Compilation of problems of F30 u encountered

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
just noticed this morning both my front seat frames are rusted = another visit to SC
i've been to SC more times in 3 mths vs my old protons in 3 years. so much for >$$$ car !

So far these are the complaints:
1.Wind noise
2.Poor sound proof
3.Knocking sound from steering or absorbers
4.Jerks from eco start/ stop function
5.Gear shifting not smooth
6.Air vent/flap refused to shut
7.Aircond loud
8.Left mirror unabel to adjust
9.Big gap between glass panel and meter cluster
10.Jerky even when not on ASS mode
11.Front lights fog up during raining day
12.Scratches on Wingard tinting
13.Black residual on tail pipe
14.Wiper cannot stop when raining, even if stop button off
15.Leaky windscreen
16.Headlamp loose and shaky

Seems nothing so major but rather workmanshoip/programming kind of issues. Also have not sighted much complaints on 320i so far. Guess, I am still going ahead with the car. Car has just arrived. Hope everything is ok and I will be a proud BMW owner and become a buddy to you guys! :rock:

bro, i must say.... good luck to u.....

many will say that the sheer driving pleasure overrides any other inferior u may found.... but i would say.... have your hard earned money to be spent elsewhere is a better bet..

jan999, tq bro..

I try first and if too much problem then will follow the other bro to go for a CR-Z hahaha

my comments on the issues listed below:

So far these were the complaints:
1.Wind noise (cannot be fixed, probably due to large wing mirrors)
2.Poor sound proof (i think the CKD versions are noisier, the CBU ones were ok)
3.Knocking sound from steering or absorbers (poor quality control)
4.Jerks from eco start/ stop function (this is not really an issue, its a feature but a poorly executed feature)
5.Gear shifting not smooth (having too many speeds will always introduce this issue. 4 speeder in Vios we complain, 8 speeder in BMW we complain)
6.Air vent/flap refused to shut (not sure what this is)
7.Aircond loud (seriously?)
8.Left mirror unabel to adjust (poor quality, warranty fix)
9.Big gap between glass panel and meter cluster (cannot be fixed)
10.Jerky even when not on ASS mode (same as the gearbox issue)
11.Front lights fog up during raining day (poor quality, warranty fix)
12.Scratches on Wingard tinting (not really an issue, poor workmanship)
13.Black residual on tail pipe (if on 320d, what do you expect with Euro 2 diesel??)
14.Wiper cannot stop when raining, even if stop button off (poor quality, warranty fix)
15.Leaky windscreen (poor quality, warranty fix)
16.Headlamp loose and shaky (poor quality, warranty fix)

Jenny,

Looks like that sums up everything. Maybe, this can be used as part of the checklist during handover or post acceptance.

Thx contributors.

jennypenny;781384 said:
my comments on the issues listed below:

So far these were the complaints:
1.Wind noise (cannot be fixed, probably due to large wing mirrors)
2.Poor sound proof (i think the CKD versions are noisier, the CBU ones were ok)
3.Knocking sound from steering or absorbers (poor quality control)
4.Jerks from eco start/ stop function (this is not really an issue, its a feature but a poorly executed feature)
5.Gear shifting not smooth (having too many speeds will always introduce this issue. 4 speeder in Vios we complain, 8 speeder in BMW we complain)
6.Air vent/flap refused to shut (not sure what this is)
7.Aircond loud (seriously?)
8.Left mirror unabel to adjust (poor quality, warranty fix)
9.Big gap between glass panel and meter cluster (cannot be fixed)
10.Jerky even when not on ASS mode (same as the gearbox issue)
11.Front lights fog up during raining day (poor quality, warranty fix)
12.Scratches on Wingard tinting (not really an issue, poor workmanship)
13.Black residual on tail pipe (if on 320d, what do you expect with Euro 2 diesel??)
14.Wiper cannot stop when raining, even if stop button off (poor quality, warranty fix)
15.Leaky windscreen (poor quality, warranty fix)
16.Headlamp loose and shaky (poor quality, warranty fix)

i wonder how widespread is the rusty seat frame issue. did any of you go under the seat to check. i read it in this forum weeks ago but didn't think anything of it, until i went down today to check and both seats have rusty frames.not one but many rust spots......

Mine has rusty spots on both seats...SA promised to change only the frames and not the seats. Frames ETA between 4-6 weeks. I checked several other cars in showroom too and its prominent in 3 series (ckd). Does not seems to happen to high end CBUs.

