e39 Parts and Maintenance Cost

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
My rear power window kaput. Went to Optimum at Kg Sg Kayu Ara to change. While there, the radiator leak. 'Fortunately' it leak at the workshop, if happen at the highway, would have to incur additional tow truck charges, not to mention the risk of overheating and permanently damaging your engine and gasket.

Well, time for me to share my bill for the benefit of all. Here are my list:-

1. Radiotar + installation RM850
2. Coolant RM 29
3. Water Pump O-Ring RM 21.50
4. Thermostat O-Ring RM 11
5. Thermostat Profile Gasket RM 20
6. Water Pump Pulley RM156
7. Labour charges to fix power window RM 65
8. 2nd hand rear power window RM400
9. Crankshaft timing sensor RM350

I have checked previous list posted and found that they have charged me quite high for the water pump pulley (see posting by AzwanB where his pulley only costs RM110). But the workmanship of Jason (the boss), Andrew and his men at Optimum are great. No complaint.

Was told that original BM radiator normally only last about 5 years. The replacement radiator about 3 years:eek: So better be extra vigilant on your coolant level and be careful when its level starts to drop slowly.

Need some advise here from all the beemer sifu:

1.Can anyone tell me what is the correct mileage to change engine oil? Is every 5k or 10k km?

2.What is the rating of the engine oil that i m suppose to use for my e39,just in case those mechanic try to cheat me.

3.Anything else i need to change for rountine maintenance beside engine oil?

sorry for the trouble becos my e39 is an old car and the manual book is lost when i acquire the car. :)

Tohsan;230801 said:
Need some advise here from all the beemer sifu:

1.Can anyone tell me what is the correct mileage to change engine oil? Is every 5k or 10k km?

2.What is the rating of the engine oil that i m suppose to use for my e39,just in case those mechanic try to cheat me.

3.Anything else i need to change for rountine maintenance beside engine oil?

sorry for the trouble becos my e39 is an old car and the manual book is lost when i acquire the car. :)

bro Tohsan.

4 me, me will change every 5k km. me using 15-45 mineral. bcos shiok to hear a quite engine sound due to thick oil.:D n told by some old bird old engine use mineral better.(this 1 no commend but will try other fully or semi engine oil when coming servicing)

engine oil is personal preference some will go 4 fully syntetic some go for semi syntetic n some will go for mineral engine oil.

beside engine oil don forget about ur auto transmission oil.check those rubber hose c whether it oredy soft or leaking liao.

mine oso old e39 year 98.

Grand;228488 said:
My rear power window kaput. Went to Optimum at Kg Sg Kayu Ara to change. While there, the radiator leak. 'Fortunately' it leak at the workshop, if happen at the highway, would have to incur additional tow truck charges, not to mention the risk of overheating and permanently damaging your engine and gasket.

Well, time for me to share my bill for the benefit of all. Here are my list:-

1. Radiotar + installation RM850
2. Coolant RM 29
3. Water Pump O-Ring RM 21.50
4. Thermostat O-Ring RM 11
5. Thermostat Profile Gasket RM 20
6. Water Pump Pulley RM156
7. Labour charges to fix power window RM 65
8. 2nd hand rear power window RM400
9. Crankshaft timing sensor RM350

I have checked previous list posted and found that they have charged me quite high for the water pump pulley (see posting by AzwanB where his pulley only costs RM110). But the workmanship of Jason (the boss), Andrew and his men at Optimum are great. No complaint.

Was told that original BM radiator normally only last about 5 years. The replacement radiator about 3 years:eek: So better be extra vigilant on your coolant level and be careful when its level starts to drop slowly.

Grand, u changed the rear power window for both side or only one side?

ryucky81;230823 said:
bro Tohsan.

4 me, me will change every 5k km. me using 15-45 mineral. bcos shiok to hear a quite engine sound due to thick oil.:D n told by some old bird old engine use mineral better.(this 1 no commend but will try other fully or semi engine oil when coming servicing)

engine oil is personal preference some will go 4 fully syntetic some go for semi syntetic n some will go for mineral engine oil.

beside engine oil don forget about ur auto transmission oil.check those rubber hose c whether it oredy soft or leaking liao.

mine oso old e39 year 98.

Ryucky81 sifu

thanks for ur feed back. U just remind me to change the auto transmission oil, i still not change any yet since I get the car :eek: , and now got excuse to go for thick engine oil like your one in the next oil change :D

Tohsan;231092 said:
Ryucky81 sifu

thanks for ur feed back. U just remind me to change the auto transmission oil, i still not change any yet since I get the car :eek: , and now got excuse to go for thick engine oil like your one in the next oil change :D

bro Tohsan.

ho!ho!ho! don call me sifu bro:p .this is my very first UDM n still in learning stage.what me writing is wat me learn n heard from others sifu(they really call sifu)

enjoy the vroom from e39:D

Hai Guys,
Just bot my 'second wife' e39 523i 00/01 2 months ago. Car condition tip-top cause previous owner maintained at AB. FYI here my bills:

Mobil 1 $198 x 2 = $396
Oil filter $ 36
Gasket Ring $14
Spark Plug 6 x $23 = $138
Trans. oil 5x $$43 =$215
swing rod L/R 2x $72 = $ 144
vanos hose $110
a/c bearing $70
roller bearing $ 90
belt tensioner $145
Skim front break disc $50
front ABS sensor $385
Labour charges $400

I wanted to change the battery, break pad and radiator hose but this guy said tak payah la..bole pakai lagi, buat apa buang duit...
The best thing is my pomen asked me to buy the parts at Bavarian Auto at Taman
Maluri to save some monies. So you guys can try go to JT carcare service cntr at Taman Sg Besi Industrial Park and look for brader man 019-6115140

Bimmer Bole!!

Achtung 520i;233954 said:
Just purchased e39 520i 2.2 a few months ago. Will share some cost details on what I have spent thus far.

Welcome to the house..

Buying Experience

Before I provide details on the some of the costs for maintenance which I could probably do so by next week, thought I'll share with u my experience in buying the 520i which I acquired sometime in May.
AFter some months looking at the papers and getting a feel of the market price and visiting some of the used car dealers, I finally set my eyes on one in a used car dealer that deals in mostly contis.
What attracted me to the car was its almost showroom condition, interior and exterior. Even more attractive was that for a 2002 yr model it had done only around 87,000 km. Now this mileage part is the one, where I was taken for a ride! After closing the deal and taken delivery of the car, after a month or so, I visited Auto Bavaria Glenmarie to request them to show me the service record (I found out that the previous owner has been continuously servicing there). Of course AutoBavaria asked for verification that I was the new owner which I provide. After running thru the service record, only then that I noticed that the mileage is around 187,000 km and NOT 87,000 as displayed by the meter.
So my advise to those would be buyers, DO NOT TRUST THE METER READINGS as they can be tampered with, and most importantantly DO NOT TRUST ANY SALES GUY, they are there only to dispose of the vehicle.

achtung520i,
bro, sorry to hear your story! Since you already bought the car and cannot reverse the situation, why not make the best of it! Look forward and enjoy the ride!

May be ur meter clock LED got wrong there...the "1" LED can not work..Better check check..:D :D

Top Bottom