Engine Consuming Engine Oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
tweiboon;711100 said:
Like this is it mean go to top overhaul ? If top overhaul dont go to BW World in Desa Tun Razak. Now the shop rename to "M Motor Garage". Their price is expensive and the job is super worst.

How can BM World/M Motor Garage job be super worst when they are doing lots of //M cars? Oh, perhaps your M52 must be more complex than an //M.

ezzo369;713259 said:
the 5w-40 is too thin bro. maybe you'd get performance but not protection at high temp. try switch to other viscosity say 10w or 15w. older engine is not recommended using the 5w unless it is a new engine or has been overhauled. any signs of smoke or oil leak at the engine?

Errr i think you've got it wrong bro a heavier weightage of oil is always on the 2nd set of numbers to highlight viscosity at higher temps. Usually the higher the weightage the better the anti-shear properties. e.g. 10w-40, 10w-60, 10w-50 and etc ...

0w,5w,10w and 15w denotes oil viscosity at cold temperature ... It does not indicate high temperature performance.

For your reading pleasure: http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/foru...e-Discounts-and-Promotions-Information-Thread!!!

u're right b33mer. in cold countries they use 5w so the engine would be easier to crank in cold freezing morning. and in our environment it is not really matters. what does matters is the 'thickness' of the oil as i assume the 5w is too thin and when it is used at older engine, it can slipped in to the cylinder causing the oil level low. as for solution, you may need to rebuild engine so the tiny clearance between the cylinder and piston is in the 'virgin' condition :) and no space for the oil to get into cylinder. only then it is suitable to use 5w

today once i switch off my engine, the yellow indicator on the engine oil light came out. top up about 1llitlre. my engine consumes about 1litre of engine oil after bout 6000 km. is this normal? i m using total fully sync.

Herbert;733113 said:
loh,

I thought you just had your engine recently overhaul ?

yup but has been consuming oil like this ever since. Need to go back and see what is the problem.

All engine consume oil but varies in the rate of consumption. This is because as the piston travels upwards, the cylinder wall is also being coated with oil at the same time. During the combustion stroke, this thin film of oil will also be burnt. Hence the loss of oil.

I remember reading a BMW article quite sometime back, that oil consumption up 600-800ml per 1000Km is ok.

I'm experiencing the same thing too :( around 1 litre per 4000km with 10W/40 semi-synthetic oil.

Oil sump gasket and oil filter do not have signs of leaking or stains. Could be the CCV (oil separator) but might get that checked out on the next oil change.

I swiped my fingers on the exhaust tip and found very black stain, not oily but black carbon stains. Could that be engine oil burn stains or something else or it's normal?

Psykit;734091 said:
I'm experiencing the same thing too :( around 1 litre per 4000km with 10W/40 semi-synthetic oil.

Oil sump gasket and oil filter do not have signs of leaking or stains. Could be the CCV (oil separator) but might get that checked out on the next oil change.

I swiped my fingers on the exhaust tip and found very black stain, not oily but black carbon stains. Could that be engine oil burn stains or something else or it's normal?

I used to have this low oil level warning every 1000km using 10/40W oil.
Now that I changed to mineral oil 20-50W, the warning sign hasn't come up yet and I have done close to 1300kms so far.
I also put in the STP additive, that thick oil conditioner. So far so good.

I saw Bomin garage is also selling Lucas oil conditioner with similar viscosity with the STP additive. Will try that on the next oil change.

Cheers

Thanks zib.

I was looking for any other fixes before I resort to a higher viscosity oil. I like the 10W/40 oil as I felt the engine is more agile. I believe fuel consumption will also be better when using a lower viscosity oil but there are also trade offs.

Have you checked your CCV (oil separator) and its pipes?

Hi guys,
well guys, me too, in my case not only my e39 drinks engine oil but also the water too, there were no apparent leakages in both situations. I had it top overhauled, and i'm relieved, no more problems of that nature anymore even after almost 2 years now. believe me bro.

mine taking 1L every 3k km, found out the tube from CCV to oil pan was block last yr, cleared it then, slight improvement on oil consumption, finally last week i changed the CCV while replacing my radiator, found out tube from CCV to IM has lots of oil, hope this solve the oil consumption problem!

