520d or Merc E300 Bluetec Diesel Hybrid... which will you buy?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

F10 CREW

Clueless Newbie
I am planning to get a second wife...as in I am now planning to buy the next family car that will be with me for the next 5 years or so. Shall be used as a transport for wife, 2 kids and a domestic helper. My average mileage a month is about 3000km.

Due to the love of high torque and Bugatti Veyron is out of reach, after breaking the piggy bank, it's down to the final contenders. Either a 520d or a Merc E300 Bluetec Hybrid Diesel.

I am sure most of you are already familiar with the 520d details and specs. Pricing for the 520d is RM354800 while the E300 is estimated about RM330k to RM360K. Delivery for the E300 starts in April 2015.

Additional tech available on the E300 over the 520d are like Collision Prevention Assist, Rear Seat Entertainment System, Active Parking Assist, Paddle Shifters on Steering, 18 inch AMG wheels, DVD... just to name a few.

Tech available on the 520d over the E300 are like 8 speed ZF gearbox, Comfort, normal, sport and sport + modes, I Touch system (Merc still the rotary dial). Also, its a proven diesel unit with people on this forum claiming it to be so.

Looks wise, both have their own beauty. Home minister (aka the wife) claims that the E300 is better looking and more luxurious. Happy wife happy life??

From the many videos that I have watch online, driving dynamics I am sure the 520d will win hands down. Comfort on the other hand, I think it should be the E300. I am like torn between two lovers.

Guys and perhaps any gals in this forum, please give me your valuable inputs on whom should I take on my second wife? A BMW 520d or a Mercedes E300 Bluetec Diesel Hybrid? Thanks in advance.

Yours Faithfully.

My guess the responses u'd get here wld most probably be biased towards the roundel. Yes in general, the roundel is synonym with sport, handling n performance while the pointed star is associated with comfort n luxury.

But u summed up best with "HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE".

All thr best in making ur wife happy bro.... :)

I think it boils down to how often do you drive with family in tow. If it's just only on weekends, I would take the Bimmer since I'm going to be driving it alone most of the time. If it's pretty frequent, the Merc gets my vote.

But then again, there's the wife. So, all the best in making the right choice.

Its amazing the power of the home minister has over the guys! Thanks for the advice. Going for test drive tomorrow to get a feel of the Mercs handling. Sales Advisor quite cute actually. Sigh... home minister tagging along for the drive.

Was informed that the Bluetec E300 fully booked with a very long waiting list .

Hi Fifty5,

No E300 test drive available. That will only be available sometime in November when they launch the unit. Test drive will be given by invitation to those whom have booked the unit and of course to the press. Delivery is forecasted end March at the earliest or in April.

When to test drive the E250 as that's the closest they have that will match the E300 in terms of handling, power and specification. Was informed that the E300 will of course be more powerful and better equipped than the E250. Lets see.

Hi Cafee,

They are still taking in the orders. Booking fee is minimum RM4000.00 . If you want to book one, PM me and I give you the cute sales advisor number. Hahaha.

Yours Faithfully (YF) said:
Hi Fifty5,

No E300 test drive available. That will only be available sometime in November when they launch the unit. Test drive will be given by invitation to those whom have booked the unit and of course to the press. Delivery is forecasted end March at the earliest or in April.

When to test drive the E250 as that's the closest they have that will match the E300 in terms of handling, power and specification. Was informed that the E300 will of course be more powerful and better equipped than the E250. Lets see.

Hi Cafee,

They are still taking in the orders. Booking fee is minimum RM4000.00 . If you want to book one, PM me and I give you the cute sales advisor number. Hahaha.
Hi, just wanted to ask if you know the boot size of the Merc hybrid? I was looking at A6 previously but the hybrid's boot just turned me off totally. Now waiting to collect my 520D :67:

Hi Smasher,

According to sales advisor, same as the E250. However that being said, I think the 520d boot is bigger. You made a good choice. the 520d is an excellent car. Congrats bro.

As we know, there was a substantial tax exemption on the Audi A6 Hybrid. After checking on some of the used car sites online, it seems that the price for the Audi A6 Hybrid are maintaining a good price. Almost similar to their purchase price of RM280k.Lowest I have seen is about RM260K and that was for a 1 year old car.

