BCM's Ultimate E90 Member Hangout.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Sorry to hear about the oil-leak problem danc. Well, at least it's still under warranty, and I doubt it's due to spirited driving.

Hi,, I had my 1st 10,000km service 2 mths ago, and I need to top up engine oil at 12,000km as indicated..then at 14,500km..I top up another 1little engine oil again..is this normal?? I have a E90 ,325i...

Juan Powerblow;208661 said:
If there's one fundamental conclusion I can derive, it is this... the E90 is a phenomenal quantum leap from the E46! It didn't seem so with short test drives I took previously but after 3 weeks of "ownership" and getting really acquianted with the E90, I think E46 owners who upgrade to the E90 would wished they did this sooner!

Are you sure Juan Powerblow? You are making me rethink of my RX8 and Civic 2.0 decision in Spore (I am currently hunting for a RX8 in Spore and may consider a Civic if delivery time is shortened). I understand that the Body-in-white and chassis of the E90 are similiar to the E46. That was one of the reasons I am not crazy about about the E90. Perhaps BMW have made improvements to the powertrain.

regards,
energy

energy;209045 said:
Are you sure Juan Powerblow? You are making me rethink of my RX8 and Civic 2.0 decision in Spore (I am currently hunting for a RX8 in Spore and may consider a Civic if delivery time is shortened). I understand that the Body-in-white and chassis of the E90 are similiar to the E46. That was one of the reasons I am not crazy about about the E90. Perhaps BMW have made improvements to the powertrain.

regards,
energy

Yes, I'm sure! And that conclusion is based on my experience after more than 3 weeks and 3,000 kms of relinquishing my E46 for the loaner E90 (stock standard). The E46, as accomplished as it was in its hey day, now feels like a smaller car i.e. like a Civic compared to a faster Accord. I'm also quite surprised by this finding but I suppose not everyone can or would upgrade from a 3er to a 5er, so BMW must have worked hard to maintain their market for those upgrading from E46 to E90. So, put the looks aside and drive it observantly and tell us if you feel the same way I do. Best for everyone in this thread to hear from others too. So, anyone here who upgraded from E46 to E90, please share your experience!

Devil,

That doesn't sound normal to me, needing to top up 1 liter every 2,000 km. Thats way too high.

Is the White-Body and chassis of the E46 same as the E90? I don' think so....

Just to keep all updated, the cost to do tire alignment and balancing at AB will cost you RM 340! recommended to do it every 20,000km or once a year. I remember when I was doing that for RM 100+ and I was already saying it was expensive.

So what are the common things to look out for in running and maintaining the E90?

1) Engine oil level top ups
2) Active steering sensor
3) Flywheel oil seal
4) Door creaks

Anything else which commonly goes wrong with the E90?

E46Fanatic;209074 said:
So what are the common things to look out for in running and maintaining the E90?

1) Engine oil level top ups
2) Active steering sensor
3) Flywheel oil seal
4) Door creaks

Anything else which commonly goes wrong with the E90?

Yeah. I was about to ask this question too! I remember my first year of owning my CKD ex-E46 was fraught with niggles which were all resolved under warranty but all the hassles were quite annoying. I had a list of 16 defects which meant the car was out of action for 2 weeks! E46F and I are hoping it's different with CBU units.

Devilkl;209018 said:
Hi,, I had my 1st 10,000km service 2 mths ago, and I need to top up engine oil at 12,000km as indicated..then at 14,500km..I top up another 1little engine oil again..is this normal?? I have a E90 ,325i...

History of my e90 325i engine oil top up:

Took car last year August and 1st top up at 3,466 kms. Subsequent as follows:

8,662 kms, 10,642 kms, 12,242 kms, 15,705 kms and 19,030 kms.

According to AB, this is normal. They did inspection on my engine oil sensor and did a compression test on my engine and shows no leaking or any abnormal. So they conclude that it is absolutely normal. That's all.

apart from frequent engine oil top up, everything is fine with my car so far.

Oh,

I have never top up my engine oil ever since till now with the oil leak problem. Heard from the service advisor at AB that the flywheel oil seal leak was a common problem on some 525 (N52 engine) and there was a recall for this in Malaysia. So all 325 owners out there, watch out for this!

