BCM's Ultimate E90 Member Hangout.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
its funny how David has become the non-RFT campaigner. Folks who swap out to non-RFTs often gush over the change. It really improves the car's handling/ride comfort. I guess the RFTs really are half-cooked.

I'm really itching to upgrade to 19" M6 replicas on non-RFT tires soon, maybe this summer. I really want a smoother ride (even after the slight improvement going onto these 18" RFTs), the streets around here are really bad.

I picked up my car with 114 kms on the ODO (normal?) and have since spent another 40+ kms driving the car around. I haven't had the chance to read the manual as I spent 2 hours claying the car last night and another 1.5 hrs waxing it this morning LOL. The paint surface was rough when I got the car, although it looked OK. The sparkles came out and so did the really nice purplish tint of the Sparkling Graphite under daylight which does justice tot he color. Actually I find the color tone quite dull, but its the character of the SG (sparkles and purple tint) which makes it interesting. So.. that means that I got a free weight loss program with the car from maintaining the paintwork.

Anyway, the fuel consumption is HIGH. I am still running in the engine and havent gone past 3.5k rpms, but get an OBC reading of 20-23ltr/100kms. When I took delivery the reading was much lower @13+. Kinda odd but then again the commute has been in heavy traffic lately. Any of you remember your fuel consumption readings when the engine was being run in?

Also the RFTs are really harsh and based on the pressure readings on the door panel, they are under high recommended tyre pressures as well, well at least higher than my E46 on 18's staggered. The car came with Bridgestone RE050 RFTs but I have seen another CBU E90 325i waiting for delivery recently at AB shod with Pirelli RFTs. Curious what others got for their CBU 325is as well.

Anyway, I'll make it a point to read the manual tonight to find out more about the car. Had to flip to a few pages on re-initializing the tyre pressure readings as it indicated I had a flat on my way home from collecting the car. The PDI guys adjusted the pressure but didnt re-initialize the OBC. Man these electronics is more headache than good. I prefered the old traditional way of monitoring the tyre pressures instead of going through the hassle of all this re-initialization each time I top up air.

Anyway, so far so good. The beige interior is kinda wiered, in some pics its quite an ugly hue of brown/orange but in some pics I've seen its a pleasant beige/creamish color. Thankfully the beige of my car is more of the latter, but I am puzzled if there were different shades of beiges offered??

Just spoke to JPB on the phone and he's at AB Glenmarie now with our saleslady picking up his E92 coupe.... BTW I just completed the vkool elite installation at vkool center in PJ for the car. Managed to get a price of RM1750 through an agent as the AB saleslady was asking for RM2k and said she couldn't match the price of RM1750. If anyone managed to get it done cheaper for vkool elite on the E90, don't tell me LOL.

Anyway, if anyone wants the contact for this agent, you can drop me a PM.

Congrats, E46F! And JPB in advance! What a pair, getting their cars at the same time AGAIN! :)

Enjoy your new car smell and run-in. Save some of your time for the chicks though. :cool:

E46F, nice writeup and Congratulations once again! SG is one honking color!!

It's a good idea to clay the car early one before applying wax/sealant treatments. Eventhough its a new car, a lot of debris/impurities is piled on during transit, storage etc etc.

Fuel consumption will get better, the first few tank fulls go by fast. We've all been there before. Just stick to your break-in.

Actually 114km is somewhat high. It might be due to shuttling the car between places or heavens forbid some test drive miles. You can ask your CA about that, the very least it should warrant a free gift. I had about 4 miles at delivery.

Yes the RFTs are harsh and I hear you about the tire pressures, I am sure they're not helping. The RE050 have a pretty low tread wear rating.

Reinitialization isn't too bad, just a couple push of the OBC stalks and you're all set.

There's only one beige (both leatherette and leather has the same tone). It might be due to different lighting in various photos. Also the E92's cream beige is lighter hence the name.

Sorry but could not resist, Vkool Elite can be done for our E90 for RM 1650.

Congrats E46Fanatic. Quickly go and change your RFT away back to normal tyres and you will definitely love your car more.

