BCM's Ultimate E90 Member Hangout.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
1) Best to do an unscheduled, pay out of your own pocket oil change at half-interval...about 7,500 mile point should so it. The scheduled maintenance is about 15k-16k miles.

Its not the issue of the oil is the particulates...it wouldn't hurt. BMW spec oil for N52 is LL-04 spec (BMW spec Long Life oil spec). BMW AG sets oil requirements and does the oil approval tests.

2) There was an old ipod interface kit that uses that awkward extra screen. I forgot what it was but US spec cars wasn't able to use that kit because of standard telephone pre-wiring (or something like that). Both kits will render your disc changer useless.

3) I'd wait out for the new MOST ipod kit but recommend another 6months min wait until they get the software issues sorted out.

pkw88 said:
It must be true. I asked because when I got my car, the service interval flashed up at 10 000 km. After covering 3 000 km, the interval is now at 7 000 km. I haven't looked into the OBC to check which bit of the car is requiring a service at 10 000 km. I was told though that this is covered by the service inclusive contract.

pkw,

How come your service interval indicates 10000 km?? Mine still states 25000 km on the OBC.

I was told that the first service is 10000kms and subsequently on every 25000 kms and we don't have to fork out a single cent for each service.

If the service indicator requests service, then its covered....

The indicator is based on multiple variables including how many fill-ups, how hard you drive etc....

Btw how often are you guys topping up your oil? I just did a 2nd 1 quart top up at 10,800 miles (the first being sometime at 5,500 miles). I also just did my first coolant top up at 10,600 miles. My first windshield wiper fluid top up was at 3k miles.

KL2DC said:
If the service indicator requests service, then its covered....

The indicator is based on multiple variables including how many fill-ups, how hard you drive etc....

Btw how often are you guys topping up your oil? I just did a 2nd 1 quart top up at 10,800 miles (the first being sometime at 5,500 miles). I also just did my first coolant top up at 10,600 miles. My first windshield wiper fluid top up was at 3k miles.

My OBC also indicates 25,000KM at the begining, and now it states 18,000KM. My car has already reached 16,000KM, so should be going for service pretty soon.

I check my oil level every morning, and it has been indicating half-full for the past 1 year, so I have never topped-up the oil.

As for wiper fluid, I check the levels every week when I wash the car, and so far I have only topped-up about twice.

Wow!! - you guys are a disciplined lot ..... me check nothing - just put petrol, check the tyres every two weeks and go ..... !!!

danc said:
pkw,

How come your service interval indicates 10000 km?? Mine still states 25000 km on the OBC.

danc, it's true! Just checked my OBC (service section), indicates oil service at 10 000 (now 7 000). This will be covered by the service-inclusive contract, I guess since it is scheduled on the OBC.

Equalizer said:
Wow!! - you guys are a disciplined lot ..... me check nothing - just put petrol, check the tyres every two weeks and go ..... !!!

:D :D My kinda guy!! :D :D

Equalizer said:

Not that disciplined lah...I only check my tyres once a month :D

pkw,

How come yours show service at 10000km? Did you do any software update etc? When you 1st got your car did it show 10000 or 25000?

David,

Can you confirm that the 10000km service is as per OBC or as per recommendation of AB?

As far as I was told, service as per OBC. I was thinking of doing an oil change at 10000km at my own cost. Quoted RM530 all in at AB. AB is using supposedly some special Shell Helix formulation, I suppose it should conform to LL-04 spec but not sure. Can BMW confirm this? Just wondering.

On a side note I am half hearted with the competency of the AB center in Segambut. When I asked some tech question the service advisor was giving me wrong info etc.

Rookie,

If you are running on RFTs and want to keep them for as long as possible better check tire pressure at least every 2 weeks. I notice my tire lose pressure every 2 weeks or so. Under inflated tires wear out unevenly and very quickly and also contributes to higher FC. Just sharing

pkw88 said:
Shuks, I saw that umbrella in AB Sg Besi, no price tag! So I asked "How much?" Glad I was sitting down when the answer came back - RM 500!!!! :eek: :eek:

:eek: !@#$%???!!! You're talking about the small umbrella attached to the right wall of the front passenger's legroom, rite? What a rip-off! Dah la small umbrella... and if you don't set it down properly, the umbrella bones will bengkok if not break... then cannot use oredy rite?