Eh E46F, as I recall, didn't we have the same problem with our E46s when it was new? I remember I used to check oil levels every week. There was no leak but we had to do quite a bit of top-ups between oil services in the first year?

Juan Powerblow;208661 said:
!

There was one gripe though and that's engine noise! At high speeds, the N.V.H. seemed fallable and the engine noise just a bit too much. I'm not sure if it would have been better with newer tyres, the CSC2 on my car is already pretty worn out.

Today, I experienced one of Malaysia's notorious super thunderstorms on the NKVE and again, I was mightily impressed by the E90's composure, doddling at about 80 kmh seemed easy relative to a new E-Class and the recently older model S-Class which had to give way!

If there's one fundamental conclusion I can derive, it is this... the E90 is a phenomenal quantum leap from the E46! It didn't seem so with short test drives I took previously but after 3 weeks of "ownership" and getting really acquianted with the E90, I think E46 owners who upgrade to the E90 would wished they did this sooner!

Good to hear that you are having a blast with the E90.

As you have mentioned, a short drive wouldnt do justice to the car. After having spent 10 days driving it, I would say its a quantum leap over the e46 in terms of driving dynamics and creature comforts. AS for the NVH, I believe its the worn out RFTs, I took the car to the KLIA highway as well (and the tires were pretty worn as well) and the noise was quite audible. Later on a separate trip with some new Bridgestone Potenza, the noise was no longer audible.

I think the E90 325 M sport would be better in terms of driving dynamics with the M suspension. As it is, the handling is awesome.:)

Juan Powerblow;209084 said:
Eh E46F, as I recall, didn't we have the same problem with our E46s when it was new? I remember I used to check oil levels every week. There was no leak but we had to do quite a bit of top-ups between oil services in the first year?

Engine oil top ups! Sounds like a Rotary engine issue too ;)

BMW forever but thinking about RX8...

With Sporean fuel prices, you sure onot about getting RX8?! I got a few RX8 friends here in KL already complaining like mad!

I think RX8's consumption is similiar to our old E46 325i. Anyway, I have a few Sporean friends who has installed the '3/4 tank solution' in some Johor Bahru car accessories shop, which can be activated via remote control :)

ALBundy;209088 said:
Good to hear that you are having a blast with the E90.

As you have mentioned, a short drive wouldnt do justice to the car. After having spent 10 days driving it, I would say its a quantum leap over the e46 in terms of driving dynamics and creature comforts. AS for the NVH, I believe its the worn out RFTs, I took the car to the KLIA highway as well (and the tires were pretty worn as well) and the noise was quite audible. Later on a separate trip with some new Bridgestone Potenza, the noise was no longer audible.

I think the E90 325 M sport would be better in terms of driving dynamics with the M suspension. As it is, the handling is awesome.:)

For those who have not switch their RFT out from their car back to normal tyres..... I strongly advise you to do so.

I have switch the RFT on my e90 325i and I can tell you.... it's superb! The ride is not harsh at all. The comfort is very much improved! Better performance too as RFT are heavier than normal tyres. I have switch from 17" RFT to 18" Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) and.... wow....... wow..... so good!

energy;209141 said:
I think RX8's consumption is similiar to our old E46 325i. Anyway, I have a few Sporean friends who has installed the '3/4 tank solution' in some Johor Bahru car accessories shop, which can be activated via remote control :)

I thot the Spore police has some kind of fancy x ray machines on the car everytime pass by i go to JB. They can see your fuel level ?

I dont recommend this kinda of thing esp in Spore. Its really not worth it. If want to do also better check out the penalties coz Spore is non-negotiable. If fine, not so bad....

No worries lar, my Sporean friends travel in and out 2-3 times a week, saved more than SGD10k+ PA on fuel and supplies. Moreover, most Sporeans are like Jinjangs with 1st world country infrastructure. See how they all rush into MRTs before arriving passengers get out of the train. Dont see that in Japan, Korea etc... ;)

David Yong;209172 said:
For those who have not switch their RFT out from their car back to normal tyres..... I strongly advise you to do so.

I have switch the RFT on my e90 325i and I can tell you.... it's superb! The ride is not harsh at all. The comfort is very much improved! Better performance too as RFT are heavier than normal tyres. I have switch from 17" RFT to 18" Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) and.... wow....... wow..... so good!

what rims are you running now?

Top Bottom