Steering Lock - E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Danc, which AB branch did you go to for the repair btw? Whats interesting about the TSB referenced by KL2DC is that it could be due to Low Voltage fault. Could it be related to our batteries gonna KO soon? I spoke to Ken and he got it once as well a couple of months back. His battery just died and was replaced under warranty a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe our batteries are also about to give up?

E46Fanatic;297907 said:
Danc, which AB branch did you go to for the repair btw? Whats interesting about the TSB referenced by KL2DC is that it could be due to Low Voltage fault. Could it be related to our batteries gonna KO soon? I spoke to Ken and he got it once as well a couple of months back. His battery just died and was replaced under warranty a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe our batteries are also about to give up?

But what mileage you have on your car ? Battery cannot be out so soon right ? Mine is 35k km mileage now (I think my battery is still ok with 35k km mileage) and I think Ken's one is quite same mileage like mine but he has changed his battery recently. But I have no such problem yet. Hmm.... very curious...

Well common denominator is Danc's, mine and Ken's are all 05 cars (CBU batches). Yours is an 06. Maybe it goes by age instead of mileage as on drive, most of the power is taken from the alternator. My mileage is 12+k kms only. Then again I am just shooting in the dark and guessing.. heh

It's a likely cause E46F. Weak batteries cause most of the electronic problems and that's why Mercs have a backup battery system.

The batteries on CBU cars always give way earlier because during the shipment process, the cars are hibernating, sometimes for a long time. That shortens the life of the battery. Expect only a few month's life in a CBU car battery.

Just to share, I also had the steering lock symbol appear several months ago. So far twice - once when I was driving, the other time when dad was driving.

Coincidentally, after I had the software update done in Nov/Dec 07, the problem has not resurfaced *touch wood*:63:

For statistic purposes, mine is 2007 E90 320i, CKD, mileage 3500km, sales adviser say my humongous 90A battery can last 5 years and it cost more than a grand for a new replacement. A peculiar battery size that I have never seen before... it better last.. oh! yes! never see the steering lock symbol before.. and certainly not welcomed!! stay away from my E90.. :(

A grand is not so bad, astroboy! The two batteries in a Merc W211 cost about 2 grand to replace :D But they do last! My W211's were 3 years old and were still strong but C&C replaced them FOC just before the warranty expired without my asking them to. They told me that's standard preventive maintenance as the electronics will give big problems if the batteries are not tip-top.

Took my car to AB to get the fault checked out and to schedule for the warranty claim. Based on the error logs, it only happened once so far, so they cleared it and sent me off on my way.

The SA told me that if it happens again, just bring the car back for the part replacement. Its quite common. Also the paint is peeling on the rear passenger front face plate air cond console. Getting that claimed under warranty as well in 1 go.

The error fault came back over the weekend, and so its more serious that I thought as its the 2nd time in less than a week. Unlikely to be a one off thing, as through the 10 months or so ownership I've never experienced this error. So I sent the car back to AB during lunch, and on the spot they offered the software upgrade as per TSB, and also checked for steering column availability. Based on the TSB, they are trying to see if the SW updates resolves this first before changing out my steering column and replacing the lock mechanism.

The resolution follows these steps:

1) SW update
2) Replace steering lock mechanism
3) Replace entire steering column.

(3) is a major job and I'll have to leave the car there a few days, and somehow if its not broken I rather them not dismantle the steering column and replace a new one. I'll see if the problem comes back after the update.

They also replaced the rear air cond metal frame (beige) for my car as the paint was peeling and its a known issue on early batches of E90's. Looks nice and new now heh.

One more thing, with the software update, I didnt get the 07/08 goodies like the angle eyes lighting up (when lights in A mode) on unlock of the car. Hmm.. Might only be equipped with cars with Auto High Beams (ie a Gun looking light sensor underneath the normal rain sensor on newer batches of cars).

E46Fanatic;299799 said:
The error fault came back over the weekend, and so its more serious that I thought as its the 2nd time in less than a week. Unlikely to be a one off thing, as through the 10 months or so ownership I've never experienced this error. So I sent the car back to AB during lunch, and on the spot they offered the software upgrade as per TSB, and also checked for steering column availability. Based on the TSB, they are trying to see if the SW updates resolves this first before changing out my steering column and replacing the lock mechanism.

The resolution follows these steps:

1) SW update

(3) is a major job and I'll have to leave the car there a few days, and somehow if its not broken I rather them not dismantle the steering column and replace a new one. I'll see if the problem comes back after the update.

They also replaced the rear air cond metal frame (beige) for my car as the paint was peeling and its a known issue on early batches of E90's. Looks nice and new now heh.

One more thing, with the software update, I didnt get the 07/08 goodies like the angle eyes lighting up (when lights in A mode) on unlock of the car. Hmm.. Might only be equipped with cars with Auto High Beams (ie a Gun looking light sensor underneath the normal rain sensor on newer batches of cars).

Cool. Was this AB Segambut you went to? I have been waiting more than 3 weeks for my replacement air-cond vents which I'm also claiming under warranty!

E46Fanatic;299799 said:

Yeah, this was noticed in astroboy's car the other day at Bell & Ross outing we had. It's cool. I wonder if we can have ours like that after the software upgrade or it need to have Auto High Beams assist feature in it first ???

steering lock

*sigh* now it's my turn to have this problem!

I have the Red Colour steering lock indicator, stop driving my car straight away and now waiting for tomorrow morning and will call up AB to get it fix. *sigh*

Can I correctly assume this problem so far only occur in E90 325i model? so the 320i without active steering is spared.. :(

Incorrect AB... unfortunately...

stevtan's ride is a 320i, so is mine. Refer to my post on page 3 of this thread regarding my encounter with this issue.

aiyooo...... lemon steering... stay away from me.. !!! :68:

So let me clarify about the problem:

Symptom/situation: when insert key, steering lock sign appear, sometime yellow, sometime red.. and when it happens, car cannot start!

The ELV (Electronic Steering Lock) check control warning illuminates in the instrument cluster and in some cases, engine start is inhibited. Diagnostics reveals fault code A0AA in the CAS (Car Access System) and prompts a control unit replacement.

If car cannot start, remove the key, lock and unlock car again and danc's method is remove the key, turn the steering until it locks, then insert key to try starting her up again.

Cause: Low voltages in the vehicle electrical system when cranking/starting the engine.

Resolutions:
1) SW update

Now am very worry... :(

Yours is a newer batch car, which may have the necessary SW updates and updated steering column to avoid this symptom. Also if it happens, as long as its under warranty, no need to worry la. Best if it happens within the warranty period instead of outside it hehe. Steering columns are not cheap LOL.

David Yong;300254 said:
Mine CKD 2006 and keeping my finger crossed that it won't happen to mine.

Keeping my finger cross for u... because if your's kena, my 2007 CKD E90 will be next.. :(

Top Bottom