Hi guys, i started using Revenol Engine Oil 10w-60 fully synthetic, so far i feel ok i change the oil at every 7k to 8k.

Optimum recon me this oil, so have been using for the past 2 yers now.

Cheers

macgy;738755 said:
mine taking 1L every 3k km, found out the tube from CCV to oil pan was block last yr, cleared it then, slight improvement on oil consumption, finally last week i changed the CCV while replacing my radiator, found out tube from CCV to IM has lots of oil, hope this solve the oil consumption problem!

Try using this Oil and feel the differences:
XADO Rally Sport. 10w-60
will not regret.

Comparing 5W-40, 10W-40, 10W-60 oil, do you feel significant differences? I know the oil weightage (during hot) is different hence should have some variation, but is it significant?

I am also facing some issue the engine where it shows the sign of consuming engine oil.
The "Check Engine Oil Lev" has shown up once last week, but strange that it didnt show up again after a week of driving without me topping up any additional engine oil.

I did check the engine oil level after the engine has turned off for about 4-5 minutes, and the oil level seems healthy, at the top end of the 2nd portion of the dip stick. Anyway, i did send my car to the workshop to have a quick inspection and the mech claim that the engine oil has slightly consumed, about 1 liter less. But since there isnt any visual leakage, the mech has advised me to top up additional 1 liter and continue to monitor. If the problem persist, he is worried that it could be some leakage internally where a top overhaul might be required.

I had done my routine service at about 5000+ km before this, and there is a leakage months ago after the service where the oil filter housing is leaking, pretty obvious where i can see the oil stain on the floor. After changing the housing, issue resolved, and i do remember that the mech didnt top up any oil after the replacement since the oil level is healthy.

A few questions in my mind:
1. Is it common for the M54 engine (i believe mine is the M54B22, since its a year 2003 520i) to consume engine oil? I would assume that the consumption is not major as of now as the diff is just 1 liter after 5000+ km inclusive of some oil leaking previously?

2. If there are no visual leaking, no overheating issue, no white smoke issue, what could be the causal to the leak? any symptom for internal leaking?

3. Should i try to use a thicker oil? or change to use semi-syn oil and stick to the 5000km service interval? Currently i am using Castrol Edge 5w-40. I think the slightly thicker full syn oil will be the Petronas Syntium 1000 (15w-50)?

Thanks and hope to hear from you all soon :)

Regards,
JS

zib;734140 said:
I used to have this low oil level warning every 1000km using 10/40W oil.
Now that I changed to mineral oil 20-50W, the warning sign hasn't come up yet and I have done close to 1300kms so far.
I also put in the STP additive, that thick oil conditioner. So far so good.

I saw Bomin garage is also selling Lucas oil conditioner with similar viscosity with the STP additive. Will try that on the next oil change.

Cheers

Just be careful with additives, if the blow by does not stop, it may plug up your cat converter eventually - very very expensive to replace

this is a recurrent problem for all our E39s.
no one is spared.
only the rate of loss is different.
i also went on Ravenol.
was recommended Voltronic but am skeptical.
costs so much more than Ravenol and other fully syn oils.
270/tin.
description : Voltronic fully syn multigrade Touring NA.
decided to try it when given a money back guarantee from the salesman.
put it in without flush or anything......
never looked back since.
surprising better low end torque and acceleration blind spot is nearly gone.
just wanna share this wonderful experience that no other oil change can give me.
not even with Ravenol.

this is a recurrent problem for all our E39s.
no one is spared.
only the rate of loss is different.
i also went on Ravenol.
was recommended Voltronic but am skeptical.
costs so much more than Ravenol and other fully syn oils.
270/tin.
description : Voltronic fully syn multigrade Touring NA.
decided to try it when given a money back guarantee from the salesman.
put it in without flush or anything......
never looked back since.
surprising better low end torque and acceleration blind spot is nearly gone.
just wanna share this wonderful experience that no other oil change can give me.
not even with Ravenol.
oh yes....
im near 2000km into it and the oil on dipstick is still yellowish.

Top Bottom