320D Engine upgrade

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Thanks to Albundy, gameover and wuk51 for demonstrating their cars' abilities. It was really fun to find out what these modded cars can do.

The official upgrade pack was smooth and was certainly more responsive than my standard car. It was shod with a 19" tyre which was surprisingly comfy considering its thinness. It also sounds better than the standard car.

The tuned boxed car felt punchier and the influence of the mod was more obvious compared with the official car. I was in gameovers car and we can feel the rush when all the extra power was released :top: We can also easily remove the mod if we want to.

Thanks to Docray for making the comparison test possible :top:

Sorry had to leave early was very tired after a long weekend.

Looking at the dyno chart, I think the performance kitted car will be faster once the car is on the move. The tuned box shifts the power curve to the left with a steeper initial climb and hence the 'punchy' feel. However after 2750rpm, the power begins to decline and beyond 3500rpm the Hp is lower than a stock 320d. If I were WUK51, I would drive in 'D' mode to take advantage of the tuned box and upshifted earlier.

Perhaps once one of you have that the performance kit fitted, then can do a shootout :)

I am very inclined to do the performance kit upgrade since it's official BMW kit. Also, it's kitted with a bigger intercooler and fan too as higher temperatures from increased performance is the number 1 reliability killer in engines and gearboxes.

When are they making the kit officially available? Is it only available at quill or the rest too?

Between the 2 tuning boxes, I will choose dtuk since it's dual channel and has been used and well reviewed in the BMW uk forums. From website, it's about 500gbp - a fraction of the cost of the BMW kit. Again, my concern is the extra heat generated by the increased output hence efficiency of standard components in managing this. I guess if there is no prolonged hard driving, it should be ok

zhul;649491 said:
Thanks to Albundy, gameover and wuk51 for demonstrating their cars' abilities. It was really fun to find out what these modded cars can do.

The official upgrade pack was smooth and was certainly more responsive than my standard car. It was shod with a 19" tyre which was surprisingly comfy considering its thinness. It also sounds better than the standard car.

The tuned boxed car felt punchier and the influence of the mod was more obvious compared with the official car. I was in gameovers car and we can feel the rush when all the extra power was released :top: We can also easily remove the mod if we want to.

Thanks to Docray for making the comparison test possible :top:

My pleasure,zhul!

ALBundy;649508 said:
Sorry had to leave early was very tired after a long weekend.

Looking at the dyno chart, I think the performance kitted car will be faster once the car is on the move. The tuned box shifts the power curve to the left with a steeper initial climb and hence the 'punchy' feel. However after 2750rpm, the power begins to decline and beyond 3500rpm the Hp is lower than a stock 320d. If I were WUK51, I would drive in 'D' mode to take advantage of the tuned box and upshifted earlier.

Perhaps once one of you have that the performance kit fitted, then can do a shootout :)

Thanks Albundy for accomodating us despite a long hectic weekend for you at the BMW performance Day in Seong Hoe,Malacca!

kuntakinte;649540 said:
I am very inclined to do the performance kit upgrade since it's official BMW kit. Also, it's kitted with a bigger intercooler and fan too as higher temperatures from increased performance is the number 1 reliability killer in engines and gearboxes.

When are they making the kit officially available? Is it only available at quill or the rest too?

Between the 2 tuning boxes, I will choose dtuk since it's dual channel and has been used and well reviewed in the BMW uk forums. From website, it's about 500gbp - a fraction of the cost of the BMW kit. Again, my concern is the extra heat generated by the increased output hence efficiency of standard components in managing this. I guess if there is no prolonged hard driving, it should be ok

Get the BMW Power Kit kuntakinte-you need the larger radiator fan to disperse the excess heat. You then could...ahem,ahem..as gameover says...piggyback the Powerkitted 320d with the DTUK/Vector after installing the kit!

gameover;649445 said:
Thanks ray, albundy for arranging the meet and the 320d with the Performance Kit. Was good meeting with wuk51 and dzul too! The car pulls very smoothly from any speed but it doesn't give the punchy feel you get from the Vector/DTUK tuning boxes. Doesn't mean it's any slower though, a remap is almost always better than any tuning box since it's changing the engine directly at the ECU. The biggest plus IMO is the nice sounding twin pipe exhaust. It's not inline-6 but it sounds better than the standard exhaust note of the 320d.

Overall a good deal if you wanna do it but from BMW's official website it looks like us 177hp/350Nm owners are out of luck though :( The specs say upgrade from 135kw (184hp) to 147kw (200hp) only...

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/ac...w_performance_highlight_power_kit_diesel.html

Yeah,I love the twin pipes sound too! Hope its included in the PowerKit package too!

kuntakinte;649540 said:

I doubt that the extra heat on the engine or turbos is a big deal but the gearbox is definitely a major concern in the long run. If the official BMW kit has the torque converter then it's worth every single sen of the RM7-8k IMO.

But nobody seems to be able to answer whether the official BMW kit can be fitted on the older N47 177hp/350Nm engine or not...

gameover;649592 said:
I doubt that the extra heat on the engine or turbos is a big deal but the gearbox is definitely a major concern in the long run. If the official BMW kit has the torque converter then it's worth every single sen of the RM7-8k IMO.

But nobody seems to be able to answer whether the official BMW kit can be fitted on the older N47 177hp/350Nm engine or not...

Will check with AB Penang tomorrow.

Spoke with Quill's boss, Roland Ooi-the 320d Powerkit promo price is 7 to 8K. Later, the real price will be around 10K. We are working with BMW Malaysia to get BMWCM 320d OMs owners a special discount even better than the the promo price. So, stay tuned!....and join up as an OM!

docrayboy;652135 said:
Spoke with Quill's boss, Roland Ooi-the 320d Powerkit promo price is 7 to 8K. Later, the real price will be around 10K. We are working with BMW Malaysia to get BMWCM 320d OMs owners a special discount even better than the the promo price. So, stay tuned!....and join up as an OM!

Doc,

A very good initiative to get special discount for OM (Official member). Keep us posted.

Cheers

Notice from Mudah.com maybe someone may like it :

http://www.racechip.de/chiptuning/BMW-6-h.html

http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptuning/BMW-3er-E90-320d-346-r.html

contentbox-details-bg.png
racechip-pro-box.jpg
racechip-box.jpg
[/IMG]

Wonder what is the fuel consumption like after installation. I always think that the energy contained inside one mole of fuel is constant. Thus in order to squeeze out more power and torque means need to burn more fuel. No doubt we still can optimise a bit of efficiency here and there but a figure of +27% is too big without sacrifice the fuel consumption. Just my humble opinion. Nevertheless, I am also much attracted to the performance figure considering the additional small price to pay for :)

Any side effect?

the only worry now is the Torque Converter limitation.it has been discussed before and its rated at 400nm

morrogan;653673 said:
Wonder what is the fuel consumption like after installation. I always think that the energy contained inside one mole of fuel is constant. Thus in order to squeeze out more power and torque means need to burn more fuel. No doubt we still can optimise a bit of efficiency here and there but a figure of +27% is too big without sacrifice the fuel consumption. Just my humble opinion. Nevertheless, I am also much attracted to the performance figure considering the additional small price to pay for :)

Any side effect?

From my limited experience, fuel consumption remains the same or even about 5-8% lower than pre-tunebox. I'm using a slightly newer/advanced 2-channel model than the racechip above and have had no side effects so far. If you're interested in more info please PM me since I don't want to sound like an advert for DTUK :D

Top Bottom