steering rack rosak !!!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Trouble with mine the knocking on front right is not consistent, 1 out of 10x perhaps over the same uneven road turning with similar speed. Had complained when I got rusty seat changed. They say tightened suspension nuts n bolts. Still there sometimes.

ljsaw;816106 said:
Nothing wrong with the engine mounting. But at the time when I discover the knocking sound, the technician suggested to change the whole thing, ie the rack and mounting all together to avoid future problem.

Well, under warranty and Gua tak kisah la. I am not paying anything. Plus, got the rusty seat frames changed too.

I got a new roof lining coming in from Germany and an a/c compressor too. Changing everything on my car.

Looks like we're all getting lemons here in Malaysia. The rest of the countries (esp. USA) get the good ones.

I have a 2013 320i and the thud or knock sound was heard the first time the car went over a hump. Have gone to workshop twice, both times technician heard it but no remedy yet. Technician claimed that my car had the improved rack and the sound is normal, I find that unacceptable. The sound is very obvious, without starting your engine, just gently rock your steering off-centre and you'll hear it. Even when started, you should be able hear a click or thud twirling the steering. It sounds awfully like a suspension issue but it isn't. The sound is getting more obvious as mileage gets higher, I don't think BMW has a solution yet. All I want is for them to admit the fault and find a fix...frustrating for a ride that is so fine.

cslau;814983 said:
I sent to sg besi AB.
Leoabp....urs is 320d? R v having d same steering rack?

I not too sure whether is the same steering rack, but i assume all F30 should have the same, right?
The SA cant find the problem yet :(

Leoabp;817350 said:
I not too sure whether is the same steering rack, but i assume all F30 should have the same, right?
The SA cant find the problem yet :(

yeap, they should be the same. SA just called me and said that the rack has arrive. Changing it next week

which service center you are sending over, and how much they need to replace the faulty part? did they give you a courtesy car for the mean while?

My car also got the steering rack sound and not only that, the rear (I believe it's the suspension) also have the similar sound when ever I reverse the car out from my house car porch.

After reading all the grouse and flaws of F30 (Since i booked my 328i and ready to deliver after GE13)
I sent an email to BMW Malaysia about all the flaws hoping they will clarify and give me a little bit of assurance.
Guess what?!! They so lazy to reply to me but instead of forwarding my email to AB Penang to ask SA to reply to me.....puzzle....
The SA knows zero of F30 and just starting to read this blogs when I arrive to their door steps...sigh....OMG....am i choosing the right car?!!!!
Anyone HELP!!!!

Charaznable;817551 said:
After reading all the grouse and flaws of F30 (Since i booked my 328i and ready to deliver after GE13)
I sent an email to BMW Malaysia about all the flaws hoping they will clarify and give me a little bit of assurance.
Guess what?!! They so lazy to reply to me but instead of forwarding my email to AB Penang to ask SA to reply to me.....puzzle....
The SA knows zero of F30 and just starting to read this blogs when I arrive to their door steps...sigh....OMG....am i choosing the right car?!!!!
Anyone HELP!!!!

Haha...good luck with that....u gotta attend to ur UDM's issues 1 by 1 after collecting it....thr is minimal possibility tat v cud pre-select our car.....the only way to shorten the remedial process is to regularly log in to this forum n get updates fr the earlier victims....however some ppl may find the process getting the flaws fixed interesting.....priceless bonding experience between them and their UDM.....end up stil liking their UDM very much :love:

By the way, after changing my steering rack the knocking sound persists....when I collect my car the SA look so confidence tat he already fixed the problem...I'm waiting for a free time to throw it back to his face. I did it at AB sg besi.....took 2days together with rusted seats being swab

Anyone has their steering rack replaced recently? Does the latest design version solve the issue once and for all?

Look for Munich Auto at Segambut next to BA, RM900 for refub but will discount RM200 if you trade in your old one

Got mine replaced (warranty claim) recently and found that the noise is almost gone. The steering has no more free play. This is what a BMW should be. Hope there problem will not come back to haunt me.

TheTinkerer;818412 said:
Got mine replaced (warranty claim) recently and found that the noise is almost gone. The steering has no more free play. This is what a BMW should be. Hope there problem will not come back to haunt me.

Pardon me, what is free play?

KengKok;818472 said:
Free play is when the steering can be moved or turned without the wheels moving.

Is anyone encounter these sterring rack problems with f30 cbu, coz I just can't confirm how did the sound like, and only hear the sound when reverse?

Top Bottom