Expert opinion

Hi guys,
I've learnt a lot from reading the forum to the extent that has become unsure whether to get F30 or not
After months of researching and reading the forum, went to AB JB yesterday to have a look and might go for a test drive next Sat.
Just wondering whether it is worth all the trouble by getting a new F30 with all sorts of problem, or is it limited only to CKD but not to the CBU unit
The SA that we met yesterday informed that we can get CBU 328i with the same price of CKD, however no more CBU for 320i and 320d.
My concern is whether to go along with CKD F30 knowing it can give me lots of headache afterwards, or opting for CBU 328i, or forget about it and instead go for Audi A4
Really need your expert and wise opinion.
Much appreciated.

Hi dude, F30 and A4 both r really nice car.
Do u know that the CBU unit for 328i is less equipment than the CKD 328i?

my take is, any continental cars (current generation with all the electronic gizmos) will give you problems.

rewind 15 years when continental cars with little electonics, they last really well and relatively problem free.

i dont own the latest a4 so i cant comment on it. but what i can say is that if you coming from a Japanese car, you will find that continental cars are really problematic.

in terms of reliability (at least according to JD Powers survey):
1) Merc
2) BMW
3) Audi

but this survey is based on German versions. ours will be different again.

F30 is a good good car, handles well, powerful, and refined. cant have the cake and eat it.

JGY3551;781595 said:
Hi guys,
I've learnt a lot from reading the forum to the extent that has become unsure whether to get F30 or not
After months of researching and reading the forum, went to AB JB yesterday to have a look and might go for a test drive next Sat.
Just wondering whether it is worth all the trouble by getting a new F30 with all sorts of problem, or is it limited only to CKD but not to the CBU unit
The SA that we met yesterday informed that we can get CBU 328i with the same price of CKD, however no more CBU for 320i and 320d.
My concern is whether to go along with CKD F30 knowing it can give me lots of headache afterwards, or opting for CBU 328i, or forget about it and instead go for Audi A4
Really need your expert and wise opinion.
Much appreciated.
CBU 328i for the price of CKD 328i?Pre reg?Demo?Event/courtesy car?mileage?the colour/spec/interior colour you love?Well I guess you better test drive both the F30/A4 since the price range is almost the same,end of the day how you feel about the cars that will make you decide,no cars truly trouble free like Jenny said because nowadays lots of electrical and electronics so it boils down to luck...having said that I just love my F30!good luck hunting part of the fun of owning a new car..err you can always read A4 forums to find out more details from actual owners

Thanks Momoco,
Just called the SA, she claimed the specs and equipment are similar
So, can i trust them?
What more should i look for?
much aprreciated for ur reply

Thanks wolfdire,
that numerous questions never crossed my mind actually
she would email me the specs and details and maybe i would update u guys
surely i've gone through audi forum, but not much happening compared to bmw forum
more enlighting and merrier maybe

bro JGY3551. if u from JB, the showroom car already can see the rusted seat hinges as well as the unaligned centre trim.

after all, u can pm me to know me since i from johor as well.

Just to update the recommended fix for rusty seat rail is to remove te seat and "clean" the rust out.

Anyway I may write to BMW m to double check if it is indeed BMWM recommendation.

Quite sad for a quarter million car

Got a BMW White Card from BMW yesterday, what a piece of crap plastic. The things offered on the catalog is beyond my reach. haha.

Just wanted to keep everyone posted with the issue that I had on my car. I am still waiting for steering bracket and engine mounting to be replaced. It's been more than 2 weeks and the parts have not arrived from Germany, I bet it was delayed by the Octofest. BMW Malaysia and BMW AB Sg Besi has been keeping me posted with the progress. Others parts, ie the frame of the seats, bmw badge for the trunk, front windscreen and headlights are here.

The tinting on my car has been replaced too except for the front windscreen as I am waiting for it to be replaced.

ljsaw;782324 said:
Got a BMW White Card from BMW yesterday, what a piece of crap plastic. The things offered on the catalog is beyond my reach. haha.

Just wanted to keep everyone posted with the issue that I had on my car. I am still waiting for steering bracket and engine mounting to be replaced. It's been more than 2 weeks and the parts have not arrived from Germany, I bet it was delayed by the Octofest. BMW Malaysia and BMW AB Sg Besi has been keeping me posted with the progress. Others parts, ie the frame of the seats, bmw badge for the trunk, front windscreen and headlights are here.

The tinting on my car has been replaced too except for the front windscreen as I am waiting for it to be replaced.

Hi Bro, where did you send your car for this? Was it because of the knocking noise? Thanks.

willy5;782331 said:
Hi Bro, where did you send your car for this? Was it because of the knocking noise? Thanks.

Sent to AB Sg Besi. Yes, the knocking sound from front right suspension plus other matters, ie leaky front windscreen, the rusty seats, the unaligned panel on the dash, etc. The aftersales team wanted to change the steering bracket but I have insisted to change the engine mounting too. And requested the parts to be sent from Germany, not local or South Africa.

Thanks Bro, Please let us know if the problem is fixed when the parts are replaced.

Top Bottom