e39 Parts and Maintenance Cost

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Winston;423567 said:
I am a newbie here, Mine is a 1997 528

Speedometer Not running, ABS indicator light up, Fuel Indicator not functioning properly, do I need to change Speedometer(if yes how Much would it cost?)
Sure would Appreciate any pointers , Thanx.

Bro, don't change your speedometer.Nothing wrong with it.Your ASC light should also be lighting.

Same thing happened to my car before,you need to change your ABS sensor located at each of the 4 wheels.The wires must have been cut off due to aging,or if all your 4 wires still in good cond,check the connection point and ask your mech to clean it,residues of dust/dirt over age may affect the whole system as well. No need to change all 4 sensors, just change the one that is bad.I change mine last year (all 4) after the same symptoms and now everything is OK.

Costwise, i can't remember exactly, but around RM300 per piece for brand new (for rear wheels). For thefront wheels i remember its cheaper. Chopshop will sell you around RM 150/piece (depends how you nego).

the dreaded tranny light came up yesterday. Ooo scary. Luckily gear still shifts ok but once in a while the gear slipped or shifted to a higher gear on cruising.

Stopped the car for a while and light went away.

Drove to BMWorld Desa Tun Razak and Ah Wai diagnosed it as a faulty brake switch!!!!
What errors came up?
EGS - CAN bus signal
DME - something related to the CAN bus signal as well. Also possibility of idling and speed sensor
ASC - speed sensor
and a few others, I think GM module.

Aaaaa.... and I was freakin' frantic that it could mean a gbox surgery :(

So, all in today,
brake switch RM155
valve cover gasket RM125
valve cover bush RM67.50(16 pcs)
fan belt 115
ac belt RM68
programme DME + diagnostics RM150
labor RM100
Total RM780.50.

Phew.... Car runs smooth now and feels more responsive. Hope to see improved FC as well.

Hi guys,

Something to share with u all:

Alt Belt = RM60
Thermo Housing =RM185
Water Pump (TRW) =RM115
Fan Clutch (GER) =RM235
Coolant =RM30
Battery Water =RM10 (Mix with coolant)
Labour =RM150
Total =RM785

Hello UDM lovers,

Just to share with you all, I'll be sending my E39 sometime this week to do the following; 1). Drain & replaced ATF fluid & filter 2). Check & probably changing the front & rear arms (in my possession is a set of powerflex bushes); and 3). Drain & replaced power steering fluid. The mechanic prefers not for me not to bring the parts. Anyway, it's me that I need to please so I would buy them from spare parts shops to make sure they are original parts and cheaper prices. So far I've bought some from Eng Soon but for ATF, I may need to visit IP. Once, the servicing completed, I'll share the cost.

eyethree;429772 said:
Hello UDM lovers,

Just to share with you all, I'll be sending my E39 sometime this week to do the following; 1). Drain & replaced ATF fluid & filter 2). Check & probably changing the front & rear arms (in my possession is a set of powerflex bushes); and 3). Drain & replaced power steering fluid. The mechanic prefers not for me not to bring the parts. Anyway, it's me that I need to please so I would buy them from spare parts shops to make sure they are original parts and cheaper prices. So far I've bought some from Eng Soon but for ATF, I may need to visit IP. Once, the servicing completed, I'll share the cost.

Bro,

Where is yr location & which wokshop do you go? What is IP?
It is our right to bring our parts & tell mech what to do.
If ur in JB can ctc me at 013-seven two three five three five four:wink:

Bro Initial M,

The workshop I normally go is in KL. Quite a decent place & friendly too (that's the reason I was going back there). Anyway, I'm working in JB & my family is staying in KL, kira2 weekend husband la bro...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

eyethree;429978 said:
Bro Initial M,

The workshop I normally go is in KL. Quite a decent place & friendly too (that's the reason I was going back there). Anyway, I'm working in JB & my family is staying in KL, kira2 weekend husband la bro...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just got to know new workshop in JB just 2 months. Ex AB mech wt 12 yrs experience. If free can kena teh sometimes. weekdays bachelor lar:listen:

initialM;430007 said:
I just got to know new workshop in JB just 2 months. Ex AB mech wt 12 yrs experience. If free can kena teh sometimes. weekdays bachelor lar:listen:

SURE OR NOT U CAN GO OUT???????? sorry out of topic but trust me tis guy eventhou doubtful abt his permit but come to maintain car he's the king kong

Bailey;430019 said:
SURE OR NOT U CAN GO OUT???????? sorry out of topic but trust me tis guy eventhou doubtful abt his permit but come to maintain car he's the king kong

Wei unker what you doing in E39 thread lar???
Go to E60 thread lar or start a thread title my E60 stuck at port klang hehehe:rolleyes:

initialM;430007 said:

Husband is only during weekends, weekdays - bachelor laa.. minum teh - can, anytime...

azan23uk;408601 said:
just did ATF 'part flush'

1. ZF 6.5 ltr ATF @ RM50 per ltr
2. ATF filter RM60
3. Gasket RM45

All above is RM430. I also did regular oil service. So, ATF labour inclusive of labour for oil service is RM80. Oh..almost forgot..Wiper Bosch RM130 and all six spark plugs..Bosch (that 4 'tips' type) RM32 a pc.

Mine is 528i Yr 2000, UK. 162k km

XXX;411370 said:
I suppose its oem wantlah as bavarian auto dun carry those ciplak wan..I ask him mana mali...he say jerman...so caya sama dialah.

How's the oem atf filters perform so far?
I read in thread posted by viewfinder that some atf filter sold by local sparepart shops are causing problem to the auto transmission. Share with us your experience...:stupid:

...so far no problem...no whistling sound.....whistling sound from owner gotlah when got sexy kodok pass by.

initialM;430030 said:
Wei unker what you doing in E39 thread lar???
Go to E60 thread lar or start a thread title my E60 stuck at port klang hehehe:rolleyes:

Eh!...are you actually such a farneee guy ...or you evryday mabuk when you post...kakkakakakka:love:

XXX;430328 said:
Eh!...are you actually such a farneee guy ...or you evryday mabuk when you post...kakkakakakka:love:

I mabuk when horny & horny when mabuk ahak ahaks tuih:love:

ATF and Others

eyethree;430317 said:
How's the oem atf filters perform so far?
I read in thread posted by viewfinder that some atf filter sold by local sparepart shops are causing problem to the auto transmission. Share with us your experience...:stupid:

So far so good. Immediately can feel more bite on 1st and 2nd gear. Gone up to Penang and T'ganu eversince. Now more confident in pushing to to sports mode and play with the stick.

On another matter, almost changed the wiper water pump...RM45, but find out it was only a kinked hose. So did not change and happy oredy. Then, started reversing the car to cabut balik, my mech heard something and asked me to stop and pop the hood. Guess what? My water pump bearing gave way and all my belting kaputs. I think the wate pump is still ok but decided to change anyway. The result:

fan belt - RM130
A/C belt - RM40
Fan belt bearing - RM90
Tensioner - RM50
Water pump - RM300

Labor RM80

Total +/- RM700. Anyway, lucky it did not happened in T'ganu last weekend. Otherwise........

Bailey;202229 said:
u jes browse thru penang TT but not E39ners bro, if its happen tat u r in klang valley then maybe u can join us for 5ers outing bro........cheers

hey Bailey, when n where is the next TT? i'm new to your forum, but have been driving the e39 since 2004.

Jerman;423516 said:
Yazid,
Many thanks for the clarifications. I'm still learning from veterans and experts like you. Yes, Yazid is correct.

To all newbies and enthusiasts, join the club officially and come to TT for a whole new experience in BMW ownership and networking! :top:

hey Jerman sifu,

how do we join the club officially?

Top Bottom