The latest tax exemption shall befall on the Merc E300. The question ...Is getting this E300 hybrid a safe bet?

Sales advisor was mentioning that early Dec 2014 scheduled launch! Shall wait n see.

Hi Fifty5,

I got fed up of waiting and have already bought a 520d Alpine White. Asked SA to process my deposit refund. I myself is currently curious on the specs and pricing of the E300. Messaged SA on Christmas eve, she mentioned not launched and pricing also not out.

The E300 BlueTec in Germany is running on 6 cylinders but here in Malaysia, we are getting a 4 cylinder unit. No idea why. Saw the unit during the last Thai Auto show, looks like a regular E250 with only the badging making it different. However, every country carry a different spec.

I will follow up and let you know once its launched. In the mean time, enjoying my 520d. Cheers!

Thanks YF.Glad youre having fun with the f10.Was told that MB clatter is louder than bmw!

I think you will not lose much money if you buy the E300 as the price will shoot up after the tax exemption is removed. Like all A6H owners are not losing much.

Kuntakinte will have a better picture on the resale value as he has an A6H and now sold it for a 520d. Last I heard he still keeping the A6H.

Yours Faithfully (YF) said:
I think you will not lose much money if you buy the E300 as the price will shoot up after the tax exemption is removed. Like all A6H owners are not losing much.
Kuntakinte will have a better picture on the resale value as he has an A6H and now sold it for a 520d. Last I heard he still keeping the A6H.
Haha, last I checked I do not have a money plant in my garden. The a6h was sold prior to getting the 520d and for me, I couldn't be happier. I'm not saying this because I've gotten the oil burner which I always had a high regard for since my e90 320d days.

The hybrid suffers from a series of perceptions, some good others not so, notably......

Perception of resale value
Yes and no, Yes, only if you had been an early buyer and decided to sell subsequently when the wait list still stretches long. By the time one and a half years into ownership, most owners will realise that it's over rated and drives so-so, many units will start appearing. Do not be misled into what owner's posting of asking prices in mudah. To put things in perspective, my mudah ad attracted all of 2 viewings and 5 enquiries in 2 months. Offers came in the 240-250+ bracket while I advertised for 275k. Car dealers were offering 215-220k for it.

Perception of massive fuel savings
There are some savings, yes. Possibly around 20-30% compared to its pure petrol cousins but only if one drives sedately like a hybrid should be driven ie coasting, pulse and glide techniques etc otherwise, any spiritual drives will quickly negate it. Comparatively, the BMW diesel does a better job with no effort. Obviously, the merc diesel hybrid looks good on paper to achieve what the petrol hybrid lacks but then again, it beings me to the next perception and one that will be the most damaging.
Plus, I also didn't like that everytime I get into the car, my hybrid driving hat takes over and any sustained hard driving will call up the guilty conscience

Perception of obscenely expensive battery pack replacement
It is well known that audi quoted 40k for the hybrid pack in the event of replacement. The pack itself is reliable and expected to last the lifetime of the car but as we know, like life, shit happens. So, if one encounters a serious accident like a rear sodomy and the pack suffers irreparable damage, you better latch on to a sugar mummy. Insurance will cover, you say? In accidents, sure but what if you experience a heavy flood like nowadays and your car is half submerged and you forgot to add special perils coverage to your comprehensive policy? Again, Call sugar mummy!
And what if at the end of the warranty period, you are the unlucky one who suffers a battery pack failure? Well, you better fake an accident and try to submit a claim cos you just got poorer by a few tens of thousands of k.

So, yeah, my objective assessment and main considerations for selling off the a6h. The value will continue to fall and by the mid to end of next year where the warranty is quickly run down, values will plummet very quickly. While the 520d values will fall in tandem, I'll be a happier long term camper with it than the a6h.

So, to those considering the e300, good luck. Get it quickly, enjoy the ride, sell it off early if you are not impressed with it and yeah, you should hardly lose much else, you could be stuck with an overrated machine that no one wants

Hi kuntakinte,

Thanks for the feedback. Currently observing how many km I can rack up with my heavy foot on the 520d. Let's see how it goes.

Hi fifty5,

Let's observe the specs and pricing for the E300. Should be fun. Whatever car you decide on, it should be a car that you like in and out. Happy shopping.

Top Bottom