e39 Parts and Maintenance Cost

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Need to confirm the pricing...

Hi everybody. I am about to spend a lot of money for my E39 523 1998 made in Germany. I've got most of the items price as below and hope you guys could help me to compare whether I will become "water fish" or not...

1. Blistein Absorber Front (RM440x2=RM880). Is this the best one for E39? Any other choice?

2. Blistein Absorber Rear (RM350x2=RM700)

3. Complete Arms, Link and Bush (total 20pcs = RM10,692 AB / RM8,356 OEM)

4. Passenger Seat SRS Sensor (RM510)

5. Fuel Filter (RM70)

6. Fan Clutch (RM285)

7. Workmanship: Replace all the parts as listed above (RM800)

8. Workmanship: Balancing + Alignment (RM60) Normal Tires Shop

9. Workmanship: Engine Oil change+ Oil Filter change + Inspection + Body wash + Engine wash (RM50)

Estimate need to spend at least RM15,000.00. Please comment, thank you and have a nice day! :top:

If u really want to buy the parts more than RM10K, i thk u should come to S'pore. Buy the parts in S'pore and do it in M'sia is a best way to save the cost.

1. Blistein Absorber Front (RM440x2=RM880). Is this the best one for E39? Any other choice?
Blistein B6 or B8?? If B8 SGD270x2

Blistein B6 or B8?? If B8 SGD190x2

Try to ask Seargent, he just changed all the arm link and bush for his e39. He also bought the parts in S'pore.

SGD165 only!

5. Fuel Filter (RM70)
Not sure.

6. Fan Clutch (RM285)
Not sure.

Not sure.

Balancing normally cost u RM6/wheel and alignment normally cost u RM20/side.

9. Workmanship: Engine Oil change+ Oil Filter change + Inspection + Body wash + Engine wash (RM50)
Not sure.

What i am sure is ur car will feel good after this..:top:

Good luck..:top:

my 1999 E39 went for service today......

just curious,do we need to do
1) flusing cleans engine and
2) do engin treatment MOA for every 10,000KM service?

Guys,

Need your advice to see if i have been slaughter during my recent service...

Rubber Mount Set (Upper Arm) RM255
Service Charge to renew upper arm bush RM100

Bush D=22.5 (Anti Roll Bar Bush) RM90
Auto Sump Gasket RM78
FL Strainer RM99
Fan Belt RM89
ZF Trans Fluid(10 liters) RM510
Service Charge to replace anti roll bar bush RM30
Service Charge to renew fan belt RM10
Service Charge to flush trans fuild RM150

Front Absorber (Bilstein B4) - 490 per piece RM980
Front Absorber Mounting - 115 per piece RM230
Absorber Damper - 48 per piece RM96
Vaccum Hose RM32.8
Service Charge to Renew Front Absorber - 60 per piece RM120
To take out rear left door panel & Fix (leaking) RM30

I should have bought my own parts...sigh...i was quoted biltein b4 for only RM370...I am such an ass....:motz:

bro,
It's always cheaper by about 20-30% if you buy the parts and get the mechanic to fix them! By the way, please PM me where you could get Blistein front absorbers for RM 370.

Thanks

bmw7833;256659 said:
If u really want to buy the parts more than RM10K, i thk u should come to S'pore. Buy the parts in S'pore and do it in M'sia is a best way to save the cost.

Blistein B6 or B8?? If B8 SGD270x2

Blistein B6 or B8?? If B8 SGD190x2

Try to ask Seargent, he just changed all the arm link and bush for his e39. He also bought the parts in S'pore.

SGD165 only!

5. Fuel Filter (RM70)
Not sure.

6. Fan Clutch (RM285)
Not sure.

Not sure.

Balancing normally cost u RM6/wheel and alignment normally cost u RM20/side.

Not sure.

What i am sure is ur car will feel good after this..:top:

Good luck..:top:

Hi there,

Just curious, I was quoted SGD500 for front (should be per pair) and SGD300 for rear (should be per pair) for Bilstein B6. It appears that B8 front is not much extra than B6 ...... from where you got your quote ?

Cheers.

Guys,

i lost my receipt for things i bought from Sg. I try to recall k

1. Bilstein B8 Rear cost bout $270 per pc
2. Bilstein B8 Front cost bout $190 per pc( i dunno why front is cheaper, but looking at its shaft thickness total different from ori shocks.
3. Brembo/Ziegermann disk rotors at $50 per pc
4. Sachs/Boge front shocks bout $150 rear $125.
5. Abs sensor $90 per pc
6. Brake sensor $6
5. Air Con filter 2 for $25/30
6. All other bushing,tie rods,links arms lupa laa... what i still remember is all of them is Lemforder brand.

p/s: Dun forget to write down ur last 7 digit Vin no when u ordering parts.

Bro i also had similar loud hmmmm sound on my 523i. When i asked my mechanic to take look. He said the silicone inside fan clutch dried. So he open center cover of the fan and filled it with some industry grade silicone. Now no more sound. Power wise i can really differentiate.

