Power kit and 6 potter on the 320d

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
supergripen;707285 said:
Guys with Vector or DTUK,did u guys install any supporting mods to handle the extra power/torque and extra heat generated by the tuning? Engine cooling mods/gearbox mods?

hi supergripen,

i know you are concern about other parts if they can handle the extra hp or not. let me put it this way, Vector is installed in various type of vehicals over here including all the 4X4 pickup trucks, diesel SUVs like Captiva, Sorento, Rexton, Santa Fe and even passenger cars like Focus & BMW. if i would sum up all the milleage done by all those Malaysian cars alone with Vector for the last 3 years, it would be easily over 25,000,000 km. with that track records, non of them have a problem related to increase of 20-30% of power.

i guess it is the same for European countries where tuning box is very common especially for new cars under warranty as it is totally undetectable and no trace of it after removing it.

if all those cars can take the extra hp without problem, i think your BMW will be able to handle it too. i believe every car manufacturers will put in safety factors to handle 20-30% more power with stock components.

supergripen;707286 said:
Mind sharing more on the X1's tuning?

I think it will be very difficult to share how is the feeling. the best would be you try it out yourself and make your judgement. however, there is one side effect after installing Vector. the driver will feel something 'wrong' if Vector is removed for some reason and the "JOY IS BMW" is lacking :)

docrayboy;707118 said:
The Vector is awesome! Just got it yesterday. Its now not the power, but the control of the car, the tyres and how they grip the road that I worry about. Not once I had to push the accelerator to the floor till the 'click' button clicks. Can race any GTI, 335i-bring them on!

Now u dah boleh kejar itu GTI lol.....heheheh...but please save your tyre since mine already changed the tyre once 3 month after installed the vector...kehkeh...but...JOY is more important bro...

tazztham;707563 said:
hi supergripen,

i know you are concern about other parts if they can handle the extra hp or not. let me put it this way, Vector is installed in various type of vehicals over here including all the 4X4 pickup trucks, diesel SUVs like Captiva, Sorento, Rexton, Santa Fe and even passenger cars like Focus & BMW. if i would sum up all the milleage done by all those Malaysian cars alone with Vector for the last 3 years, it would be easily over 25,000,000 km. with that track records, non of them have a problem related to increase of 20-30% of power.

i guess it is the same for European countries where tuning box is very common especially for new cars under warranty as it is totally undetectable and no trace of it after removing it.

if all those cars can take the extra hp without problem, i think your BMW will be able to handle it too. i believe every car manufacturers will put in safety factors to handle 20-30% more power with stock components.

Maybe u didn't notice in my posts that I don't really have a diesel right now..still with my 335i.

I am however looking at the X1 20d as a 2nd car for the wifey,thus the questions on tuning.

Anyways thanx for the input.. I'm well aware of the buffer that manufacturers put in their products,and I'm pretty much in the know regarding the intricacies of tuning a turbo.I've had a few highly tuned turbo cars and have had experience with bolt-on superchargers as well.
My questions were more gunned towards the modern hightech BMW diesels..which I have no experience with.

docrayboy;707118 said:
The Vector is awesome! Just got it yesterday. Its now not the power, but the control of the car, the tyres and how they grip the road that I worry about. Not once I had to push the accelerator to the floor till the 'click' button clicks. Can race any GTI, 335i-bring them on!

With all due respect doc, u r kidding right, even d 335d isnt a match 4 d petrol variant. I personally like d 320d a lot, but lets b realistic.

aiyo I am stuck lah after reading all this post 320d vs 335i...was planning to get a sedan 335i, but for that price u can get a brand new 320d..now started reading the 320d (assuming after powerkit + vector) can match the 335i..even more pening..help please..

320d (where the mind speaks) :

1) High torque and reasonably sufficient hp
2) Low FC
3) Cheaper roadtax & insurance
4) Brand new car with BSRI
5) Should I wait after the new F30 being launched? When do u guys think is the best time to get the 320d?

335i (where the heart speaks):

1) High torque and HP, a lot of room for mods (saw a video 335i can play with GTR35)
2) Higher FC
3) Much higher roadtax & insurance
4) Been a dream car for so long..

sorry for OT..may need to open a new thread later..

Guess what guys? After upgrading the kit in ingress the car was worse off. Doesn't fly even when you floor it. Brought to ingress took all Day to check. According to SA the ECU is not responding the way it was supposed to. So they ordered another one. I mean..don't they check de car before they pass it back to me? Sigh...

mookie;708346 said:
Guess what guys? After upgrading the kit in ingress the car was worse off. Doesn't fly even when you floor it. Brought to ingress took all Day to check. According to SA the ECU is not responding the way it was supposed to. So they ordered another one. I mean..don't they check de car before they pass it back to me? Sigh...

hi mookie,

sorry to hear that. i think you are the 2nd person having the negative feedback after the upgrade. very strange. how they actually upgrage the ECU? seems like not straight forward.

supergripen;708270 said:
Maybe u didn't notice in my posts that I don't really have a diesel right now..still with my 335i.

