320D Engine upgrade

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I believe our fuel can also install d kit. It is just a matter of ecu remapping. Otherwise why the new 320d can increase power. I think it is matter of time they bring the kit here n keep stock when more people are interested to buy . Ths will save them importing cost. I believe we can still ask bmw to order the kit if we r really interested but it will cost more.

But why is it the kit cannot use with our diesel quality here?? I'm also waiting for news on the diesel quality in future here before decide to switch to diesel.

I wonder if we can bring the kit in ourselves and only ask the authorized dealers to install?

Just to update you on the conversation from BMW Malaysia

"Just to give you further clarification, for cars built before 03/2010 (as per your car), a Power Kit is not possible as it requires diesel quality of at least EU4.

However, for cars built after 03/2010 a new Power Kit has been produced for it. This can be used for cars with EU3 diesel quality.
Although our country is using EU2 diesel, we had it checked with some technical experts and they confirmed it will work with the lower fuel quality.
Therefore, we have some 320d special editions which are sold with the Power Kit installed.""

Quill Sepang 320d Track Day-Featuring the new BMW Performance Power Kit

Hi 320d owners, keen on joining the above track day on 12th June, 2011-free lah, no charge. I have been allocated 5 places to allocate to you diesel lovers by Roland(he reads our threads all the time, he says:-D!!). If you are interested, PM me.Bring your own 320d and helmet, I have been told-you can take your 320d around the Sepang track and sit as a passenger in the 320d with Performance Kit driven by a BMW Malaysia driver. The kit costs about MR7500 including installation.

BMW Performance Power Kit available for the N47 320d diesel engine.

The kit contains the following:

New motor control software
Larger intercooler
More powerful 600W cooling fan with new fan frame.
Air guide made of plastic including small parts.
BMW Performance Power Kit aluminum plaque
Stronger torque converter (For automatic transmission)

The increase in performance:

Acceleration: 0 - 100 km / h (-0.5 seconds faster).
Elasticity: 80 - 120 km / h, 4th gear(-0.8 sec) 80 - 120 km / h, 5th gear (-1.0 sec).
Top speed: Vmax + 5 km / h
Higher torque curve: Maximum 400nm at 2000 1/min (up 40 Nm).
Higher power output: Maximum 145 kW at 4000 1/min (plus 15 kW)

Installation time is 2 hours for manual and 5.5 hours for automatic gearbox (change torque converter).

There are cheaper kits out there that make more performance improvements without all the hardware changes....

Yes, but there are many variables, sometimes performance go up, reliability goes down or fuel consumption goes down.

...there's a bolt on piggy back ECU that gives some marked improvements... been dyno tested and all and fuel consumption not affected... will go dig more info....

initial results are something like: 200bhp at the wheels, and 400NM plus also at the wheel...

FWIW I had long email conversations with Andrew at DTUK while I was overseas the past few weeks and he was very helpful. Tried a 320d 177hp with the DTUK tuning box and it's far punchier and livelier than stock, lots of fun on a twisty country road. It gave even more meaning to the phrase point and squirt even with an auto box. :D Tuning box should be around £350-400.

I also had some exchanges with Imran at Evolve for their Evolve Switch ECU remap. Remaps are better since it looks at all parameters of the engine and it's similar to what BMW is doing but it seems like our new 320d and 520d have encrypted ECUs which means that you can't just plug in the Evolve Switch box and remap on the fly. A remap switch would be closer to £500-550 but this was unfortunately out of the picture for us.

Dear 320d bros, I was thinking abt the engine upgrade. I just have a few questions :

1. whats d difference between the 2009 model (177hp) compared to the 2010 (184 hp) in terms of engine mechanism? or is the diffence only in the ECU?

2. If the difference is only in the ECU programming, then why cant the 177hp unit upgrade to 204 hp like the 2010 model. If the differnce is also in the mechanical part, then I agree that it is difficult.

Thanks for yr help.

regards

supersonic, there's the BMW way (join us next weekend June 11-12th) and there's the independent tuner way. When I get to a TT one day I can elaborate more about my discussions and experience with the tuners.

gameover;642209 said:
supersonic, there's the BMW way (join us next weekend June 11-12th) and there's the independent tuner way. When I get to a TT one day I can elaborate more about my discussions and experience with the tuners.

Actually i m asking abt the one done by BMW. i think it will be more reliable. If hp can increase to 204 frm my current 177, then the racun is strongerlah for 7.5k. if still below 200hp, then i may not want to do.

supersonic;642286 said:
Actually i m asking abt the one done by BMW. i think it will be more reliable. If hp can increase to 204 frm my current 177, then the racun is strongerlah for 7.5k. if still below 200hp, then i may not want to do.

Yeah, I agree. The increase by nearly 30hp n more importantly the extra 50nm torque is very inviting. So, for those on the 177 hp engines, this sounds tantalizing but not sure if it makes economic value for the ones with the stock 184hp/380nm tho'. Contemplating.....

kuntakinte;642292 said:
Yeah, I agree. The increase by nearly 30hp n more importantly the extra 50nm torque is very inviting. So, for those on the 177 hp engines, this sounds tantalizing but not sure if it makes economic value for the ones with the stock 184hp/380nm tho'. Contemplating.....

As in my earlier post it only applies to 320D made after march 2010 as explained my BMW. Cars manufactured before that won;t be able to do the conversion

gameover;641901 said:
FWIW I had long email conversations with Andrew at DTUK while I was overseas the past few weeks and he was very helpful. Tried a 320d 177hp with the DTUK tuning box and it's far punchier and livelier than stock, lots of fun on a twisty country road. It gave even more meaning to the phrase point and squirt even with an auto box. :D Tuning box should be around £350-400.

I also had some exchanges with Imran at Evolve for their Evolve Switch ECU remap. Remaps are better since it looks at all parameters of the engine and it's similar to what BMW is doing but it seems like our new 320d and 520d have encrypted ECUs which means that you can't just plug in the Evolve Switch box and remap on the fly. A remap switch would be closer to £500-550 but this was unfortunately out of the picture for us.

Roland says with the upgrade, we get a totally brand new ECU tagged individually to our chasis number.

Just tested the 320d with performance boost. Holy Cow!! The increase in performance is simply astounding. The car just simply pulls to 5000rpm with plenty of torque.

And it's nice to have the I-Drive too:)

ALBundy;648932 said:
Just tested the 320d with performance boost. Holy Cow!! The increase in performance is simply astounding. The car just simply pulls to 5000rpm with plenty of torque.

And it's nice to have the I-Drive too:)

Wow! Can we test it too?

Thanks ray, albundy for arranging the meet and the 320d with the Performance Kit. Was good meeting with wuk51 and dzul too! The car pulls very smoothly from any speed but it doesn't give the punchy feel you get from the Vector/DTUK tuning boxes. Doesn't mean it's any slower though, a remap is almost always better than any tuning box since it's changing the engine directly at the ECU. The biggest plus IMO is the nice sounding twin pipe exhaust. It's not inline-6 but it sounds better than the standard exhaust note of the 320d.

Overall a good deal if you wanna do it but from BMW's official website it looks like us 177hp/350Nm owners are out of luck though :( The specs say upgrade from 135kw (184hp) to 147kw (200hp) only...

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/ac...w_performance_highlight_power_kit_diesel.html

Top Bottom