320D Engine upgrade

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

DKNY

Club Guest
I read that the newer 320d packs more torque punch and has a few more horses to it. My dealer informed me that there is a circular out today informing them that clients can opt for an upgrade package to match the new 320d.Alas no pricing and details yet!! Anyone has any info?? Would be interested to find out:listen:

Any more news from your SA, DKNY? A forumer says there's also a Blue Fin upgrade and increases the torque to approx 420NM and HP to slightly above 200hp on the 320d. Cost only RM2,800. Its plug & play. Heard about it?

RCBL;562492 said:
In case you guys need more information on the new 320d, you can refer to the attachment

Sry file too big. Will try to downsize and re-attach

docrayboy;562346 said:
Any more news from your SA, DKNY? A forumer says there's also a Blue Fin upgrade and increases the torque to approx 420NM and HP to slightly above 200hp on the 320d. Cost only RM2,800. Its plug & play. Heard about it?

I read something about the bluefin and about the superchip but not too confident of the guys here in Malaysia re mapping the ECU. Read in one forum there was a chap fiddling a clients car for a couple of hours till wee hours of the morning at the one utama car park and after 4 maps there was disappointment and no conclusion.

To me these ding dongs are just taking us as gunnie pigs. Rightfully if we are their test subject they shouldnt charge the little piggy. Will pay slightly more to BMW for the real Mc Coy. Will check with BMW next week about the upgrade. Will post it once I know more.

check this product....google "vector tuning" it's a piggyback thingy. Installed in my Triton few weeks ago and I don't think I can drive the truck anymore without it. 25% power increased and the best thing is plug and play. Don't like the power anymore just take it out DIY. Somemore can test the product before buying at RM1550 ! !

docrayboy;566628 said:
Anymore update regarding the power upgrade package from BMW for the 320d? Be careful, though...our gearboxes can't take more than 400nm torque. Read this link...

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37614&page=2&highlight=paultantk

An extract from a different forum. Bottom line is that you can upgrade the car with the correct re maps being uploaded

"That's quite correct - the torque is always the limiting factor in gearbox designs, as it is this twisting force that will ultimately wear down gearboxes. Where manufacturers give nominal torque ratings for their gearboxes (for instance the 400NM for the GA6HP19Z) these ratings are specified with quite considerable tolerances, to ensure that the gearboxes last for the lifetime of the vehicle. In practice of course, automatic gearboxes do fail, but the failure rate has dramatically decreased with the more modern ZF gearboxes compared to the older designs.

The most respected tuners - Hartge, Alpina, Carlsson for Mercs, DMS, Dinan, and others - understand that there are inherent limitations in each model car's specification, and will only tune your car within the limits of the mechanical components. Having a tuned remap producing 500NM in your car whose gearbox is only technically rated to 400NM is not so much of a problem, because the tuners 'torque-limit' the output to ensure that there isn't an excess of twist-action under full engine load.

Hartge in particular (I can't speak for the others, other than Alpina but that's a completely different story) warranty their remap and components associated with the remap. So in effect if your gearbox fails BECAUSE of the remap, then Hartge will pay for your new gearbox. However of course that depends on whether it can be proved that the gearbox failed due to the extra torque, or whether it was just a dodgy gearbox in the first place.

Both Hartge and DMS have a very good reputation in remapping - not the cheapest, especially in the case of the Hartge, but they have always been consistently reliable, and have historially shown good backup in the odd-occasion when something goes wrong. For instance, DMS' early remap for the 535d showed a problem when the car was being driven in anger around the Nurburgring - on the long straight two-thirds of the way round, two or three cars developed a gearbox malfunction where it shut down and went into limp mode because of excess torque overload... the cars were taken back to DMS, the gearboxes checked over, and the engine remaps modified to be more linear and less aggressive. New DMS-remapped cars have been going round the 'Ring without any problems whatsoever.

The key to remapping is to go to a company who have considerable experience, and who demonstrate an ethos of producing good reliable gains across the board, and not just the biggest numbers possible without paying due consideration to ancillary equipment."

DKNY;566688 said:
An extract from a different forum. Bottom line is that you can upgrade the car with the correct re maps being uploaded

"That's quite correct - the torque is always the limiting factor in gearbox designs, as it is this twisting force that will ultimately wear down gearboxes. Where manufacturers give nominal torque ratings for their gearboxes (for instance the 400NM for the GA6HP19Z) these ratings are specified with quite considerable tolerances, to ensure that the gearboxes last for the lifetime of the vehicle. In practice of course, automatic gearboxes do fail, but the failure rate has dramatically decreased with the more modern ZF gearboxes compared to the older designs.