And for your info, the lowest we can get V-Kool Elite for e90 is RM 1,600.00. I had mine V-Kool V40 (which is of higher grade than Elite) at RM 2,000.00.

Good job E46F and Juan PowerBlow! Envy you guys with the new E90s.

BMW forever :)

danc;209917 said:
Sorry but could not resist, Vkool Elite can be done for our E90 for RM 1650.
danc,

where can i get this Vkool elite for 1650 at?
thx

It was September 2001 when E46F collected his E46 325i barely two weeks before me. Now, it's April 2007 (boy, time flies!!) and I collected my car 24 hours after E46F. My fren made a wise choice with the E90 325i now that he is happily married with a kid whereas I'm same old same old, still a swinging single (some things don't change after all).

I just spent 2 hours pouring thru the manual in my pyjamas but came to realise that all the jargon was quite difficult to understand or remember unless you're in your car, applying the instructions step by step. I picked up quite a few things much easier and have come to appreciate the huge advancement in the E90s compared to our ex-E46.

I collected my car with only 7 kms and this stands at 50+ kms now having taken the longer routes home. I'm pleased to report that having spent the last 3 weeks plus in the 218 bhp 325i, the 190 bhp 323i doesn't feel that much less powerful. Despite pottering around below 3.5k rpms, the pick-up was quite adequate, comparable to my ex-E46 325i. That's quite a relieve!! I'm a bit disappointed though that the manual doesn't state any stats for the E92 323i. The Technical Data section only reports from E92 325i onwards! Why ah?

Oh, I'm also very pleased with my colour, the Arctic! It's unique and dynamic qualities is something quite new to me. The real icing on the cake though is the Grey (which looks like white) interior. It makes the car seem special. So does the black sparkly trims (wassit called again?!).

I was tionged quite a bit on the way home by a souped up Vios and Sentra and an E-Class but I guess having made such a huge commitment on this car, they didn't get the better of me as I pottered around below 3.5k rpms. I wonder though what's the correct way to run-in the car.

My mileage is now about 16.3L/100kms and I guess this can be expected. I used to run below 13L/100kms in my ex-E46. The engine seems a bit hot after driving though with even a hint of burning smell but a friend assured me that this is typical of brand new cars. The temp gauge seemed OK.

There's so much more questions I wanna ask but I'm totally knackered from today's very pleasant events. I'll leave this for another day.

Just one last thing... Energy? So how?!!

Awesome JP!

As I mentioned to you, I doubt you'd miss the hp advantage of the 325i and I am pleased to know I was right.

Not much info on the E92 323i. The only figures I can think of is the canada spec base model 323i. Your engine code is N52B25A. Basically the 325i has the multi-stage intake and software over your car/engine. And before you ask, these parts are not easily obtained for retrofit.

Be sure to post pics of your interior, Jade grey is stunning and should be easier to maintain over regular grey namely as most of the dash, console and door panels are in black. Your interior trim is the basic black trim I think. I haven't seen this as this is not available here. We have standard choice of burl, poplar, alu and grey poplar trim. I know a lot of folks love the basic black trim as it looks like the exclusive Individual Piano Black trim.

Run in? As long as you vary your revs, keep her below 4k RPM and not exceed 100-120mph you should be alright. City driving (moderate traffic) is actually preferred over constant speed highway driving. Don't forget to go easy on the brakes and tires for the first few hundred miles.

As was concerned by E46F, the first tank fulls will drain fast, but fuel consumption should improve as the car breaks-in. The burning smell is just excess cosmoline burning off.

Congrats to JPB and E46F for finally getting your new rides. :D

danc...waiting for your response on where we can get V-Kool Elite installed at Rm1650 ;)

I realized my mistake was telling the vkool agent that my saleslady offered Rm2k and if he could go lower... sigh. Also realized I topped up the tyre pressures for the high passenger load readings and lowered it back to normal settings which improved the ride a little. Still quite harsh for only 17's and normal suspension IMHO.