Might as well get the free one from Shell or Esso or something... but if you asked me, I'd rather get wet. It's only water. Haha

Kind regards,

Shuks

P/S: No wonder la no price tag... coz the thing is, "PRICELESS"! :p

danc said:
If you are running on RFTs and want to keep them for as long as possible better check tire pressure at least every 2 weeks.

Would like to solicit opinions from you guys on RFTs - I suspect that the RFTs are the main culprit spoiling the "BMW ride" because they do feel very hard and unyielding.

Has anyone changed to normal tyres and if so, can you share whether the change has helped improve the quality of your ride?? Many thanks!! :)

Equalizer said:
Would like to solicit opinions from you guys on RFTs - I suspect that the RFTs are the main culprit spoiling the "BMW ride" because they do feel very hard and unyielding.

Has anyone changed to normal tyres and if so, can you share whether the change has helped improve the quality of your ride?? Many thanks!! :)

Paging for Spaceman...your feedback required

My OBC states 25,000kms when I took the car but I was informed by AB to send my car in for service at the first 10,000kms. Subsequently the next time I need to send in will be at 25,000kms, then 50,000kms, then 75,000kms....so on.... every 25,000kms interval. According to AB, the first time service should be 10,000kms although the OBC states 25,000kms and this first 10,000kms is cover under the service inclusive.

My engine oil consumption is high. I have added 1 litre when my mileage was 3,500kms and now the level is slightly below the middle point and the mileage is 8,300kms only. Have checked with AB on this and they said it's normal for a new engine.

David,

Thanks for the info, which AB or service center has mentioned this. If you don't mind I would like to call them as well and ask if I am entitled for the 10000km service as well.

Cheers

hey, long time didnt come in :p
How are you guys? ^_^

Well, kindly refer to the "Owner's handbook for Vehicle" -> page 18
Under the Opening and closing: from the outside -> Unlocking, quoted as,
"Press the 'up' button. The interior light and the doors' ground lights * come on. Outside mirrors that were folded in are automatically folded out"

Just curious, what is the meaning of "outside mirrors that were folded in are automatically folded out."? Outside mirror refers to the side mirror? and what does the "fold in and fold out" means? I never knew this car can make the outside mirror fold either in or out. Can it?

Danc; check it with AB Glenmarie. I bought my car there and both the salesperson & sales advisor told me so.

Uchan; e90 here are not with the side mirror folding. Therefore, you can forget about this feature. We have to manually fold in the side mirrors :(

i have checked with Ab of penang n was told that the first service due either 25000km or the service light up. Hence, would appreciate if i can get some feed back or confirmation from u all at KL so that i could recheck with Ab pg.

as for the top up.....Ab of penang told me that i only need top up when the engine light was lighted....is this true kah.....pls advise..tq.

fayehong said:
as for the top up.....Ab of penang told me that i only need top up when the engine light was lighted....is this true kah.....pls advise..tq.

Oil top up is solicited when you get the little warning/exclamation mark. A quick check in your oil monitor will show you the words '+1 Qts' (convert to litres). Its important to top up within 150 miles from the warning. The N52 holds 7qts which is a lot. BMW NA uses BMW spec Castrol LL-04 5W-30 here. For topping up, the manual recommended Mobil 1 5W-30, but there was some confusion if this is LL-04 compliant or not. Apparently not all 5W-30 synthetics are created equal. A BMW factory insider told me to use Mobil 1 0W-40 (viscosity is closer to Euro 5W-30, BMW spec) for top up and thats what I used (I didn't have time to go to the dealer for 1 qt). But next visit, I will stock up on BMW Oil.

David Yong said:
My engine oil consumption is high. I have added 1 litre when my mileage was 3,500kms and now the level is slightly below the middle point and the mileage is 8,300kms only. Have checked with AB on this and they said it's normal for a new engine.

Stop driving so hard! LOL :D

On a more serious note, that's what my SA told me. With such an extended oil change interval we become more aware of oil consumption vs. other cars on short intervals.

Top Bottom