I am however looking at the X1 20d as a 2nd car for the wifey,thus the questions on tuning.

Anyways thanx for the input.. I'm well aware of the buffer that manufacturers put in their products,and I'm pretty much in the know regarding the intricacies of tuning a turbo.I've had a few highly tuned turbo cars and have had experience with bolt-on superchargers as well.
My questions were more gunned towards the modern hightech BMW diesels..which I have no experience with.

i see. well, guess you have to make a decision then.

SilverBullet;708339 said:
aiyo I am stuck lah after reading all this post 320d vs 335i...was planning to get a sedan 335i, but for that price u can get a brand new 320d..now started reading the 320d (assuming after powerkit + vector) can match the 335i..even more pening..help please..

2) Low FC
5) Should I wait after the new F30 being launched? When do u guys think is the best time to get the 320d?

1) High torque and HP, a lot of room for mods (saw a video 335i can play with GTR35)
2) Higher FC

brother, when it comes to choosing a bimmer, choose with your heart la, especially when you say it has long been your dream car. How many opportunities in life would you have a chance to fulfill your dreams?? don't leave room for any regrets, bro.

for those of us who have made the choice to pick the oil burner, we have found the current car of our dreams. bucket seat squishing torque & frugal fuel sipping consumption all bundled into one, with BSRI taking care of all our worries in the near future.

all the best in your hunt! see you on the road.

2) Low FC

2) Higher FC

for comparison sake,320d is no match to the monstrous 335i.
but again,335i comes at a price.

for practical day to day driving machine with lots of torque,320d is a no brainer.
i'd love to have a 335i,but need a very deep pocket to run it on my driving requirements.

so,regarding when is the best time to buy i think its NOW. heheh
5Y/100000km BSRI end of life full spec thrown in (iDrive included)
peace of mind!

thanks bros for the kind feedbacks :)

true the 335i is a beast and a dream to have..but looking for a sedan version is quite difficult, apart from being higher priced..I am actually more of a torque person..highest top speed I've driven was only around 200 km/h..the torque figures for both 320d and 335i is quite similar..wonder who will win in a 200m sprint, say from a traffic light?

I guess have to test drive both cars then can make a decision..hopefully a good one..

namidub,

how much do you reckon a premium selection 320d should be priced at the moment?

SilverBullet;708526 said:
thanks bros for the kind feedbacks :)

true the 335i is a beast and a dream to have..but looking for a sedan version is quite difficult, apart from being higher priced..I am actually more of a torque person..highest top speed I've driven was only around 200 km/h..the torque figures for both 320d and 335i is quite similar..wonder who will win in a 200m sprint, say from a traffic light?

I guess have to test drive both cars then can make a decision..hopefully a good one..

namidub,

well if u are more a torque of person,we are in the same boat.only on few occasion i hit past 230kmh.normally just cruising on the hiway between 160-200kmh.
Never tried with a 335i,maybe can realize during next meet up with any members whose driving 335 e,g dzuljazz or bailey.heheh

yes,best to test drive both and follow your instinct.rather than hearing to fanboys.hehehehe

i don't know the exact price,but i will ask, i am sending my 320d for power kit installation now.

cheers.

Silverbullet, a diesel is never good at sprints due to their shorter powerband. Look at flexibility times (typically 80-120km/h) to really see the advantage of the higher torque. The tuned 320d can easily match the stock 335i for these cases but you can easily tune a 335i to a much higher level too :D

PM if you're interested, I'm letting go of my 320d possibly for the 520d :D

PM if you're interested, I'm letting go of my 320d possibly for the 520d :D

much cheaper than a Premium Selection!
save the difference and upgrade accessories...
bmw perf brakes,269m 19"rims etc etc. heheeh

2) Low FC

2) Higher FC

bro, actually the road tax is similar be it diesel or petrol :4:

between the 335i vs 320d (both new i presume).. i would go with the 335i without thinking twice.. get a few up grades and no other sedan car can catch you bro :4: the 320d is a different beast all together.. if i have a second change, i would definitely go for the 335i :4:

muhaiminrahim;708633 said:
bro, actually the road tax is similar be it diesel or petrol :4:

between the 335i vs 320d (both new i presume).. i would go with the 335i without thinking twice.. get a few up grades and no other sedan car can catch you bro :4: the 320d is a different beast all together.. if i have a second change, i would definitely go for the 335i :4:

halo kawan, 320d vs 335i road tax very much different lah. 2.0 (Rm377) vs (3.0 (RMxxxx)
anyways,this comes from somebody who crashed his 320d and got a "rental" 335i during the recent visit to the elephants and patins.hehehe

so there you go...

ops sorry forgot.. the capacity is different.. hence the difference in road tax.. my bad :4:

dun laa say the 335i i drove was a rental car.. later VP feel very sad laa.. :4: btw the akrapovic humming is still in my head even after 2 weeks! :4:

Top Bottom