then problem solved.

Now there seems to be a new problem, Active Steering reader (or something like that) failure, cause my DTC, Active Steering and Brakes error to light up. Needed to change the reader which includes the turn signal and wiper columns. :stupid:.

So watch for this guys/gals!

danc;372345 said:

Now there seems to be a new problem, Active Steering reader (or something like that) failure, cause my DTC, Active Steering and Brakes error to light up. Needed to change the reader which includes the turn signal and wiper columns. :stupid:.

Did they cover this under warranty? If not how much $$ was the damage?

danc;372345 said:

shud be the steering angle sensor fault...same like those issue with e60...mine was replaced at 1000km...it seems to be a common issue with the sensor...

i got this Yellow sign Steering Lock 'O!' came on 2 times at 2 startups this morning, 2nd times went off itself seconds later. Called up AB and sending in my car tomorrow morning to get software update first. Damn! car only clocked 12K km...

*sob*sob*

Its my turn now... :(

This morning 10am, try to start the car, saw a steering lock sign.. engine start button no response. Unplug the FOB, plug in again, then saw exclamation mark, engine start button no response.. :( unplug FOB, plug in again, start like normal.. live to enjoy another day of bimmering around..

2007 E90 320i.. mileage 17k km..

Update 1:
Spoke to AB Sg Besi, ask me to leave the car with them for 1 day for re-programing. They say all their 2008 courtesy car were sold, need to wait for the 2009 batch.. :eek:

Spoke to Ingress, ask me to use the car for few more days and see if the problem recur.. :eek:

Update 2:
steeringfault.jpg

Problem finally solved..

Another sad day for my E90... my steering lock warning lit again today.. :(

.. speechless.. disappointed.. frustrated.. confused.. heart break..

.. most reliable car eh?!

astroboy so how?? Any update?? I have another nightmare just now..... Central Locking failure. Can't open the door with the remote. Have to use the tiny key to open it. Worst is that, i can't open the door form inside also. @#$$%8.!! Luckily power window still working....have to use the key to open from outside. Passenger have to climb out from driver side ......Damn malu....BMW!!! LOL

this central locking/steering lock failure is a common issue. dont understand why they dont replace component straightaway. why must wait until happens again?

astroboy;383589 said:
Another sad day for my E90... my steering lock warning lit again today.. :(

.. speechless.. disappointed.. frustrated.. confused.. heart break..

.. most reliable car eh?!

mummygohan;383810 said:
astroboy so how?? Any update?? I have another nightmare just now..... Central Locking failure. Can't open the door with the remote. Have to use the tiny key to open it. Worst is that, i can't open the door form inside also. @#$$%8.!! Luckily power window still working....have to use the key to open from outside. Passenger have to climb out from driver side ......Damn malu....BMW!!! LOL

Aiyoh, both of you are running low on your luck....
Sad to hear that......

Hope you guys shall get the problems resolved soon.

Ingress has ordered a part for me.. I think its one of the steering lock component.. no stock yet. They will contact me once part arrive and was told its a few hours job. No need to leave car overnight.

Door lock issue eh?! Same as Steven Southisland's case. Your fuel cap also wont open if that door lock circuit board fail. You do know where the fuel cap emergency release cable is do u? U need to open your boot and open the battery compartment cover to locate the cable.

Sad day for we all.. hope 2009 will be a better year for our E90s.. :(

Hmmn... everyone of us E90 gang has their own E90 failure during warranty period eh?! What an interesting phenomena.. NO ONE IS SPARED!

astro bro, I feel for you and mummygohan, but it's not necessarily true that every E90 owner has had a failure. I've gone 1 1/2 years without a single fault, touch wood. In fact my W211 has had more problems in 3 years - handbrake stuck, brake system recall, ECU kaput, petrol system leakage alert. So at this point in time, I do feel that BMW is more reliable. :top:

wow! That's good to hear.. for a change.. or maybe those problem-free E90s have nothing to complain, that's why we only hear from those who encounter problem.

Exactly so, astro. Anyway, yours is not a terminal problem. Just a hardware or software component replacement. Just change it and it becomes a memory. My Merc's ECU failed while parked in KLIA, and I had to drive home at a governed 40 kmh speed, which took more than 2 hours. Flatbedded it to C&C the next day, changed the ECU under warranty, and it was good as new. No big deal.

All cars suffer from component failures, European cars more than Japanese cars. But then European cars are less boring, no? ;)

Exactly true.. I have expected all this actually but didn't expect it to be that soon..

A beautiful wife does require more attention but its definitely less boring.. :D

In fact look at it this way... its better for the component to fail within the warranty period than otherwise.. :D

astroboy;383974 said:
A beautiful wife does require more attention but its definitely less boring.. :D
In fact look at it this way... its better for the component to fail within the warranty period than otherwise.. :D

That's the ticket! You're a wise man indeed. Hehehe :wink:

Top Bottom