The most respected tuners - Hartge, Alpina, Carlsson for Mercs, DMS, Dinan, and others - understand that there are inherent limitations in each model car's specification, and will only tune your car within the limits of the mechanical components. Having a tuned remap producing 500NM in your car whose gearbox is only technically rated to 400NM is not so much of a problem, because the tuners 'torque-limit' the output to ensure that there isn't an excess of twist-action under full engine load.

Hartge in particular (I can't speak for the others, other than Alpina but that's a completely different story) warranty their remap and components associated with the remap. So in effect if your gearbox fails BECAUSE of the remap, then Hartge will pay for your new gearbox. However of course that depends on whether it can be proved that the gearbox failed due to the extra torque, or whether it was just a dodgy gearbox in the first place.

Both Hartge and DMS have a very good reputation in remapping - not the cheapest, especially in the case of the Hartge, but they have always been consistently reliable, and have historially shown good backup in the odd-occasion when something goes wrong. For instance, DMS' early remap for the 535d showed a problem when the car was being driven in anger around the Nurburgring - on the long straight two-thirds of the way round, two or three cars developed a gearbox malfunction where it shut down and went into limp mode because of excess torque overload... the cars were taken back to DMS, the gearboxes checked over, and the engine remaps modified to be more linear and less aggressive. New DMS-remapped cars have been going round the 'Ring without any problems whatsoever.

The key to remapping is to go to a company who have considerable experience, and who demonstrate an ethos of producing good reliable gains across the board, and not just the biggest numbers possible without paying due consideration to ancillary equipment."

When are you getting yours upgraded, DKNY? Keep us posted....and what in the world is this torque limiter? From what I read in wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org
/wiki/Torque_limiter

....it's some kind of mechanical device and all the upgrades that have been talked about are plug n play devices.....so, it's surely not that easy...I am sure...there's no such thing as a free lunch...when it sounds too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true.

So, at the end of the day...better be safe than sorry.

BMW policies have never been aimed at longetivity...it's always been to get you to the 3 years/60,000km mark...then the parts go popped!!...opps there goes the gear box...u know how much is a brand new 320d gear box?...I estimate 10K MR.

docrayboy;566703 said:
BMW policies have never been aimed at longetivity...it's always been to get you to the 3 years/60,000km mark...then the parts go popped!!...opps there goes the gear box...u know how much is a brand new 320d gear box?...I estimate 10K MR.

BMW Malaysia policies you mean. BMW US for example has a 4-year warranty standard, with a chargeable extended warranty that goes up to 7 years. Unfortunately with the weak consumer protection here, we're only stuck with a 2-year warranty and not much choice beyond that.

Also I think your estimate for the gearbox cost is a bit on the low side :top: I'm guessing it's closer to 20-30k

Just got word. There is a BMW performance power kit for 4-cylinder turbo-diesel bmw engines.
The specifications are listed below:-
power : 130kW (177bhp) to 145kW (197bhp)
torque : 350Nm peak torque rise by 40Nm to 390Nm @ 2,000rpm
acceleration : 0-100km/h improved by 0.5sec to 7.6secs (faster than 325i sports), 80-120km/h in 5th gear a whole second faster. This was an extract from a BMW source. If that is true guess the 320d has the best of many worlds. Cheap roadtax, fuel, insurance and price.

With that I guess it solves the dilemma on the issue of the gearbox not being design to take more than 400nm is solved. BMW actually made sure that torque remained within the safety level. :top::top:

As I understand this item is available in other countries. If there are actually enough interested parties we could then get BMW Malaysia to bring them in and install it for us as I guess most of us wouldn;t touch the engine with a 3rd party supplier for the moment as there is a concern on the warranty part.

DKNY;567023 said:
Just got word. There is a BMW performance power kit for 4-cylinder turbo-diesel bmw engines.
The specifications are listed below:-
power : 130kW (177bhp) to 145kW (197bhp)
torque : 350Nm peak torque rise by 40Nm to 390Nm @ 2,000rpm
acceleration : 0-100km/h improved by 0.5sec to 7.6secs (faster than 325i sports), 80-120km/h in 5th gear a whole second faster. This was an extract from a BMW source. If that is true guess the 320d has the best of many worlds. Cheap roadtax, fuel, insurance and price.

With that I guess it solves the dilemma on the issue of the gearbox not being design to take more than 400nm is solved. BMW actually made sure that torque remained within the safety level. :top::top:

As I understand this item is available in other countries. If there are actually enough interested parties we could then get BMW Malaysia to bring them in and install it for us as I guess most of us wouldn;t touch the engine with a 3rd party supplier for the moment as there is a concern on the warranty part.

Who do we contact in BMW, bro?

if you are looking for people supporting this upgrade, i'll be one of them. :top::top::top::rock::rock::rock:

Top Bottom