e92 335i Oil Cooling Problems...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
David Yong;491956 said:
Like said, I will stick with 10,000 km to 12,000 km service interval. Will most probably do it at every 10,000 km (just like my previous e90 325i). My last service was 6,000 km ago and nope my oil temp is not getting higher and higher.

Schwepps; i'm refering to oil temp :)

And when can we view your nice sedan 335i bro supergripen ? It's very rare here in Malaysia.

What engine oil are u using David?

My car is still at the shop,waiting for my loan processing etc.Dunno if they can hv it done before CNY,I doubt so.Chances are it'll be end of the month la.

Schwepps;491630 said:
Is it possible that some of you are talking about water temp and some oil temp? I don't think the water temp can go up to 120C without the whole cooling system exploding from steam pressure.

i was talking about the windscreen washer fluid temperature...

t2ribena;492006 said:
i was talking about the windscreen washer fluid temperature...

You have a gauge for this too ???? :rock: That's why M5 is always M5.... no car can beat em.. hehehe...

David Yong;491592 said:
If follow the book, it will be at every 25,000 km but I will do it at every 10,000 km to 12,000 km. I ain't going to follow the book.

Bro, given that your engine is pushing higher HP/torque than a stock one, I will recommend shorter interval for the oil change, more so you are using 5W-30!

On the ///M cars, the average oil temp is about 100 degrees C on a hot day, rarely does mine go above 100, unless I do some spirited runs. On the track it goes up to 125~130 and that's when I backed off, and I change mine every 5000km.

Cheers

hi all,

i introduced myself in the newbie forum sometime back but just got my car end of last month.. the forums really helped a lot..

like any noobie, searched for reasons why my my oil temp quite high after a bit of high revving +- 120deg.. am gonna check w my mechanic if my 2007 recon came with or without OEM oil cooler.. what do you guys think?

so far, have any one here gone for the aftermarket oil cooler upgrade? dinan, cp-e, vk or ar design?

saprozeldo;579452 said:
hi all,

i introduced myself in the newbie forum sometime back but just got my car end of last month.. the forums really helped a lot..

like any noobie, searched for reasons why my my oil temp quite high after a bit of high revving +- 120deg.. am gonna check w my mechanic if my 2007 recon came with or without OEM oil cooler.. what do you guys think?

so far, have any one here gone for the aftermarket oil cooler upgrade? dinan, cp-e, vk or ar design?

AR Design did mention that they were working on a radiator upgrade for the N54.The one for manual cars are already out,still waiting for their auto tranny version which apparently will come with a gearbox oil cooler attached to the radiator.
The upgrade is said to not only improve engine cooling(water),but will also improve engine oil temp in a positive way.
Haven't checked their website since.. maybe u'd wanna have a look.

supergripen.. if you're refering to the high performance aluminium radiator, then its out on the market.. its the first angle to address oil cooling by upgrading the radiator.. its mainly thicker allowing >50% coolant and is made of aluminium instead of stock's plastic..

what does the other seniors here think between the radiator upgrade vs the oil-cooler upgrade? radiator upgrade is abt usd100 extra..

fyi, just found out that my 2007 does have the oil cooler.. more so alarming though, since even with the stock oil cooler, my car regularly hovers ard d 120deg celcius mark after a bit of consistent revving..

also been looking at the cp-e core FMIC & OC combo.. that way can get a bit of performance upgrade but so far, no data as to how the OC combo performs.. any thoughts?

thanks in advance..

saprozeldo;579941 said:
supergripen.. if you're refering to the high performance aluminium radiator, then its out on the market.. its the first angle to address oil cooling by upgrading the radiator.. its mainly thicker allowing >50% coolant and is made of aluminium instead of stock's plastic..

what does the other seniors here think between the radiator upgrade vs the oil-cooler upgrade? radiator upgrade is abt usd100 extra..

fyi, just found out that my 2007 does have the oil cooler.. more so alarming though, since even with the stock oil cooler, my car regularly hovers ard d 120deg celcius mark after a bit of consistent revving..

also been looking at the cp-e core FMIC & OC combo.. that way can get a bit of performance upgrade but so far, no data as to how the OC combo performs.. any thoughts?

thanks in advance..

Maybe the engine oil that we use has a role in how the oil temp behaves.. my oil temp hovers over the 120C mark as well when I'm driving moderately fast.Push it much further and it'll move towards the 130C mark.Maybe I should try other engine oil brands.I heard Liqui Moly comes highly recomended.Would be good to hear what the others think,or recommend.

I'm kinda leaning towards the AR Design radiator upgrade since it covers three areas of cooling(water,engine oil and tranny fluid).Just to confirm with u,the auto tranny version of the radiator upgrade is out already?

The fact that BMW includes a radiator upgrade in their BMW Performance Power Kit for the N54 confirms my leaning.

Might also consider a FMIC upgrade in the future,together with Procede V4/JB4.

