How Often you top up engine oil (E60)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

louiswaw

Club Guest
Hi, This is my first time the i-drive light up "engine oil is at minimum level" after 6 mths of driving my e60. Call up mechanic and he advise me to top up 1 liter of engine oil..It has reached 7km since my last service. Do u all spare at least a liter of engine oil with you car?How often do u top up you engine oil.Thanks

mine's N52. Been 2 months. Never topped up. Checked last Sun, oil on max level

Magnesium engine bro. Every 8,000 km top up one litre. (Engineering flaw)
Somemore BMW brand cost $90+ per litre.

i'm on N52 too...06 recond 523i, the drop in oil level to the minimum only happened to me once before my first service...but since that, the engine oil remain at max level....already serviced the car 3 times average of 8K km done before car send for service...

went to workshop top up 1 liter of Mobil 1....everything back to normal...warning light disappeared. 1 liter of Mobil 1 engine oil cost me RM55.00 only

mine 530d - never top up the engine oil.

I also learned one thing about engine oil. Do not simply buy engine oil even though it is fully synthetic. BMW E60 has to use Longlife -01 or better Longlife -04. Recently I bought engine oil and only meet the LL-98 which is not good for our E60.

I think that this "Makan Minyak" issue has been discussed extensively before.. Bro Louismaw, you might want to check through the postings!
This issue affects mostly those BMWs with N52 engine (so called Magnesium engine lah..)... be it 3-Series, 5-Series or whatever Sili :D a few forumers actually wrote complains to BMW Malaysia and they got replacement engine block from respective authorised service centre.... I think fellow forumer Yellowmanta changed his engine block at about RM22k++ which was all borne by AB itself! :eek: imagine if he has to pay for the cost!
However not all owners face the same problem... like bro Affan66 and myself. Have been driving for the past 2 years without seeing those warning signs *touch wood* and I have dutifully service my E60 every 10000km.

I think that this "Makan Minyak" issue has been discussed extensively before.. Bro Louismaw, you might want to check through the postings!
This issue affects mostly those BMWs with N52 engine (so called Magnesium engine lah..)... be it 3-Series, 5-Series or whatever Sili :D a few forumers actually wrote complains to BMW Malaysia and they got replacement engine block from respective authorised service centre.... I think fellow forumer Yellowmanta changed his engine block at about RM22k++ which was all borne by AB itself! :eek: imagine if he has to pay for the cost!
However not all owners face the same problem... like bro Affan66 and myself. Have been driving for the past 2 years without seeing those warning signs *touch wood* and I have dutifully service my E60 every 10000km.

Sorry. Hijack

AB service rep said engine oil since March2010 service no need to change until March next year, i.e. 1 year later or 10k is up. German Motors said must change every 6 months. Who is right??? Pls advise.

Car is Z4 and never drive hard and always under shade at home or in office. TQ.

mine only 2 months old and di first own oil service today. Full synth... let's see how it goes the next 10k kms.

I change mine every 10K.....notice that the level will drop a little when it nears 10K. It will also depend on your driving situation.......if you are always charging down lanes and Robeking da highway, sure to makan lebih........notice that during the Cameron drive this year.........to be safe, change every 10K

never had this issue on my N52 but I heard under utilize the ride can contribute oil sludge/dissapearance. Was very famous issue before when AB recommends oil change at 25k

but a day before the warning light lite up, i travel frm Butterworth to Taiping only took me 30 min. Average speed was 160/170/180kmh. Am i driving too fast? Or most probably im heavy user of my e60. Averagely i took 3 mths to reach 10km...means i travel 120 km/day due to im in sales line. Any other alternative that to avoid top up engine oil ???
Pls advise. thx

Sounds like 10k is the target for oil change! 3 mths to reach 10k is a pretty heavy use... Am using the car almost everyday for about 30 to 40 km, so there may not be any issue with sludge... Cheers...

I change at 7-8k km.... that's about time when the I drive will ask for 1L top up....

louiswaw;578614 said:
but a day before the warning light lite up, i travel frm Butterworth to Taiping only took me 30 min. Average speed was 160/170/180kmh. Am i driving too fast? Or most probably im heavy user of my e60. Averagely i took 3 mths to reach 10km...means i travel 120 km/day due to im in sales line. Any other alternative that to avoid top up engine oil ???
Pls advise. thx

Louis, of course at that kind of speed, it is very fast la. :wink:

louiswaw;578614 said:
Pls advise. thx

hi.... i had the same problem previously where i had to top up 1 litre of engine oil at merely 3k km. I replaced the oil separator which has been clogged and full of oil sludge and its accesories (hoses etc) for RM 2k. after travelling for almost 3k km so far so good. Engine oil level still MAX. Mine is a 2005 525i magnesium engine (N52 engine)

nizar;579330 said:
hi.... i had the same problem previously where i had to top up 1 litre of engine oil at merely 3k km. I replaced the oil separator which has been clogged and full of oil sludge and its accesories (hoses etc) for RM 2k. after travelling for almost 3k km so far so good. Engine oil level still MAX. Mine is a 2005 525i magnesium engine (N52 engine)

Nizar, u top up every 3 km seems abnormal i think.
But mine is touching 8km already...Do u think i need to change the oil separator + its related hose ???
Any sifus pls give advice & comment...:burnout:

Top Bottom