steering rack rosak !!!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Nightswan;831867 said:
Do you have a phone charger rolling in your center console? *wink omnimech*

Yes, check if you have any things rolling around in the center console.

That was my "steering rack issue" which I sent to Ingress to trouble shoot.

:stupid:

fj.sham;835374 said:
bros.. any update on upgrade steering rack? tired waiting lor.. the knocking sound make me crazy... arghhhhh....

Steering rack was replaced last week. Knocking noise still there but less. However, new steering feels more fluid, linear and more communicative too. Will wait for better solution, if it ever comes....

tsh;825234 said:
i collected my drive on friday after changing the steering rack.
the immediate feedback is steering become heavy and more bmw-ish response, knocking sound still there but very minimal. hope i dont need to claim 2nd time..
currently the annoying part is cabin rattling noise which only can hear occasionally. i couldn't find out the exact source of noise, and the noise totally disappear when the mechanic was testing the car.. :motz:
mine got similar problem too, sometime when driving more than 30 minutes the sound (driver seat-door panel side) will occasionally appeared! and i'm tired of sent in my car to let them check d.......reli tired....

Guys, i reli don't know how to check the steering rack whether got problem or not, and how the knocking sound looks like ? is it when turning right or left the sound only appear ??

seenotype;836675 said:
Guys, i reli don't know how to check the steering rack whether got problem or not, and how the knocking sound looks like ? is it when turning right or left the sound only appear ??

Bro, if you don't hear anything while driving around on our Malaysia boleh road then most likely there is no problem with your steering rack. Not all is affected by this issue.

splee;836696 said:
Bro, if you don't hear anything while driving around on our Malaysia boleh road then most likely there is no problem with your steering rack. Not all is affected by this issue.
u mean when running on uneven road the sound only will appears??

Before you start the engine, steer the steering a bit to the left and quickly back to the right left right left right left right a few times. If there's (tuk tuk) sound then affirm that your car steering rack "rosak"

seenotype;836675 said:

splee;836696 said:

And I thought all F30 are affected by this issue.

seenotype;836826 said:
This steering rack issue only happen on 328 but not 320 right??

I have a 320i, March 2013 reg. Steering rack replaced under warranty recently, still has knock sound...

dw3550;836991 said:
I have a 320i, March 2013 reg. Steering rack replaced under warranty recently, still has knock sound...

No solution yet. Maybe the steer by wire technology will get rid of this knocking sound problem.

splee;837012 said:
No solution yet. Maybe the steer by wire technology will get rid of this knocking sound problem.

Steer by wire? If BMW can't get simple things right you expect steer by wire from them? LOL

tIANcI;837046 said:
Steer by wire? If BMW can't get simple things right you expect steer by wire from them? LOL

Hahaha. Don't lah like this. Give some face to BMW mah.

Apparently even with the latest update of the steering rack (version 7) there is still some sound, albeit more muted. Quill tweaked and fiddled around with my original steering rack and the sound appears to have gone. Don't know what they did, though.

c-square;837135 said:
Apparently even with the latest update of the steering rack (version 7) there is still some sound, albeit more muted. Quill tweaked and fiddled around with my original steering rack and the sound appears to have gone. Don't know what they did, though.

If they indeed solved the problem, then they have the answer to the million dollar question.

I don't know exactly what they did but the SA did mentioned something like tightening and lubricating. Send your noisy steering rack to Quill and look for Mr Tan and tell him you want it sorted out.

splee;837048 said:
Hahaha. Don't lah like this. Give some face to BMW mah.

What for give face? Your money grow on trees? You are one of the fanboys who started out by saying its okay to live with the problems. Steering rack noise is no big deal. Remember?

tIANcI;837301 said:
What for give face? Your money grow on trees? You are one of the fanboys who started out by saying its okay to live with the problems. Steering rack noise is no big deal. Remember?

The steering rack is definitely a problem that needs to be sorted out eventually. But it is a liveable issue. You can still drive and enjoy your UDM although with some annoyance. Sorry I am not a fanboy of BMW or what. I am just looking at the situation objectively.

Any update for the steering rack sound?

Few week ago send my car to service (one year BSRi gone) and complaint about the sound. Left the car 2 days at SC. When pick up the SA said didn't detect the sound i mentioned!!:46:

I thing the SA do this because:

1. Following order to protect good name for BMW...deny any thing bad about BMW.
2. Not yet have the right solution to settle the problem and act nothing wrong with the car to cover it up.
3. This one bad....drag the problem in time to let the 2 years BSRi warranty past. Therefore any problem after warranty period
is not their warranty concern and need to pay for fixing...saving cost for BMW.:20:

2 weeks back when send in for unscheduled oil change complained of the occasional "clunk" sound on the right front over uneven road surface while turning. They said tighten some spindle to steering assembly and check if there is still sound coming from. So far not heard. One thing though the steering is a lot more tight feel now.

Top Bottom