Ultra Racing to improve handling...Malaysia boleh-ke?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ess530i

Club Guest
hi guys am just wondering if anyone got experience using Ultra Racing (yes, Made in Malaysia) products to improve handling. i am contemplating to purchase their front & rear lower bar to improve handling of my car. i already got H&R anti-roll bars so i'm not sure if this would make any further difference. i've heard of good comments but mostly on JDM not UDM. pls share ur Ultra Racing + UDM experience...http://www.ultraracing.com.my/ultraracing/New_Products_Page.asp

A few of my friends are using UR strut bars. They're decent and gets the job done. The branded ones just looks better that's all.

ARBs do more for your suspension setup compared to strut bars anyway. I've seen track cars without front strut bars before, although extremely rare.

some guy recommended rear ARB and front ARB as the first bars should get.

then rear struts then only front struts.

UR has reputation of innovation, if your bars has some problem, rest assured in a couple months a better version will be out. haha

AlexNg;355067 said:
UR has reputation of innovation, if your bars has some problem, rest assured in a couple months a better version will be out. haha

reputation for innovation??? they are more like imitation and non functional piece of metal.

just go ask them what is the reason and differences in using a 22mm or 23mm anti-roll bar, answer is "aiya, bigger better mah". ask them for the percentage increase in stiffness when using the larger bar than stock, you will get the same answer. so where do they get the technical spec to produce one? its all copied, pure imitation.

heard about their under chassis strengthening bars? go check where do they attached them. they are all attached to non-load bearing part of the chassis which makes them non functional and a total waste of money for just aesthetic value. if you look at the design of the lower bars, they are not even joined at the right spot that gives it any strength. those with a e36 can compared them with the original bmw lower brace where all the connecting points are properly boxed and joined.

how about their engine bay chassis strengthening bar? functional??? certain part of the car's chassis is made to be flexible and collapsible in the event of a collision to absorb the resulted impact. should you be using the bar, that factory offered function is gone and your body will be the one bearing the impact.

leforte;355100 said:
reputation for innovation??? they are more like imitation and non functional piece of metal.

just go ask them what is the reason and differences in using a 22mm or 23mm anti-roll bar, answer is "aiya, bigger better mah". ask them for the percentage increase in stiffness when using the larger bar than stock, you will get the same answer. so where do they get the technical spec to produce one? its all copied, pure imitation.

heard about their under chassis strengthening bars? go check where do they attached them. they are all attached to non-load bearing part of the chassis which makes them non functional and a total waste of money for just aesthetic value. if you look at the design of the lower bars, they are not even joined at the right spot that gives it any strength. those with a e36 can compared them with the original bmw lower brace where all the connecting points are properly boxed and joined.

how about their engine bay chassis strengthening bar? functional??? certain part of the car's chassis is made to be flexible and collapsible in the event of a collision to absorb the resulted impact. should you be using the bar, that factory offered function is gone and your body will be the one bearing the impact.

There are some truth in what you said.. Especially on the underbody chassis bars.

i actually fitted ultra racing anti-roll bar (front n back) and side bars onto my wife's civic and didn't feel a whole lot of difference as compared to when i fitted h&r anti-roll bars to my e60. would say that even with the anti-roll bars & side bars, the civic is still nowhere near my stock e60's (non-msport) handling performance. this make me really appreciate the handling of my bmw now.

leforte you're right bout the ARB, i was surprised when i saw my civic's stock ARB as they were only 1-2mm smaller than ultra racing's. in fact for the front they didn't even need to replace the bush as it fitted perfectly! btw...i been using CPC2 for the civic and just got the chance to thrash it and find that they are wayyyyy to soft for spirited driving...not just that they make too much screeching noise when u take corners...dunno how your CPC2 can take the horses :)

anyway, guess i wont be buying any ultra racing for my e60...

leforte,

they are malaysian made, therefore innovation takes slightly longer... maybe a decade or two

haha..i am a engineer by training and i can vouch for aaron' s input. what aaron said is very true. sparing some time on his inputs never fails to enlightens and amazed me on countless occasions. and safe me from any future headaches for my e39 and e60.

