Calling out to DTUK CRD-T users.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
silverbullet said:
Nice diagram bro! Btw, the diagram is a bit unclear on what drives the turbo (turbine)? The hot exhaust gas. The turbine is connected to the compressor via a shaft, when the turbine spins, the compressor then spins and compresses the air from the intake. (I stand corrected, but hopefully this is still valid from what I've learned in my final year 10+ years ago)

Sorry my last sentence was meant to say:

Cooler exhaust gas ---> Less heat transferred to the turbocharger while spinning the turbine ---> Less heat transferred to the oil while cooling the turbos ---> Lower oil temp

Anyway heat is very subjective, the exhaust gases passing through the turbine section of the turbocharger can vary from 450°C to as high as 1000°C in extreme conditions. So imagine that under our closed hood, confined space and hot weather. How it will affect the overall engine temp without additional cooling. Again I'm just saying I got better oil temps after upgrading to a huge intercooler. That's all, don't have to agree with me or we can agree to disagree! Cheers and enjoy your D's. Peace out, this is no place for a petrolhead like me :D
Good stuff bro, I learned a lot! Like I said I seem to be more on the theoretical portion rather than actual. My experience when swapping to a larger intercooler didn't decrease engine oil temp but rather my turbo could hold the boost longer especially during mid range :)

The only question I have and I am thinking this logically.

Cooler exhaust gas = How does a cooler charged air equate to cooler exhaust gas? Exhaust gas is the by-product of the whole ignition process and the detonation in the chamber. Shouldn't the exhaust gas be a product of how hard the engine is pushed?

Also is your 335i having the additional oil cooler which BMW introduced in the 2007 models? Correct me if I am wrong, but your engine is cooled via the radiator which is a combination of coolant and water mix and the turbo charger is cooled via oil (hence the separate oil cooler http://blog.modbargains.com/why_bmw_n54_n55_need_an_oil_cooler/). Not too familiar with the N54/N55 engines but I am eyeing them in the near future :)

kenny7715 said:
With this explain why you are having a 500hp monster [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenny.. stock monster got no issue with heat.. that's why la he is upgrading..

And when is urs bro kenny? Cabutzzzz.....

kenny7715 said:
With this explain why you are having a 500hp monster [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]

_M_ said:
Kenny.. stock monster got no issue with heat.. that's why la he is upgrading..[emoji48]
Hahaha true true [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

From my understanding:
Bigger intercooler = lower intake air temp
Lower intake air temp = more oxygen
More oxygen = engine compensates by adding more fuel
More fuel/combustion = lower EGT temp
Lower EGT temp = lower overall engine temp.

For N54, you need a tune to make use of the bolt on upgraded components.

One more
More fuel/combustion = more powahhhhh

wideawake said:
From my understanding:
Bigger intercooler = lower intake air temp
Lower intake air temp = more oxygen
More oxygen = engine compensates by adding more fuel
More fuel/combustion = lower EGT temp
Lower EGT temp = lower overall engine temp.

For N54, you need a tune to make use of the bolt on upgraded components.

One more
More fuel/combustion = more powahhhhh
Based on the N54 engine diagram below:
ScreenShot2014-05-04at62327PM_zps2eac1478.png

The intercooler (number 16 in the diagram) only receives the compressed air from the turbo. It only mixes with the fresh intake air just before it reaches the engine through 7 and 14 (fresh air comes in at 10). So I think the statement should be that a larger intercooler (or more efficient intercooler) would equate to a cooler compressed air from the turbos.

Only thing I got confused is your statement, "More fuel/combustion = lower EGT temp".
After a quick google search I understand why I was confused. Learned that EGT temps for petrol and diesel engines are the total opposites! LOL

http://www.chiptuners.org/?p=11

What are the common causes of high EGT’s in a diesel engine?
-A mixture that is too rich (not enough air or too much fuel). This could be caused by a restricted flow in the exhaust or intake path, outside air temperatures being high or high altitudes
-Pump timing too advanced (injecting earlier causes the temps to rise).
-Low gear driving with large load on the engine (hauling trailers and caravans). Shifting down a gear can help there.

What are the common causes of high EGT’s in a petrol engine?
-Mixture too lean. Yes, the opposite of a diesel engine.
-Retarded timing causes higher EGT.

The air which is sucked from the atmosphere.

The compression process heats up the air. The always hot turbo also contributes to the higher air temperature before going through the intercooler.

wideawake said:
The air which is sucked from the atmosphere.

The compression process heats up the air. The always hot turbo also contributes to the higher air temperature before going through the intercooler.
Great thanks!

Slowly learning a bit more about the tuning then.

Top Bottom