Fuel Consumption & Range

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
astroboy;506327 said:
It has been proven that the terminal velocity to push the car with minimal effort to achieve best FC is 86kph, no more no less. Anything more, you will be burning extra fuel to fight oncoming air resistance rather than moving the car. The fuel burn over extra kph achieved ratio goes up tremendously the faster u travel above the optimum 86kph, regardless of car design or engine capacity.

:listen: what if you filled up the car full tank, max the trunk with 3 golf bags, and take your enitre family (granpa, granma, children and wife) for the ride....still can get 6.8l/100km? :listen::top: ....cabutzzzzz :vroam:

3er;507497 said:
Maybe its supposed to be 12 L/100km and your "1" is not showing up.
i think u r right,bcoz my average speed also facing the some problem.haiz....have to send back to Auto Bavaria to check...or any one can help??:stickyman:

astroboy;507538 said:
Hehe.. if 2L/100km, our tank is 63L, that gives u (63/2)x100 =3,150km/tank :D :D

fantastic milage... :biggrin: ... can go Bangkok and come back with some to spare :laugh:

junioryin;507736 said:
i think u r right,bcoz my average speed also facing the some problem.haiz....have to send back to Auto Bavaria to check...or any one can help??:stickyman:

But there's a correlation wor. Single digit average speed CAN probably get you 2L/100km... :D

It might take 6 months to get to Bangkok and back, but if you can do it on 1 tank of gas....wooohh!! :D :D

After solving the problem of engine vibration, I've been paying attention on the fuel consumption of my 325i. It usually ranges between 12-13l/100km, however it shot to between 17-18l/100km last week. I noticed that when it's idling, the reading would steadily climb to a high 35-38l/100km!:eek:

Any sifu here who can shed some light onto this?

Our tank is 63L. So if its really 38L/100km, u don't have enough fuel for even 200km despite full tank. :eek:

astroboy;509490 said:
Our tank is 63L. So if its really 38L/100km, u don't have enough fuel for even 200km despite full tank. :eek:

Worse......the reading is when the car is idling! The engine is consuming petrol when it's not even moving! :eek:

dzuljazz2001;507735 said:
:listen: what if you filled up the car full tank, max the trunk with 3 golf bags, and take your enitre family (granpa, granma, children and wife) for the ride....still can get 6.8l/100km? :listen::top: ....cabutzzzzz :vroam:

Same law of physic applies, with those loads, you surely can't get better mileage than single occupant car BUT at 86kph, the same car, same load will benefit the most in terms of FC compare to any other speed. That's what I'm trying to tell.

Having said that, I'm quite amaze at my FC at 160ph.. constant for 120km, FC recorded is 8.8L/100km. :top:

Last weekend I think I was again caught by the speed cam on PLUS. Shooting down from a bridge some where near Sungai Buloh, 3rd lane, North bound.. looks like to enjoy the drive, I just need to budget RM500 a year for speeding tickets.. and I can greet every speed cam with a grin.. :D

bmFIVE;509500 said:
Worse......the reading is when the car is idling! The engine is consuming petrol when it's not even moving! :eek:

I am suspecting its just a calculation error with the OBC because our FC counter does give us a quite accurate estimate. Try out with a full tank, reset the odo and see how many liter used up for X km when you next refill. The same value should be displayed on the OBC.

I'm not surprise to see the FC counter moves up when car idling. Its mathematics. If you have just reset the FC counter, it start very high if your car in not moving. Its base on average speed where in this case, your average speed is 0! :eek:

A short drive after the FC counter reset will bring the average FC down but if you go stationary again not long after the drive, the FC counter will go up fast. Say you drove for 2 mins at 100kph and manage to bring the FC to 10L/100km, then you stop the car and idle the engine for 2 min, your average speed should now be 50kph. Idle for 4 min and your should get avg speed of 25kph.. :eek: of course, your FC counter will move in tandem with the slowing down of the average speed when the car is idling. Average speed down, FC up!

When u notice the above, how long have you been driven the car after the FC counter reset?

bmFIVE;509486 said:
After solving the problem of engine vibration, I've been paying attention on the fuel consumption of my 325i. It usually ranges between 12-13l/100km, however it shot to between 17-18l/100km last week. I noticed that when it's idling, the reading would steadily climb to a high 35-38l/100km!:eek:

Any sifu here who can shed some light onto this?

wah 17-18l/100km...bro u got a 5l engine under the hood ler...:top:

check ur MAF and O2 sensor...faulty sensor will cause ur engine to run very rich and resulting in very high FC...

Mine is doing about 15L/100kms in city driving with the classic KL traffic jam at peak hours.

thats really high FC.. my 325 is around 12l/100km , mostly city driving.
think its burning too rich of a fuel... better cx it out bro

t2ribena;509513 said:
wah 17-18l/100km...bro u got a 5l engine under the hood ler...:top:

check ur MAF and O2 sensor...faulty sensor will cause ur engine to run very rich and resulting in very high FC...

Update : Took the car for a outstation drive to Kuantan over the weekend. The fuel consumption is back to normal at 12 -13 l/km.:cool:

Is it quality of fuel issue?

Bro, 12-13 l/100km is what I get in city-cycle driving (325i Sports). For an outstation drive I can get 9.8 l/100km. I think you're still running rich, and as t2ribena says, it could simply be a sensor issue. Worth getting it checked. :wink:

bmFIVE;513942 said:
Update : Took the car for a outstation drive to Kuantan over the weekend. The fuel consumption is back to normal at 12 -13 l/km.:cool:

Is it quality of fuel issue?

Looks high la bro, as per Schwepps comments below. My own in-city use averages around 14.3L/100km (7km/L)at average speed of 30km/h. Lately been using DUKE highway, so FC improvng to around 13.5L/100km (7.4km/L). For highways I get around 9L/100km (11km/L) for spirited drives, and 8L/100km (12.5km/L) for more relaxed cruising with no special effort to reduce FC. I use RON95 fuel (Shell).

Schwepps;513960 said:
Bro, 12-13 l/100km is what I get in city-cycle driving (325i Sports). For an outstation drive I can get 9.8 l/100km. I think you're still running rich, and as t2ribena says, it could simply be a sensor issue. Worth getting it checked. :wink:

Traveler;513982 said:
Looks high la bro, as per Schwepps comments below. My own in-city use averages around 14.3L/100km (7km/L)at average speed of 30km/h. Lately been using DUKE highway, so FC improvng to around 13.5L/100km (7.4km/L). For highways I get around 9L/100km (11km/L) for spirited drives, and 8L/100km (12.5km/L) for more relaxed cruising with no special effort to reduce FC. I use RON95 fuel (Shell).

Guys

Let me clarify : the fuel consumption dropped to 12-13 l/100km in-city-driving after the outstation strip. The reading during highway cruise was 8-9 l/100km as per Schwepps's experience.

Sorry for the confusion.

Top Bottom