these stupid UR bar are real crap piece of rubbish if you ask me. look at that front bar, its attached to the lower control arm mounting at the subframe, and for the e60 rear bar, the first bar is attached to the car's undercarriage sheet metal and its at the front of the fuel tank, that looks like a added piece of metal to puncture the tank in the even of a accident. the second rar bar is attached to the rear sub frame mounting. these points of attachment serves no purposed where it doesnt even stretch or flex. pure useless piece of ornament and wasted money:eek:

AlexNg;355480 said:
leforte,

they are malaysian made, therefore innovation takes slightly longer... maybe a decade or two

haha so i guess we should let them do their R&D at their own expense and not paying customers. but the way i see it, there's is no innovation coming out of them, just rubbish, so it will not be long before they are gone. but then again, there is a lot of uneducated customers especially the proton and jap makes around and that is enough to keep them afloat. sigh... just hope fellow bimmerians will not fall for their ill engineered crap.

ess530i;355346 said:
i actually fitted ultra racing anti-roll bar (front n back) and side bars onto my wife's civic and didn't feel a whole lot of difference as compared to when i fitted h&r anti-roll bars to my e60. would say that even with the anti-roll bars & side bars, the civic is still nowhere near my stock e60's (non-msport) handling performance. this make me really appreciate the handling of my bmw now.

leforte you're right bout the ARB, i was surprised when i saw my civic's stock ARB as they were only 1-2mm smaller than ultra racing's. in fact for the front they didn't even need to replace the bush as it fitted perfectly! btw...i been using CPC2 for the civic and just got the chance to thrash it and find that they are wayyyyy to soft for spirited driving...not just that they make too much screeching noise when u take corners...dunno how your CPC2 can take the horses :)

anyway, guess i wont be buying any ultra racing for my e60...

yeah the CPC2 is really soft, good grip on the dry, exciting on wet road with asc blinking half the time. i have been changing a new pair for the rear every 3 months. i am almost done with the second pair i got now. will change back to the 18s soon.

I'm using UR strut bars front and rear. I say you can only feel the difference in the strengthened chassis when you really push the car. For everyday city driving, I don't think any of the UR bars are necessary, especially the lower bars which I do agree don't really function as theyre supposed to.

one thing for sure is that the UR bars aint cheap, i paid bout rm1200 total for the front & rear ARB and side bars for my civic. the owner must be making hella lot of money if he doesnt need to spend much on R&D. the price is just slightly cheaper than h&r + shipping charges + import duty (no sure if this is paid by the importers).

vanity off course ler you can only feel the difference of the ARB and most other chassis mod only when u push the car, in everyday city driving, the only thing u will feel is a harsher ride especially when u cross speed bumps diagonally.

ess530i;355659 said:
one thing for sure is that the UR bars aint cheap, i paid bout rm1200 total for the front & rear ARB and side bars for my civic. the owner must be making hella lot of money if he doesnt need to spend much on R&D. the price is just slightly cheaper than h&r + shipping charges + import duty (no sure if this is paid by the importers).

vanity off course ler you can only feel the difference of the ARB and most other chassis mod only when u push the car, in everyday city driving, the only thing u will feel is a harsher ride especially when u cross speed bumps diagonally.

It may seem obvious to you and me, but I'm just informing those interested in them incase they make the wrong decision.

And wow. I didnt know UR ARBs were so expensive. The strutbars front/rear only cost RM1XX each.

i agreed wit what leforte said,look at all the first generation strut bar for continental cars,they are all made of hollow aluminium tube,bcos it needs to be able to flex alittle bit to balance up the bottom chassis.if the top is too rigid then the bottom chassis will have to flex.

The UR steel strut bars are 'over-engineered' (read: too rigid).. The sparco strut bars are also made of steel but with the correct angled bends, it allows some flexes when there's certain amount of force acting upon it from the side. The UR bars doesn't seem to allow such flexes in the event of a side impact.