I think what's more important is what is the operating temp range of the N54. If you're within that range and somewhere near the middle it should be fine. A fully-synthetic oil should always be used for a turbo like the N54 because fully-syns handle high temperatures better. A semi-syn or mineral oil rated for lower temps will oxidise at higher temps and lose its properties fast.

Finally, cool oil = sludge formation. So if I'm within the engine's range, I would rather run a bit hot than a bit cool.

Does N54 engine run hotter than the N/A N52 or N46, in terms of engine oil temperature?

Schwepps;580007 said:
I think what's more important is what is the operating temp range of the N54. If you're within that range and somewhere near the middle it should be fine. A fully-synthetic oil should always be used for a turbo like the N54 because fully-syns handle high temperatures better. A semi-syn or mineral oil rated for lower temps will oxidise at higher temps and lose its properties fast.

Finally, cool oil = sludge formation. So if I'm within the engine's range, I would rather run a bit hot than a bit cool.

i cant confirm schwepps, but noted in a few forum that the 335 have tendencies to drop into "limp" mode at temps 130deg celcius or 270deg fahrenheit.. not applicable to all cars but at least applicable to cars which have oil temp problems like mine.. most addresses it with an oil cooler upgrade, ie dinan or ar design.. none posted with cpe core fmic combo w oil cooler.. :p

supergripen;579972 said:
Maybe the engine oil that we use has a role in how the oil temp behaves.. my oil temp hovers over the 120C mark as well when I'm driving moderately fast.Push it much further and it'll move towards the 130C mark.Maybe I should try other engine oil brands.I heard Liqui Moly comes highly recomended.Would be good to hear what the others think,or recommend.

I'm kinda leaning towards the AR Design radiator upgrade since it covers three areas of cooling(water,engine oil and tranny fluid).Just to confirm with u,the auto tranny version of the radiator upgrade is out already?

The fact that BMW includes a radiator upgrade in their BMW Performance Power Kit for the N54 confirms my leaning.

Might also consider a FMIC upgrade in the future,together with Procede V4/JB4.

supergripen, do share d result if you do change engine oil.. am not sure what mine's on now.. will update my post in a bit..

astroboy;580014 said:
Does N54 engine run hotter than the N/A N52 or N46, in terms of engine oil temperature?

Known to run hotter I believe. DY said earlier in this thread that 120C is the midpoint of the oil temp gauge in his 335i. If so, it's designed to run at 120C and running it cooler is not necessarily good.

saprozeldo, I thought the limp mode issue was due to the fuel pump problem which is the subject of the class action suits in the US?

Schwepps;580019 said:
Known to run hotter I believe. DY said earlier in this thread that 120C is the midpoint of the oil temp gauge in his 335i. If so, it's designed to run at 120C and running it cooler is not necessarily good.

saprozeldo, I thought the limp mode issue was due to the fuel pump problem which is the subject of the class action suits in the US?

What's the optimal engine oil temp for N52 or N46? 120C sounds very hot le. I though the water circulation starts at about 87C or something.. very demanding on the oil.

Still prefer NA engine when it comes to maintenance issue.. :top:

astroboy;580032 said:

AB, please can you explain/elaborate more on this?

herbert;580039 said:
AB, please can you explain/elaborate more on this?

Engine temperature for FI engine is higher, so engine oil degrade or break down fast and demanding shorter oil change interval. NA engine oil can last longer ma. Nothing rocket science about it.

astroboy;580032 said:
What's the optimal engine oil temp for N52 or N46? 120C sounds very hot le. I though the water circulation starts at about 87C or something.. very demanding on the oil.

But a 335i will be less likely to sludge because it runs hotter... :)

120C is not an issue if you're using a true PAO G-IV oil and change it at 12k intervals.

Mobil 1 Hot Temperature Properties
At high temperatures the oil molecule in synthetic oils are far more stable and degenerate less. This means not only do synthetic oils maintain lubrication integrity, they continue to cool and clean engine components at constant temperatures of up to 180°C, and can handle short term temperatures in excess of 200°C.
http://www.mobil.com/australia-english/lcw/audiences/synthetic_v_mineral.asp

BTW, before anyone asks, I think the Mobil 1 available here is not a true PAO oil.

saprozeldo;580017 said:
supergripen, do share d result if you do change engine oil.. am not sure what mine's on now.. will update my post in a bit..

Will do.. I'll be going to Freddy@Obermaier for my next oil change and at the same time have him diagnose my frequent limp mode occurences.Might go for Procede while I'm at it.. we'll see.

Schwepps;580019 said:

for some odd reason, some 335i face "limp mode" when the car goes over the 130deg celcius or 270deg fahrenheit oil temp..

120deg is fine but considering getting there only with a little bit of revving is a concern.. not so difficult to go over the 130deg mark, and potentially "limp mode".. had that once on a long distance to melaka, dunwanna go thru it again..

Top Bottom