SMG Share thread

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
what battery you guys used on your smg? im using 100din and was recommended by workshop. any of you using smaller battery and don't give yoi problems especially on smg?

jc@;851324 said:
its the clutch actuator. happen on mine 2 years back. faster go and change before you need to change the clutch pump as well like I did.

how much is the clutch actuator?

- - - Updated - - -

jc@;851324 said:
its the clutch actuator. happen on mine 2 years back. faster go and change before you need to change the clutch pump as well like I did.

how much is the clutch actuator?

Around 4k. Check with the AB too. Cause I believe I was chopped.

If all 3 does not work then change to manual laaa...hahahahaha. my last resort. Actually was saying so a few time already. I love ssg on when evey
thing is in place.

jc - I will check what battery im running... never even bother about those before.

- - - Updated - - -

If all 3 does not work then change to manual laaa...hahahahaha. my last resort. Actually was saying so a few time already. I love ssg on when evey
thing is in place.

jc - I will check what battery im running... never even bother about those before.

silent...mean no good..haha...clutch is still dumping after 30-40 minutes in heavy traffic - getting hot, replaced the actuator piston seal 8 months ago, still good, no leak..now i am wondering what is so wronggggg.......its dumping clutch from day 1 i got the seal replaced (thought it the solution for clutch dumping) when it gets hot! for now, im driving it as it is, was in penang 3 weeks ago and stuck in jamm at penang bridge toll, i have to stop (mean engine off) at the roadside for half an hour to let it cool down because too afraid that i might bang the car in front...the worse is, it start release clutch at 1500rpm....and the engine stall.

grrrr.....thats......all!

Nice to note lots of user experience that has been shared. Looks like maintaining the SMG is gonna eat you dry.
What would be the recommendation of all the Sifu's, Would you recommend new comers ? Go for the SMG or opt for the Standard GearBox

if you have the money to spent, go for smg. else stay out of it. the actuator will probably last to max 2 years i would say and it cost 4k for replacing a new 1.

redhybrid: get someone to check on your solenoid. I got some advice from some workshop, they say try open all the solenoid and clean it properly then reinstall back. It will probably helps. I didnt get the chance to try it. So far u are the 3rd car having the same problem. myself, bimmer and you for now.

I owned 325ci smg transmission...please help me about this...

Im using manual mode when drive, then in gear 4...I try to tap the knob gear to switch it to gear 5...but my transmission seems like having some problem...it cant go into 5th gear...drop back to 4th gear...why?
Please help...urgent to know this problem...

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk

Hello boys and girls.

Hope all is well, I have been lurking around for a couple of weeks now, doing research on the 325i e46 SMG. I have my sights on a 2002 model. A friend of mine is asking me to take over his ride as he has booked a F30, 328i.

So far from what I know, he has changed the clutch and acuators a couple of years ago and the car has got a proper service history. It has 180k on the clock, accident free and has Blistien absorbers.

Right now the car does not handle as sharply as it is supposed to in the corners, my friends mechanic has ruled out absorbers and thinks its the front control arm bushings. Replaced new tires too.. any thoughts, comments or symptoms to look out for before I take full ownership of the car? My friend has offered to fix up all teething issues before handing it over.

Would be great to 'take advantage' of this ownership transitional period. Costs of items will be borne either by him or me.. can bisik bisik.. so would be great to have some input from the sifus here. Thanks!!

nicholascln said:
Hello boys and girls.
Hope all is well, I have been lurking around for a couple of weeks now, doing research on the 325i e46 SMG. I have my sights on a 2002 model. A friend of mine is asking me to take over his ride as he has booked a F30, 328i.
So far from what I know, he has changed the clutch and acuators a couple of years ago and the car has got a proper service history. It has 180k on the clock, accident free and has Blistien absorbers.
Right now the car does not handle as sharply as it is supposed to in the corners, my friends mechanic has ruled out absorbers and thinks its the front control arm bushings. Replaced new tires too.. any thoughts, comments or symptoms to look out for before I take full ownership of the car? My friend has offered to fix up all teething issues before handing it over.
Would be great to 'take advantage' of this ownership transitional period. Costs of items will be borne either by him or me.. can bisik bisik.. so would be great to have some input from the sifus here. Thanks!!
Hi Nicholas, honestly everything you need to know about smg is in this thread, common issues to be precise.

Enjoy.

Hey guys, this may sounds odd but I'm looking for a E46, currently deciding whether to get the SMG or the Automatic. Does servicing or maintaining the SMG gets harder as it age? Lesser shop that can service SMG effectively? Or is it the other way around? I love SMG but reading the whole thread got me very worried lol

redhybrid said:
silent...mean no good..haha...clutch is still dumping after 30-40 minutes in heavy traffic - getting hot, replaced the actuator piston seal 8 months ago, still good, no leak..now i am wondering what is so wronggggg.......its dumping clutch from day 1 i got the seal replaced (thought it the solution for clutch dumping) when it gets hot! for now, im driving it as it is, was in penang 3 weeks ago and stuck in jamm at penang bridge toll, i have to stop (mean engine off) at the roadside for half an hour to let it cool down because too afraid that i might bang the car in front...the worse is, it start release clutch at 1500rpm....and the engine stall.

grrrr.....thats......all!
You might need new actuator like clavenk say. i have change 2 actuators and numerous of seal change. and trust me, seal change is a waste of time and money.
experience of myself for owning the car for 8 yrs

anz said:
I owned 325ci smg transmission...please help me about this...

Im using manual mode when drive, then in gear 4...I try to tap the knob gear to switch it to gear 5...but my transmission seems like having some problem...it cant go into 5th gear...drop back to 4th gear...why?
Please help...urgent to know this problem...

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk
position sensors perhaps

awyongcarl said:
Hey guys, this may sounds odd but I'm looking for a E46, currently deciding whether to get the SMG or the Automatic. Does servicing or maintaining the SMG gets harder as it age? Lesser shop that can service SMG effectively? Or is it the other way around? I love SMG but reading the whole thread got me very worried lol
there isn't much help with "servicing" on the parts. you need to replace it. not much shop know how to.

Good morning guys, I owned a 2002 E46 325i SMG M Sports, recently my speedometer is not working. I would like to ask if i can retrofit a M3 SMG speedometer into mine and if that will work. Anybody have tried it or know it will work please do let me know. On the other hand, I'm looking for the SMG speedometer if not a M3 SMG speedometer if it works. Thanks

Top Bottom