Maybe UR is reading this thread and improving its designs as we typed... hahahhaha

fabianyee;358106 said:
The UR steel strut bars are 'over-engineered' (read: too rigid).. The sparco strut bars are also made of steel but with the correct angled bends, it allows some flexes when there's certain amount of force acting upon it from the side. The UR bars doesn't seem to allow such flexes in the event of a side impact.

Maybe UR is reading this thread and improving its designs as we typed... hahahhaha

Improving? all the UR products are flawed in designs, this is what happens when they have no knowledge of the engineering or functions of a part. improving? well that would only happen when they do hire a trained engineer and spend the money to do the necessary R&D for a said product. not just taking all the consumer's cash with their so called "eye-candy" custom made to fit stuff with no guaranteed of functionality.

as for the strut bars, they are not too rigid, but they are designed wrongly with one too many useless attachment points that is just attached to non structural loaded part of the chassis, ie:- the firewall which make them s totally useless piece of crap and waste of money.

well, chassis design is not an easy science. what u find ok, may be hell to others.....as such its never easy to just design one bar and say it will solve all handling issues. Please consider ur cars all differ in age, have different springs/absorbers, tyre profiles, tyre grip and drivers of a big span in driving ability. Some want car can flat corner at high speeds but dun want give up comfort.....

Ultraracing is no different - they try to help u and if u dun think they can.....no need kutuk, just no need recommend cos sooner or later - if its THAT BAD and overprice, they also will sink one fine day.

So let's all not be an backyard engineer or lawyer or whatever....and enjoy ur ride.

Btw, how come this strut bar go to firewall one huh? Can trust or not this design from their engineer?

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0705_turp_2005_mitsubishi_evo_8_mr/photo_02.html

Jules;358135 said:
well, chassis design is not an easy science. what u find ok, may be hell to others.....as such its never easy to just design one bar and say it will solve all handling issues. Please consider ur cars all differ in age, have different springs/absorbers, tyre profiles, tyre grip and drivers of a big span in driving ability. Some want car can flat corner at high speeds but dun want give up comfort.....

Ultraracing is no different - they try to help u and if u dun think they can.....no need kutuk, just no need recommend cos sooner or later - if its THAT BAD and overprice, they also will sink one fine day.

So let's all not be an backyard engineer or lawyer or whatever....and enjoy ur ride.

Btw, how come this strut bar go to firewall one huh? Can trust or not this design from their engineer?

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0705_turp_2005_mitsubishi_evo_8_mr/photo_02.html

Haha. Such irony. =p

Any single second on the race track is very important for the driver, in order to perform laser sharp maneuver, they will try to make the chassis as stiff as possible, stronger chassis will transfer the road information (or we can say it is the vibration from the road) more clearly from tyre to the steering wheel, so driver will know how much limit can he go. If the chassis is not stiff enough, chassis will absorb part of the vibration, causing the handling feel soft, and driver will get confuse and can’t perform the sharp maneuver.

So the “strut bar” is born and available on the market. Of course, this came out another problem, if the chassis really strong, what will happen when accident strike?

When the car hit an object from the front, the impact force will quickly transfer to the whole chassis, but strong chassis will not absorb much of the impact, so the chassis will have minimum of deform at any where of the chassis, this will make repairing of the chassis more difficult or even can’t be repair. How about the driver? Because the chassis can’t absorb the impact, and driver will suffer serious injury. Not everyone like a well train racing driver.

Most of the cars today have design a collision zone or using the aluminum body for absorbing the impact effectively, so driver will suffer less of injury.

For aftermarket performance part maker, they create the strut bar made by aluminum or carbon fiber, so it can strengthen the chassis and allow to be deforming when absorb the impact.

For our UR (Ultra Racing), using the aluminum or carbon fiber material is too expensive. So we using the mild steel as our source for the strut bar, but reducing the thickness of the hollow tube or oval tube to 1.2mm~1.6mm. This has archive the same goal as using aluminum or carbon fiber material.

Same method is applied on the HONDA Type-R machine.

Top Bottom