Torque

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

lukesoon

Club Guest
Hi sifusIf I'd like my 323i to be more torque-y. What would u recommend as a performance (part) addition to invest in? An air filter? I'm a total newbie to all this and would like some advice. Please forgive any cross posting.

Air filters allow better breathing and smoother acceleration but power/ torque increase may just be slightly. Hypertune got an edition where a 328 with genuine BMC filter provided appx 9bhp on the dyno. I got a BMC style unit for sale if you're interested... :D

Filter for sale

Originally posted by ylkhor@Jun 25 2006, 01:35 AM
Air filters allow better breathing and smoother acceleration but power/ torque increase may just be slightly. Hypertune got an edition where a 328 with genuine BMC filter provided appx 9bhp on the dyno. I got a BMC style unit for sale if you're interested... :D

Filter for sale
Yeah, read that article on Azlan's black bimmer (Project bmw?). They used BMC's Carbon Dynamic Air Box filter from Speedzone Motorsports if I'm not mistaken. But his was selling at RM1,500???

Azlan wan different, that's with a supercharger. The hypertune edition (vol 54) is a white 328. Yes the ori BMC is damn mahal :D

So there's no downside to adding an air filter? Just pay and u get extra boost?
Is it as simple as that? No other detrimental effects whatsoever to the car? Does it entail any extra maintenance?

Ichiwan2

where can I buy a PBV in KL? How much does it cost ?

My car an e30 325i , with BBTB I just found out driving about 10 minutes at constant speed of 150Kms , sudden hesitations. when I let go the gas to 130kms speed the car runs fine, I suppose this problem is to do with fuel supply.

tnx

haffeel

N-Speed or some shop with an N as the first letter, located somewhere near Sunway Pyramid - saw it there about 2 years ago. U could always ask ur regular racun supplier to get it for you or you could order it over the net (postage will be a killer). Dunno the local prices. Got mine (used) from ebay.

Good luck!

depends on your budget:-
up to 1k : air filter - BMC but got a bit of noise at mid range
up to 2k : can just about get a chip done which should give more mid range without additional sound effects
up to 3k : air filter, chip.....the most effective 3k for performance spent.....

Originally posted by lukesoon@Jun 24 2006, 09:36 AM
Hi sifus
If I'd like my 323i to be more torque-y.
What would u recommend as a performance (part) addition to invest in? An air filter? I'm a total newbie to all this and would like some advice.

Forget about about airfilter, power valves etc,.

BMC styled filters only work with manual transmissions and are for harnessing power at the top end of your powerband and as you know, torque does not live there. The standaard airbox is quite a complicated piece of engineering designed to give your slush box max torque from the get go.

Power valves and gadgets of the like only improve throttle response by leaning out your mixture during loads. Not good as lean mixtures lead to premature O2 sensor failure.

The solution you need is to acquire the intake manifold and throttle body from a M50B25. These were found in the e36 325i and e34 525i. Expect at least 15lbs of torque increase.

Essentially what BMW did was to 'detune' your engine to 170bhp to meet insurance requirements in certain EU communities by stranggling the engine with smaller intakes.

If this is still not enuf, consider a performance chip/software tuning.

Originally posted by bazet@Jun 25 2006, 11:27 PM
Kev, just want to ask.

I read in other forum ( http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.a...72&t=252352&h=0 )

If E36 328i using TB & IM from 325i and.....plug and play...instant power increase ? Just like that ? No need to adjust the co / 02 reading or ECU ?
Yup, plug and play. I hve seen this done on 5 of our forummers e36 328s.

But if the car is a late model with ASC, it will need to be disabled and is no longer active.

Originally posted by lukesoon@Jun 26 2006, 12:45 AM

You mentioend software chip & tuning. Is this a straightforward (read: expensive?) procedure? Where can this be done for my 323i?
The reputable outfits that I would recommend would be EKS Motorsports, Eurocar Motorsports and Obermeir.

It will cost you >RM2k. Good products and services do not come cheap.

IMHO at that price it is cheap. Try costing a BMC filter together with a performance exhaust and the cost is much more, and it will NEVER yield the results compared with software tuning.

GOOD THING NOT CHEAP, CHEAP THING NOT GOOD.

Also, the quest for power and torque will increase fuel consumption. Power comes from burning fuel, 'nuff said.

Performance chip do increase the torque and make the torque curve flatter.

To have significant increase in torque, there are only two ways...increase engine stroke length (and hence displacement) or forced induction (supercharge or turbocharge).

Other bits of mods like free flow air filter and free flow exhaust will increase horsepower at the expense of having your max torque moving towards the right hand side of the torque curve. In layman's term the car will feel a little sluggish on the low to mid range especially with an automatic transmission.

Muchos gracias sifu-sifu semua.
So looks like it will be the software chip tuning.
Now to shop around for best prices.
Any forummers done this on their e46s before?
Please can anyone share experiences before/after the tuning was done?

Originally posted by lukesoon@Jun 26 2006, 03:15 AM
Muchos gracias sifu-sifu semua.
So looks like it will be the software chip tuning.
Now to shop around for best prices.
Any forummers done this on their e46s before?
Please can anyone share experiences before/after the tuning was done?
Contact Calvin Tan. This sifu will walk you through it step-by-step.

Top Bottom