Steering Lock - E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
hezryfx;563598 said:
Finally! After a week my E60 in the workshop due to this festive season, i managed to get my car back.

yeayyy... luckily it was not the steering column. only changed the magnetic key sensor...cost me around RM 1,500 .

Lucky u bro...mine is still in workshop maybe monday or tuesday ready...the CAS has arrived from Germany but in BMW johor..(parts centre)...so they will only send to KL tomorrow then according to the mechanic it takes abt 4-5 hrs to reprogramme....the installation of the CAS unit is not that difficult....so hopefully I will get my car by Tuesday urrghhhhh

hezryfx;565366 said:
Have you gotten your car bro?

Finally I got my car this morning....yup the CAS was indeed replaced.....it took a while to arrive from Germany....now pocket koyak!!! the CAS itself cost me about RM2100 and the reprogramming and labour about rm600....

FIRZ67;565473 said:
Whoooa... I must pray hard ..

seriously i pray for all e90 owners to not go through what I went through.....not so much of the cost....but the hassle to get the car towed....and not having a car for 2 weeks....but I don't know Im jst hoping there would be no more "Door bells" any time soon.....or else I'll pengsan!

Irwaniz, at what mileage/age did the failure occurs?

Someone suggested somewhere to start a database of major parts failure so that fellow members can take preventive actions (if any).

I think it will be a good idea.

alanchan67;565483 said:
Irwaniz, at what mileage/age did the failure occurs?

Someone suggested somewhere to start a database of major parts failure so that fellow members can take preventive actions (if any).

I think it will be a good idea.

well alanchan....my car has already got a high mileage 100k so in a way I am not too surprised abt problems gonna occur its just that the problem occured as I was abt to enjoy the ride with the new absorbers, tyres etc hehehe...but good idea abt the database...

irwaniz8816;565478 said:
seriously i pray for all e90 owners to not go through what I went through.....not so much of the cost....but the hassle to get the car towed....and not having a car for 2 weeks....but I don't know Im jst hoping there would be no more "Door bells" any time soon.....or else I'll pengsan!

True that!!! I agreed! Been there done that. Imagine mine a day before raya and only get the car after a week :( . Bro Irwaniz, at least your cost is below 3k, its acceptable.

hezryfx;565615 said:
True that!!! I agreed! Been there done that. Imagine mine a day before raya and only get the car after a week :( . Bro Irwaniz, at least your cost is below 3k, its acceptable.

guess we were both in the same boat bro.....mine failed on the Tuesday just before raya and got my car finally only yesterday....but there were lotsa stories from other friends (not beemers) whom had car probs just b4 raya....I guess cars too want their new outfits for Raya huh

My 2007 E90SE, clock 48,000 km steering column failed few days ago. AB updated latest software and can't solve the problem. They told me have to change steering column that cost 2.7k. Plus labour should hit 3k plus!

I wonder some said can just change the lock mechanism but not entire column?

Anyone ever fix outside AB? How much?

Was hit with the problem quite some time ago. After a few time of software update, the problem gone for good.

FIRZ67;778002 said:
Was hit with the problem quite some time ago. After a few time of software update, the problem gone for good.

Hi FIRZ67, may I know how long you live with such problem during the few times of software update? Do you face car cannot start problem when the warning light show up? I almost face it every start, and I need many time of slot in and out the key fob before I can start. I was told better no drive until problem solve else if the red sign pop up, you can't start at all. I follow Astroboy instruction to step on break first then slot in key fob and immediately press start but it doesn't work. No matter how fast I try it doesn't work. Now I leave my car at home until I get reply from AB. :(

FIRZ67;778002 said:

By the way, what make you update software few time? I just have the software updated last week but problem still remain. Do you think I should go update again? I don't think AB will entertain me.

feelgood;778445 said:
By the way, what make you update software few time? I just have the software updated last week but problem still remain. Do you think I should go update again? I don't think AB will entertain me.

Bro, if you feels that AB will not provide the solution, may I suggest that you seek Ingress Auto, they are more than willing to assist.

feelgood;777966 said:
My 2007 E90SE, clock 48,000 km steering column failed few days ago. AB updated latest software and can't solve the problem. They told me have to change steering column that cost 2.7k. Plus labour should hit 3k plus!

I wonder some said can just change the lock mechanism but not entire column?

Anyone ever fix outside AB? How much?

Is this what u see? It will become red after a while and u can't start the car, there's a trick though to get it started with the red warning.. all e90 owner must learn the trick.. :4:

attachment.php

A write up about the lock mechanism:
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/88/07

This is how to fix it.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483387

Good luck!

feelgood;778444 said:
Hi FIRZ67, may I know how long you live with such problem during the few times of software update? Do you face car cannot start problem when the warning light show up? I almost face it every start, and I need many time of slot in and out the key fob before I can start. I was told better no drive until problem solve else if the red sign pop up, you can't start at all. I follow Astroboy instruction to step on break first then slot in key fob and immediately press start but it doesn't work. No matter how fast I try it doesn't work. Now I leave my car at home until I get reply from AB. :(

My case is not that frequent. I just had it twice through the ownership of the car. I did my software update a few times due to my EGS- related to mechatronic module in the gearbox. Not to resolve the steering lock issues. My steering lock issues is not persistence and I consider it as symptomatic. But I realized that the problem never come back after the software update and could be accidentally resolve the lock issues.

feelgood;778444 said:
.. I follow Astroboy instruction to step on break first then slot in key fob and immediately press start but it doesn't work. No matter how fast I try it doesn't work. Now I leave my car at home until I get reply from AB. :(

Where's the car now? Home? Where u stay?

Top Bottom