How Often are you topping up water/coolant?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
jsng;759241 said:
But if the culprit is the expansion tank, why not just change the expansion tank alone?
I dun think that will cost thousands, isn't it?

Off course during the expansion tank replacement, the mech should be able to advise on the condition of the hose and you can always make your decision after the inspection.

Please bear in mind the rubber hose, thermostat, expansion tank, radiator, radiator cap, plastic hoses are all exposes to the same hot water circulating in the cooling system. Some material are ABS, some are plastic and some are rubber. They have a certain life span. (Normally 4 to 6 years).

In accordance to BMW recommend Inspection, certain things have to be replaced regardless whether it is broken or not.

I have replaced the radiator when it leaked. then I replaced the expansion tank a few week later. After a few months, I have to replace the rubber hoses and the thermostat. Finally, I have to replace 2 ABS hoses under the air intake manifold and the radiator cap. All different material failing in the span of 6 months.

The amount of time and trips to the workshop is tiring.

Now, I hardly top-up any water even after 6 months.

The weakest link will fail first and once that's fixed, the 2nd weakest link will escalate in the order to make it to the top and fail not long after. :4:

Make sure use BMW coolant with the right dilution, some say it has special plastic conditioner additive to prolong plastic aging process.

by the way, what about the water pump? I have this warning from i-drive last time but after I stopped the car for 10-15 mins it was normal again. So far, no signal again.. Any experience in this area?

Just to share some of my experiences for the past 2 months ....

It started off with me having to top up water every 2 to 3 weeks for some times and then I have to top up on a weekly basis; matter got worst if I have to travel long distance, I have to top up immediately the next morning after I got back from meeting in Ipoh.

Did pressure test and couldn't locate the leak and finally my mec discovered a small leak at the bottom of the radiator, upon taking out the radiator, he noticed those hoses under the manifold didn't look so good and he changed it as well ........ but the problem still there and at the end, he blocked the heater hoses ....... it has been 3 weeks now and the water level is still ok.

jarance;759246 said:
Please bear in mind the rubber hose, thermostat, expansion tank, radiator, radiator cap, plastic hoses are all exposes to the same hot water circulating in the cooling system. Some material are ABS, some are plastic and some are rubber. They have a certain life span. (Normally 4 to 6 years).

In accordance to BMW recommend Inspection, certain things have to be replaced regardless whether it is broken or not.

I have replaced the radiator when it leaked. then I replaced the expansion tank a few week later. After a few months, I have to replace the rubber hoses and the thermostat. Finally, I have to replace 2 ABS hoses under the air intake manifold and the radiator cap. All different material failing in the span of 6 months.

The amount of time and trips to the workshop is tiring.

Now, I hardly top-up any water even after 6 months.

hamilton;760148 said:
Just to share some of my experiences for the past 2 months ....

It started off with me having to top up water every 2 to 3 weeks for some times and then I have to top up on a weekly basis; matter got worst if I have to travel long distance, I have to top up immediately the next morning after I got back from meeting in Ipoh.

Did pressure test and couldn't locate the leak and finally my mec discovered a small leak at the bottom of the radiator, upon taking out the radiator, he noticed those hoses under the manifold didn't look so good and he changed it as well ........ but the problem still there and at the end, he blocked the heater hoses ....... it has been 3 weeks now and the water level is still ok.

But then your a/c would be very cold and the set temp won't be accurate anymore. I guess that's the trade-off.

Blocking the heater hose is far cheaper than replacing the leaking heater core.Besides, who needs heaters in the tropics?

Cheers.

Yeah ..... my air cond is damn cold now, I didn't want to open my dashboard again to fix the heater as I just did my air cond last year.

zib;760229 said:
But then your a/c would be very cold and the set temp won't be accurate anymore. I guess that's the trade-off.

Blocking the heater hose is far cheaper than replacing the leaking heater core.Besides, who needs heaters in the tropics?

Cheers.

check ur top hose. If its hard when ur engine is cold, then pressure is building up. Do a pressure test with ur beemer doctor.

Top Bottom