Golf GTI or Swift Sport?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
loafer;334036 said:
Who still remembers the old Swift GTi? :) That is one helluva car :)

Yes, the old Swift GTi is one hell of a car... 1.3L 100hp... Can kill cars with higher cc at the Batu Tiga track..

I was driving the 1.0 Swift GL and even that is quite a car to whack at the corners.. Just not enuf power..

test drive both as well as the cooper s which was your first choice.

the cooper s is much more fun to drive compared to the gti. to me that justifies the extra cost. got the cooper s over the gti after having experienced both. the mini wins hands down through the corners, steering feedback is good and the car sticks to the road. also the mini turns heads while the gti looks very ordinary.

swift sport is slow compared to both the gti and the cooper s but i heard it is still very fun to drive.

guess it all depends on the budget but if you are paying 200k for the gti i would pay the extra for the cooper s

Mini is a head turner yes.., but for that price, it has become impractical for me to own one. Nonexistent boot space, cramped back seat. Swift Sport is small too but the price is much cheaper.

I have tested both the Golf and the Mini and I think the Golf will smoke the Mini anytime (given the same driver skills). The only advantage a Mini has is the so called 'goo-kart' handling and it is so damn cute!

After reading your all posts.. I am inclining to go for the Swift Sport, if I can get a white one that is. But I still have 2-3 months to think it over, I am waiting to clear my current car's loan.

rosdikasim;334113 said:
I have tested both the Golf and the Mini and I think the Golf will smoke the Mini anytime (given the same driver skills). The only advantage a Mini has is the so called 'goo-kart' handling and it is so damn cute!

On the track, the Golf is not as fluid... Mini still better option..
On straight road, different story lah...

The Swift sport is pretty fun on track.. u may need getting used to the relatively higher RPM at cruising speed..

That's why it depends very much what you expect your car to do.. each has their own merits..

rosdikasim;334113 said:
Mini is a head turner yes.., but for that price, it has become impractical for me to own one. Nonexistent boot space, cramped back seat. Swift Sport is small too but the price is much cheaper.

the dsg golf is faster than the manual cooper s by 0.2 seconds so it doesnt exactly 'smoke' the mini stock. however, with the APR tune its a different story.

the mini is definitely not a practical car ( the swift sport is much more practical) but its all about the experience. i heard that bolt on turbo kits for the swift sport are reliable and they are good bang for buck. (just incase 100hp is not enough.)

aiyoyoyoyoy.....

get normal swift n load in turbo at RM6k..
u will get intercooler...
turbo...
new piston...
blow off...
s/less piping...
n exhaust piping...
my frn did that ...
proven...
at 0.8bar....

happy boosting!!!!!

cheers

go for golf if budget permitted...u wont regret ....and i always smile smile when i get in to my golf...really...

opssss

its getting serious here.....

vote vote vote........

me for SWIFT! but will go for GOLF if got more cash on hand...:(

cant make up my mind...so stress!

cheers

in my opinion, golf is a nice car to drive. its practical and its fast. easy to handle too.
i highly recommend the gti.

I like the GTI very much after the test drive i have sleepless nights now the only thing stoping me signing the paper is the reliability of the car.

i've been driving the car for 16 months and the experience has been very good.
never had any breakdown at all

I heard that there is squeks here and there and also an incident when the cooling fan just stop working at the highway and its a new car just out from the showroom. But I still love the car and might sign the papers soon.:top:

rosdikasim;333462 said:
Actually.. I love Mini Cooper S, but the price turned me off.

So lets say you have 100K in cash to burn, which would you choose? Should I get the Swift Sport, or pay 50% down payment for the Golf GTI?

I am thinking getting either a white Swift or a white Golf... I love white. :cool:

This cant be a serious question.... its gotta be the Golf and it absolutely rocks in white!!

the car has superb handling ability and it drives like a go kart. try changing the downpipe + full ABT/Milltek turboback exhaust + cold air intake + FSE steel dump valve + stage 2 chip.it transforms into a toally different animal.

kl_mafia;335091 said:
the car has superb handling ability and it drives like a go kart. try changing the downpipe + full ABT/Milltek turboback exhaust + cold air intake + FSE steel dump valve + stage 2 chip.it transforms into a toally different animal.

that would be around 280hp?
hope the cooper s has some reliable kits for big power soon!
the jcw kit is just not powerful enough :(

You guys make me gila lah... now I am less sure which to choose.. lol... the new facelifted swift looks even nicer than the old one.., but golf still is the better car.. I test drove the golf again today.. and the sound the DSG makes still in my ears... tonight I am going to dream of the golf... lol..

According to VW website the has pre-owned Golf for RM175K.. yummy.. :D.. but sadly.. not in white...

100k in hand?...hmmm...I will go for Swift by cash...no more dealing with bank...hassle free!:67:

hjbakhil;335760 said:
100k in hand?...hmmm...I will go for Swift by cash...no more dealing with bank...hassle free!:67:

yup, or get a JDM or UDM that can be pleasurable to drive..:rolleyes:

Top Bottom