As I learn more about the car from the owners manual and discover little gems I begin to appreciate the car more. Its true that BMW is a engineer's car and a lot of technical innovation and thought process went into the car. My wife on the other hand appreciates the car for 1) the rear sunblind and 2) a date display on the radio/clock which wasn't there in my ex-E46.

As I clock more kms on the car, it definitely feels more agile compared to the E46, a little more go-kartish due to more direct steering feel and 'lower center of gravity' feeling. The E46 was more comfortable and more of a cruiser, and felt like it had a higher center of gravity from the roll from weight shifts during rapid lane changes. The E90 feels direct, agile and lower to the ground although my E46 on M sports suspension probably sat lower. The thick steering wheel is also a joy to grab, and I like the way the steering rapidly becomes heavy during higher speed sweepers. Makes you go .. "cool!!". Brakes are also kinda funky, as the brake assist is more pronounced compared to the E46 which is meant to dillute the feeling of brake fade. Also liked the idea of how the brakes automatically pulse during rainy weather to clean off the water film between the pads and the brake discs while driving (I previously did this manually during higher speed driving in the rain) to ensure that the brakes are predictable in bad conditions.

My gripe so far is how SG looks at night... which is dull as it doesn't show off its unique characteristics without good lighting. Also the floor mats are beige which is gonna be a real pain to maintain and will look very bad shape in a few months down the line. Anyone of you with light color floor mats have swapped them out for black ones? How much does BMW charge for E90 sedan floor mats btw? Lastly the car looks like its seated quite tall and big, and looks "stock" which it is. I told myself this time around I'll save some $$$ and drive it "stock", but the thoughts of BMW staggered 18's, M sports suspension ala the SG/Beige 330i pics in the BMW brochure is starting to get to me. Crap!!

Finally we have a member..... oppsss... not member, it's a commitee member who owns an e92! Very good yeahhhhhhh

JPB,

I am sure that if you search the E90post forum, you will see different thoughts about breaking in the car. As for me, well I will always follow what the manufacturer recommends.

Agree with our Sifu (KL2DC), don't forget to break-in the brakes as well.

You mentioned that your car comes with a temp gauge. Hmm, I tot it was only on the 335. I myself prefer to have a temp gauge than the fuel consumption.

Rookie, I got my tint through my favourite audio shop, if you like just PM me your email and will let you know. But didn't David mentioned that he could get it at RM1600? Never go direct to VKool as their pricing is meant to protect their dealers. I too got my car tinted at the VKool HQ at PJ. I had to go there twice as there was some smearing on my front screen. In terms of performance, yes VKool is good, but even after redoing the front, now I noticed that there are some waviness on certain parts of the film causing a slight distortion. Too lazy now to go and redo it, will wait till 2 -3 years time and get it changed or might just redo it if it gets worst. So it really depends on who does the tint. I have a friend who did his W211 at the KL branch and he too had to go back to retint. Now a days I noticed that they use a lot of foreigners, just not sure about their skills.

Hi E46F, like I said earlier, quickly egt away with the RFT and you will feel so much different and love your e90 more. By running back on normal tyres, e90 will feel much comfort and better than e46. Yes, there is a need to change to 18" wheels.

To do it at RM 1,600.00, I can recommend you to a shop in Taman Maluri. It is just a normal accessories shop but they do sell a lot of things related to BMW. That guy was telling me that the price for V-Kool Elite is RM 1,600.00.

Ah IC. Yea doing vkool at 3rd party accessory shops could be cheaper. I did my E46 at GS Auto in 222 back then. It just came with a GS Auto receipt saying it was Vkool. No official vkool certification that it was all round elite, and these days imitation vkool films are rampant. Also they save a bit and gave me a black stripe on the top of the front windscreen.

So for the Jazz, I did it at vkool center, and it came with the assurance and better workmanship (in late 2004) as seen how close they cut the film to the edge of the glass window compared to the E46. I haven't inspected the workmanship this time around with the E90 as I can't wind down the windows yet until sometime tomorrow :).

Top Bottom