Jerman;253477 said:
I changed my fan clutch too yesterday. Now the car felt "lighter" and smoother!

Based on this website, apparently fan clutch problem is common for E39 after 100,000 km milage

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=55

Seargent;265948 said:
Bro i also had similar loud hmmmm sound on my 523i. When i asked my mechanic to take look. He said the silicone inside fan clutch dried. So he open center cover of the fan and filled it with some industry grade silicone. Now no more sound. Power wise i can really differentiate.

Where u done for ur car? Two-B?

Brother Beemers,

Here's a list of my charges for servicing my car on 7-12-2007 at Happy Motors:-
(a) 2 litres of Castrol EDGE fully synthetic (5W-40)(RM162 each) = RM324-00
(b) Mann Oil Filter RM50-00 for 1 unit
(c) Bosch R3 4 prong spark plug (RM45 each x 6) = RM270-00
(d) Fan Belt = RM45-00
(e) Air Con gas top up RM40-00
(f) Labour charge for all the above is RM50-00

GRAND TOTAL = RM739-00
so is it cheap or what? Feed backs are welcome!

Hi, want share some of my cost to date since I got the car in early Dec 98. 528i '97

ABS sensor front wheels 285 each
Fan clutch 285 ( This is a power grabber! Sluggish acceleration is a symthom. Change it if your car sounds like an aeroplane when revving the engine past 3000 rpms. )
Valve cover gasket 90.
Window seal front 130/ 130-rear
Door apron - 150 each
Center storage box 260

I am watching the cooling system now. I suspect some small leak from the expansion tank but the compartment are tight to check. also black plastic doesn't help. Reason: If i top up water to the brim and drive it around, next few days before cold start water level is always below the min mark. Temp is ok. Water is not boiling over when I do a open radiator cap warm-up test.

Do you guys notice the price of parts are almost the same at all the major BMW parts stockist? I have a feeling their list prices are controlled. Only can ask for some discount but normally it's quite little given.

cheers!

I had my a/c filter changed to charcoal a/c filter after getting fuol smell fm outside.
It cost RM 200 ( 2 pcs ) at the w/shop in Terengganu Road in Penang.

gst;275737 said:
I had my a/c filter changed to charcoal a/c filter after getting fuol smell fm outside.
It cost RM 200 ( 2 pcs ) at the w/shop in Terengganu Road in Penang.

gst,
I know it's very irritating to have external smell permeates into the cabin despite the "re-circulated air control button" is activated. So, is it solved after changing to the charcoal filters?

If not try this. cut-out a sponge to fill-up the the air-vent gap (oval in shape). The air-vent is located at the air-cond filter!

p/s: If you are in Klang Valley, look for Naidu, his shop is behind Shell Station in Jalan Gasing after turnoff at KWSP/Federal highway. He is good in solving this problem for just RM 30 :top:

e39 sponge for air-cond

Hi Jerman,

Naidu can do this sponge thingy in minutes for the air-cond?Thanks

Jerman;275852 said:
gst,
I know it's very irritating to have external smell permeates into the cabin despite the "re-circulated air control button" is activated. So, is it solved after changing to the charcoal filters?

If not try this. cut-out a sponge to fill-up the the air-vent gap (oval in shape). The air-vent is located at the air-cond filter!

p/s: If you are in Klang Valley, look for Naidu, his shop is behind Shell Station in Jalan Gasing after turnoff at KWSP/Federal highway. He is good in solving this problem for just RM 30 :top:

e39 a/c sponge.

Hi Jerman,

Sorry for the late response. Thank u for yr advise. In fact, the foreman already suggested to me earlier about the sponge but i told them i would come back n do it when servicing the car in weeks to come. Part of the reason, wanted to buy some time to find out if this sponge thing is hazardous to passenger's cabin in terms of air ventilation.

gst;278708 said:
Part of the reason, wanted to buy some time to find out if this sponge thing is hazardous to passenger's cabin in terms of air ventilation.

gst,
Bro, I do not think this sponge will be harmful. The function of this sponge is just to seal up the air vents to prevent external smell permeates into the cabin because the air vent fins may not close fully despite the "re-circulated air control button" is activated!

I'd agree that Naidu can definitely help with problematic air-recirculation. He solved my previous e34 with sponge.

My new e39 though is not the air-recirculation problem. Aside from the worn rubber on the micro-filter air channel/duct that let in air, the already dirty and worn/bad sponge in the interior is also the culprit. Basically, even some DIY cleaning will help. In my case, the panel below the steering wheel.

Solve my problem, but having done that, just got Naidu in servicing my A/C due to leaking coil. A good time to clean and service the A/C internal parts, i.e. the blower fin.

Details in http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16310.

cheers.:top:

got my 525 car yesterday.

As usual, got the keys and straight to the workshop to get the car to my standards.
The bill was quite pretty. Good thing is I had budgeted for this.

Will post later (20 items in total).

Top Bottom